Safely shipping one of a kind pieces internationally?

SiGeCore

Hey guys!

I've started taking on a few freelance commissions, and I recently acquired my first international client. What is the best process for protecting custom, one of a kind pieces during international shipping? Recommend any shipping company?

A couple of my main concerns:
Lost package: How should I best protect myself from the shipping company losing a package, the package being stolen etc.
Damaged Package: If a package were to be damaged, what steps would I take? Would they only cover the value of materials, or the value of the entire finished piece?
Electronics: A majority of my works incorporate a lot of electronics, is there any concern with this raising any red flags at international customs?
Insurance: Should I purchase the insurance offered by the shipping company, or by third party? Insure for exact amount client paid or for more?

Any other tips would be super appreciated!

Last edited:
The only advice I have is make sure to package the thing you're shipping well! Three inches on all sides and pack it so that if you shake it, you won't hear it budge at all!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back