Sam Flynn Jack-o-Lantern

Zlurpo

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my first portrait carving of the year. Sam Flynn from Tron Legacy. I've taken a few different types of photos to display it.

Here it is lit from the outside. It looks terrible. Parts of the inside look white because there is a piece of paper inside it to diffuse light.
UnlitTronPumpkin.jpg

Classic candle lit:
TronPumpkin-1.jpg

Lit with a flashlight with a piece of paper inside to diffuse the light.
TronGlowing-1.jpg

How do you go about doing these? They look AMAZING! What kind of tools are used?

I print a copy of the photo the size I want, I pin it to the pumpkin and start marking it. I use a razor blade to cut right into the pumpkin a tiny bit through the paper. After I've traced over all the important lines, I start scraping.
PUMPKIN---SCRAPER-SCOOP-5585.jpg

I made tools out of some scrap metal, it's shaped like that picture except they are tiny, and sharp steel. Anywhere it needs to be really bright, I cut all the way through. It's a lot like portrait drawing (which I do a lot of) but with scraping instead of pencil...

Amazing work. The identity disc adds the perfect touch to this. Well done. You certainly put whatever pumpkin I carve to shame.

Oh wow! I have never seen anything like this before might have to try it (with an easier design lol) next halloween :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back