San Andreas (Post-release)

(SPOILERS) Saw it yesterday. While the fx were great, the rest of the movie, well, just as lame and ridiculous as could be. In the first 10 minutes of the movie, Rock and his team have to airlift a girl trapped in her car which was just barely hanging onto a cliff. Rock flies his chopper in between the crevasse and hovers just over her. Don't you think the wind from the rotors would have knocked the car loose? I have been around many rescue choppers in my time and the wind from the rotors is very powerful. Then after the earthquake he takes on a one man mission in his rescue chopper with NO crew just to save his wife and daughter. Then he's driving an inflatable with fiberglass hull boat all around the submerged city with debris EVERYWHERE and gee, not one prop strike rendering the boat useless or something puncturing the inflatable sections? Then the dialogue was just ridiculous and cheezy and all the times the daughter should have been killed by what was going on around her and she doesn't get a scratch. Then the Earthquake Center which is in the earthquake areas never once loses power. Everything around them is demolished but they still have full power . Sorry Rock, I love ya, but this movie was pure garbage. Save your money folks. The only good things about this movie was the daughter was smoking hot. And that it ended. And girls, sorry but he doesn't even take his shirt off once in this.

I was going to say for a modern disaster movie the effects look really good from what was the ads, sure beats that turd 2012 but I figured it was going to be pure silliness. They don't make disaster movies like they used to, for all the cheese Irwin Allen is still the master of disaster.

(SPOILERS) Saw it yesterday. While the fx were great, the rest of the movie, well, just as lame and ridiculous as could be. In the first 10 minutes of the movie, Rock and his team have to airlift a girl trapped in her car which was just barely hanging onto a cliff. Rock flies his chopper in between the crevasse and hovers just over her. Don't you think the wind from the rotors would have knocked the car loose? I have been around many rescue choppers in my time and the wind from the rotors is very powerful. Then after the earthquake he takes on a one man mission in his rescue chopper with NO crew just to save his wife and daughter. Then he's driving an inflatable with fiberglass hull boat all around the submerged city with debris EVERYWHERE and gee, not one prop strike rendering the boat useless or something puncturing the inflatable sections? Then the dialogue was just ridiculous and cheezy and all the times the daughter should have been killed by what was going on around her and she doesn't get a scratch. Then the Earthquake Center which is in the earthquake areas never once loses power. Everything around them is demolished but they still have full power . Sorry Rock, I love ya, but this movie was pure garbage. Save your money folks. The only good things about this movie was the daughter was smoking hot. And that it ended. And girls, sorry but he doesn't even take his shirt off once in this.

I saw it Friday night and I really enjoyed it, it's certainly not going to win any Oscars for anything but technicals like FX or sound editing and the like but I found it very enjoyable if a bit predictable. It's what I'd call escapist fun, you really don't have to think too much about, you just sit back and enjoy the ride. I'd compare it to some of the best disaster movies that have come out over the years and a lot less cheesy and over the top than most like 2012, sure some of the destruction seemed perhaps a bit exaggerated but it was supposed to be the biggest quake ever recorded so I give it a pass based on that. Definitely worth the price of admission in my book, it's not the most sophisticated movie you'll see but it's certainly enjoyable.

As far as the aforementioned boat scene goes, you have to take into consideration that it was what's called a rigged hull inflatable boat (RIB) and only the top part of the boat is inflated, the actual hull of the boat is metal or fiberglass and would have no problems going into debris filled water. True that there might be concern for the prop but you have to figure that the vast majority of the debris is going to be floating on the surface so there's little that would likely foul props. The only part involving the boat that I found a bit improbable was
when they rammed the boat into the glass of the building, I thought that it would have realistically bounced right off because the point of impact would have been the inflatable section of the boat, but then again, the mass/weight and speed of the boat might have been enough to punch right through.

Ok what about all that debris? That prop would have not lasted 5 minutes going through all that.

Most of it seemed to be floating, well above where the prop sits and although they never showed just how deep the water was I got the impression that it was pretty deep, deep enough that any sunken debris wouldn't be much of an issue. Besides that, aren't you overthinking what's basically just a simple popcorn flick?

It was a fun film - don't think too hard about it, just enjoy it.

Some things to not think about:
Daniel may have been a jerk, but he builds his building - the windows, at least - TOUGH. After a 9.6 earthquake, they haven't shattered.
Even though land lines run off a different power system than cellphones and the rest of a building's electricity, a quake that strong would likely take out the telephone infrastructure.
After rescuing his wife, the Rock's helicopter shouldn't have had the range to get to San Francisco - and he should have known that.

But, like I said, a fun film.

It was a fun film - don't think too hard about it, just enjoy it.

