Limited Run SaberBay DARKSABER season 3 finish now available (limited quantities) saberbay.com

Is there any news about the Chinese factory and shipping?
So here is where we are at.
We approved the last protypes we got with a few notes(that the 3d printed parts for the windows and buttons be switches to clear resin so the button could illuminate better and the emitter windows glow and that the hand guard details greeblies be printed in a finish that was closer to the hilt, not a huge thing if they had to be painted by end user as they came out more matte, but we requested this)

In December We paid 60% for the batch payment( meaning we have already paid for 5 prototypes and the cost of those prototypes is high, was around $11,000 but gets taken out of the batch invoice, the cost for mass quantity production)

The invoice said 6-8 weeks. I always double what they say. So I assumed march early april.
I message every week and they say its on track and show me photos of the process.
Then the chinese government 0 covid policy lockdowns happened in their area and I assumed they were already behind and this pushed them farther behind.

Mid april they sent me photos and I spotted that they did not listen to our request about changing the finish of the 3d printed parts finish( even though they acknowledged and agreed to the request) and they used an outdated file for the coupler part. the coupler is the part the chassis attatched to and where the optional crystal chamber is placed.
They argued with me they were using the correct file. I showed them evidence they used the wrong one.
This took 3 weeks just to get them to agree they used the wrong part and begin adjusting what they made to match the correct file.
The difference between the correct file and the one they used was just some material had to be removed on what they already made.
So the couplers are being fixed and everything else is begin anodized.

The shop doing the blade for us is to print the parts out of the finish we needed( its costing a lot more but we are happy to pay it) and they are very reliable.

The other issue we have is the shop making the hilt parts is telling us they can not do for us what they did for the main handle. Namely to anodize all black then polish off the grips to expose to the raw alu. This is frustrating because this was the agreed finish but they are saying it will take 3 months. Forget that we say! From what they deliver we then take it to a local shop to powder coat in black chrome.
So our solution to this is to have them deliver this part in raw aluminum(either sand blaster or polished) then we will enamel spray black then removed the enamel from the top grips to expose the alu, then take to the powder coaters to powder coat the whole piece making it very durable as well, no need to worry about the enamel wearing down because will have the powder coating over it.
This process will be a lot more work for us but in the end it will be a better finish because the enamel will smooth out any un avoidable tooling marks in the grooves, anodizing does not do this.
Also when the shop was removing the anodizing they were doing it with a polisher and it did remove some aluminum and make it un even in some places.

We are sorry for these delays, we can promise though it will be worth the wait and it means the blades and crystal chamber could be ready as well.

When we feel confident with the hilt shops shipping we will let everyone know.

Please let us know have you any questions or concerns.

Will the final product have the same/similar color to the prototype images in the main post, or will there be parts we will need to paint ourselves?

As a separate question. How would you rate the potential dueling grade?

Sorry everyone celebration has been a doozy
Been so slammed

Devin shared some photos of the mando prop
It looks resin or 3D printed
The colors look pretty attainable via a method that Malibu here on the rpf has helped us with
Regarding masking
It can allow us to mask the recessed areas so the grips get sand blasted before anodizing so it gives the two tone effect or we can anodize the whole piece then mask the recessed areas again the sand blast to give an effect more like what we see here with the fx prop

Attachments

• 96EDA705-EBAB-47A4-BFF8-95F19DBFB244.jpeg
    96EDA705-EBAB-47A4-BFF8-95F19DBFB244.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 383
  • 47114E10-A101-42DB-8DED-E8E61487F49B.jpeg
    47114E10-A101-42DB-8DED-E8E61487F49B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 358
  • F725A1CC-280B-4134-A85E-8183BDC8E952.jpeg
    F725A1CC-280B-4134-A85E-8183BDC8E952.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 310
  • 97DC0301-C90D-4849-8382-5901981586AF.jpeg
    97DC0301-C90D-4849-8382-5901981586AF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 304
  • 0D37D08F-107F-491D-AD87-E4A845DBCBBA.jpeg
    0D37D08F-107F-491D-AD87-E4A845DBCBBA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 276
  • 4595204A-6011-4C82-89B8-46126DEB7643.jpeg
    4595204A-6011-4C82-89B8-46126DEB7643.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 278
  • 34DC45EB-04DE-47A9-AC27-A1D582EC34CD.jpeg
    34DC45EB-04DE-47A9-AC27-A1D582EC34CD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 281
  • 27B83DA1-20A5-454C-8317-1A0BEB33963A.jpeg
    27B83DA1-20A5-454C-8317-1A0BEB33963A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 406
Sorry everyone celebration has been a doozy
Been so slammed

Devin shared some photos of the mando prop
It looks resin or 3D printed
The colors look pretty attainable via a method that Malibu here on the rpf has helped us with
Regarding masking
It can allow us to mask the recessed areas so the grips get sand blasted before anodizing so it gives the two tone effect or we can anodize the whole piece then mask the recessed areas again the sand blast to give an effect more like what we see here with the fx prop
I was there too, i noticed how thin the handle was, is the one you’re making as thin too?

I was there too, i noticed how thin the handle was, is the one you’re making as thin too?
sure is, profile looks identical imho. Here is a video of Goth 3d Design testing how well the switch assembly
stays in places and how it pops off.
It is a method that Gustavo and I came up with. I asked him to move position of two of the magnets after our first proto and change the shpare so removing handle would break the magnetic force and allow it to pop off without a fus

Also we had to use a different shop for the clear parts that light is mean to shine thru like the blade plug, the windows and the main button because the shop making the hilts could not access the correct resin for printing because of shortages, So the shop making the blades are actually making those parts now. It cost more but it is better this way because I think the resin they are using is better than any other option out there

Sounds like a lot has been in motion and still is! Do you have an estimated eta on anything? It just waiting till parts are complete? I for one am willing to wait and this is going to be such an outstanding piece!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back