Limited Run SaberBay DARKSABER season 3 finish now available (limited quantities) saberbay.com

Getting in by the skin of my teeth I think. Got my reserve email sent. This is incredible looking. The love and effort you all have put into this over the last two years is insane!

Although thinking about it more this was suppose to be for the best screen accurate Darksaber. As of last night with all the close ups we got
to the studio saber clearly its a real glossy finish. No matter what I prefer I think you guys should go glossy. I'd rather go screen accurate than preference. Either or it's going to be a stunning looking saber.

I would at least like to see an assembled hilt with the gloss finish before committing.

I reckon from your description of the finish in person plus the fact we could dull it ourselves afterwards it sounds good.

But I don't want to speak on anyone's behalf.
Agreed. We can always bring the finish back to exactly where we want it personally.

The glossy coat finish is true more to the studio saber. However I disagree. I would prefer the matte finish over the gloss finish I personally think it looks way better matte
are speaking of the whole hilt finish or just the main handle ie the difference between our 2 powder coat options?

Also
The Reserve period will be ending on 02/11/22

Will you be able to get one if you have not reserved after this date?
There will be a limited amount available after the customers who reserved will be taken care of but they will be released at higher cost and will likely go very quickly.

are speaking of the whole hilt finish or just the main handle ie the difference between our 2 powder coat options?
Honestly I was talking about the whole hilt finish. But after I posted that comment I honestly think the glossy finish will be best due to it would be more accurate to the studio hilt.

Yeah, I like the matte look as well, but clearly those finished and the textured finish is more in line with the 3d print and original artist renderings.

This post was changed as after the last episode there is just no way we could justify having the parts anodized in matte, the hero prop is clearly glossy/shiny. Our offering will clearly be a mixture of the season 2 and 3 as opposed to 1 and 2. The season 1 version was 3d printed. These last two are clearly machined.
This relates to the above post.
In light of this second attempt for the two tone on the main handle, we have asked the factory to finish one sample in flat black for the other parts for us to decide on the final color.
What does that mean?
We will have on hand the ability to make 4 color versions to decide the final finish Via a poll
Options will be.
1)Parts In Black Gloss and our first attempt two toned handle (which we have seen and have in hand and already shared )

2)Parts In Black Gloss and our second attempt two toned handle (which we have seen and have in hand and already shared )

So what we are waiting on now is the factory to delivery the last sample for quality control in flat black and for us to take pictures of the above options and take a poll

When the poll and pictures are ready we will email everyone on the run.
We will announce the reserve closure shortly after that.
Thank you ALL for your patience and support
This post was changed as after the last episode there is just no way we could justify having the parts anodized in matte, the hero prop is clearly glossy/shiny. Our offering will clearly be a mixture of the season 2 and 3 as opposed to 1 and 2. The season 1 version was 3d printed. These last two are clearly machined.

C

any chance you could repost the pics of Option 1 and 2 as we know them currently? Just for reference.

I’m not sure what version if which we are talking about anymore. So I’ll just say I always prefer as screen accurate as possible. My interest in this run stemmed from the focus on accuracy, so that would be my vote.

Problem is-- what is "screen" accurate when it has changed with every appearance. I think most would prefer what we JUST saw on Book of Boba Fett as it seems to be the culmination of all the designs and builds up until now.

An analagous situation to this would be like we started looking at a repro of the Graflex as of ANH, then ESB comes out, and little by little we all start spotting all the variations in the movie.

Problem is-- what is "screen" accurate when it has changed with every appearance. I think most would prefer what we JUST saw on Book of Boba Fett as it seems to be the culmination of all the designs and builds up until now.

An analagous situation to this would be like we started looking at a repro of the Graflex as of ANH, then ESB comes out, and little by little we all start spotting all the variations in the movie.
Exactly, which is why our will be a mix of season 2 and 3 in the end. 3 in the coloring and season 2 as it has the practical screws for holding a blade that are clearly seen, like on kylos functional saber you can see the grub screws that hold the side blades that you cant see on hero resin prop

I'm on the fence about this!! This appears to be the most accurate hilt size, but I just want to see more pics with the paint, I can't seem to find them in the forum. Probably keep scrolling past them ugh

he here is the second less glossy attempt for the main handle powdercoating

Attachments

• 38DEE224-541A-4AC5-890A-79C6E1721236.jpeg
    38DEE224-541A-4AC5-890A-79C6E1721236.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 331

Of course. Attempting to make decisions guided by the screen used versions is all I’m in favor of. If it’s the season 2 or 3, that’s fine. But if you have a choice between a color/finish/feature seen on screen and one that hasn’t been, I’d prefer screen used features. That doesn’t mean I’m expecting a perfect 1:1 replica.

The black glossier finish on the emitter area should match the lower black areas of the handle , then the raised grips should be the nice greyish look that Shane did , and it’ll be perfect IMO
Unfortunately a finish like that is going to be very hard to do manually, my suggested technique was to do the high gloss powdercoat over the handle, and the raised areas can be dulled down to the user's liking using a very fine steel wool. Matching the handle gloss to the emitter area is comparing anodizing to powdercoating though

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back