Some things to not think about:
Daniel may have been a jerk, but he builds his building - the windows, at least - TOUGH. After a 9.6 earthquake, they haven't shattered.
Even though land lines run off a different power system than cellphones and the rest of a building's electricity, a quake that strong would likely take out the telephone infrastructure.
After rescuing his wife, the Rock's helicopter shouldn't have had the range to get to San Francisco - and he should have known that.

But, like I said, a fun film.

In regards to your spoiler:

It's possible for the Rock to have flown from LA to San Fancisco after rescuing his wife, he just wouldn't have had much of a fuel reserve margin is all. According to Wikiedia, the Bell 412 he was flying has a max range of 463 miles, LA to San Francisco is 381.6, but I think this is by land, so it's certainly less as the crow flies. According to Travelmath.com, LA To San Francisco by air is 347 miles, which gives him a 116 mile margin to play with. I'd argue that even after rescuing his wife he probably still had at least half of that 116 mile reserve left after rescuing his wife, it wouldn't have taken that long to fly from the air base to downtown LA, and then he spent maybe 10 - 15 minutes actually trying to rescue her.

The bigger problem was how did he plan on getting back? Even if he hadn't stopped to rescue his wife he still wouldn't have had enough fuel for a round trip, although I suppose that he could have continued north or further east and got pretty well out of the Bay Area and the immediate danger.

Anyway, I definitely agree on it being a fun film.

Saw it on Sunday, good action and disaster, not much story substance imo. The regular was sold out so i had to see it in 3D and sat front row left corner, OMG my neck had me dying at that angle! The 3D wasnt mind blowing, not much debris flew towards the screen so it didnt really make a difference to me. It was a good ride though, if i do see it again it would have to be a non 3D and a middle row seat lol.

Though it was a good ride, the film does have its flaws. Yes, full power in a flood and earthquake made no sense. Even with underground powerlines, the quake split the surface open, and could have snapped the lines somehwere. The story we followed was too... movie-like. We saw victims of the quake, we saw people die all around the heroes/main roles, it would've felt more real if at least one liked character bit it. Having all of the main characters live was just too good to happen in a disaster film. (You see that i said "liked characters" because that one death was just deserved because of the actions and choices made by the character. I thought Giamatti would somehow meet with The Rock at some point, given they each had main roles. It wouldve been nice to see them meet in the aftermath for being heroes and saving people and sharing their stories of what happened to them.

Overall, good action flick, worth another viewing just because it was fun

I just saw this with my kid. Possibly the most unintentionally funny film I've ever seen. It was so ridiculously over the top--like Sharknado without the fish. The both of us laughed our butts off. At the point where they come to the now gaping San Andreas fault I thought the Rock was going to reach over and pull the two halves of California back together like Popeye.

And one woman had a bigger rack than the next one. A bit blatant. The daughter's swimming scene, holy crap!

If MST3K comes back (fingers crossed), this film would be prime fodder.

If you could use a good laugh, absolutely give this a shot.

'At the point where they come to the now gaping San Andreas fault I thought the Rock was going to reach over and pull the two halves of California back together like Popeye.'

That's very funny.

Yeah, terrible movie but the daughter was hot- look for her in the first season of 'True Crime'. Grrrrr!

But it looked great and sounded even better on my home theater, but really bad.

Yeah, terrible movie but the daughter was hot- look for her in the first season of 'True Crime'. Grrrrr!

"True Detective" is what I think you mean.

And yes... Alexandra Daddario is hot enough to make a bishop kick out a stained-glass window. Probably the only one I would choose over Anna Kendrick (though it would be a tough choice with a lot of "Por que no los dos" tossed in).

I looked up Alexandra on IMDB and realized that I had seen her memorable moments in True Detective.

For all its silliness, the film looked great and the acting was fine. The script was just so over the top with the destruction, etc. After all they've been through, did Rock and Sally Jupiter really need to leap from a plane? So many ridiculous moments that it was almost a parody of a disaster flik, but I was laughing so hard that I really had a great time with it.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that weird maneuver at the beginning of the movie when they rescued the woman who drove off a road and bounced into a canyon. The helicopter wouldn't fit so they angled it in somehow?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that weird maneuver at the beginning of the movie when they rescued the woman who drove off a road and bounced into a canyon. The helicopter wouldn't fit so they angled it in somehow?

Oh you mean the one that, had it been actually possible in real life, the pilot would probably be hit with so many fines and safety violations that he'd be lucky to send his daughter to a lemonade stand rather than college and he'd be lucky to get a license to pedal a bicycle? Yeah I just chalk that one up to dramatic license. Still, it's better than the "high speed car jump from one building to another while doing a barrel roll timed just right to have a construction crane clip onto a bomb and remove it from the undercarriage and then land safely" that was in one of the Transporter movies.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back