Sam Raimi mask webbing

zachklausner47

I’m currently making a Sam Raimi Spider-Man mask and I’m trying to find out it it would be cheaper just to cast my own urethane webbing. How would I go about casting my own webbing?

Since the side of the webs that attaches to the suit is flat, you can get away with a one-part mold.

There are a ton of online resources out there on how to do this, so I would defer you to the experts on that.

Sean

I'm very new to this and all I have is a 3d Printer. My thought would be to print the webbing and then make a plaster mold for example to pour urethane into. Would this be possible

I have a little experience with this. Yes, you can use a 3d printer to make the webbing "bucks", and then create a mold from it. However, I personally would avoid a plaster mold, and would aim to create a silicone mold; the reason for this is that plaster molds are typically one-use, and with the webbing being so thin there is a good chance you will rip it and need to pour another. Going through the process of making another plaster mold would just waste time

I have a little experience with this. Yes, you can use a 3d printer to make the webbing "bucks", and then create a mold from it. However, I personally would avoid a plaster mold, and would aim to create a silicone mold; the reason for this is that plaster molds are typically one-use, and with the webbing being so thin there is a good chance you will rip it and need to pour another. Going through the process of making another plaster mold would just waste time
Thank you so much, one more thing where do I get the urethane?

Does anyone know if there is another material besides urethane or even similar to make the webs? Does silicone work?
silicone may work, but be aware you may have trouble getting it to stick. The only thing silicone sticks really well to is silicone, so if you plan on attempting with silicone use a silicone based glue to attach it.

Does anyone know if there is another material besides urethane or even similar to make the webs? Does silicone work?
The film webs in the Raimi trilogy were made of foam latex, but that is a very difficult material for a hobbiest to work with

Urethane is used because for a hobbiest it provides the best balance of being easy to use, easy to acquire, and easy to glue.

Silicone while being easy to acquire is much more difficult to paint and glue, making it something that should only be attempted by extremely experienced people. There's a reason why Spidey4Fun and SpideyPlanet use Urethane for their webs. It's the best balance of traits required.

Thank you so much, one more thing where do I get the urethane?
Smooth-On is your best bet. I'd recommend searching around the RPF a bit first. A lot of basic "where do I get" or "how do I" type questions have been answered here over the years. They might not be able webbing, but they will cover all the same basics to help you get up to speeding your learning endeavors.

I have a few plaster molds I still use today for various flexible/soft castings (latex, rubber, silicone) so I'm not quite sure what you're saying with the plaster being one-use? Sure, if what you're casting is hard and rigid you might ruin the plaster mold (casting plaster in plaster bandage molds are one-time-use), but for all the materials listed above for webs, you should be able to use a plaster mold no problem.

Silicone should work too, you'll just either have to use a LOT of silicone or add a large plaster/resin shell to keep it in the right shape for this size of a mold. My personal recommendation for something as soft and flexible as the webbing is a rigid mold, but I'm sure a silicone mold would work too (for most materials)

Other molding materials I've used for castings consisting of rubber, latex, silicones, etc (mostly for stage prosthetics) that have worked well: bondo/fiberglass mold (stinky and messy, make sure to do in a garage. Would not recommend this for a beginner. Tutorial videos are your friend though) and urethane resin (brushing or pouring works). If you 3D print the webs, just make sure you add some sort of release agent before trying to make a mold of them.

I have a few plaster molds I still use today for various flexible/soft castings (latex, rubber, silicone) so I'm not quite sure what you're saying with the plaster being one-use? Sure, if what you're casting is hard and rigid you might ruin the plaster mold (casting plaster in plaster bandage molds are one-time-use), but for all the materials listed above for webs, you should be able to use a plaster mold no problem.

Silicone should work too, you'll just either have to use a LOT of silicone or add a large plaster/resin shell to keep it in the right shape for this size of a mold. My personal recommendation for something as soft and flexible as the webbing is a rigid mold, but I'm sure a silicone mold would work too (for most materials)

Other molding materials I've used for castings consisting of rubber, latex, silicones, etc (mostly for stage prosthetics) that have worked well: bondo/fiberglass mold (stinky and messy, make sure to do in a garage. Would not recommend this for a beginner. Tutorial videos are your friend though) and urethane resin (brushing or pouring works). If you 3D print the webs, just make sure you add some sort of release agent before trying to make a mold of them.
I appreciate the correction. like I said, I have only a little experience in this department.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back