Limited Run SaberBay DARKSABER season 3 finish now available (limited quantities) saberbay.com

I gotta say….
This attempt looks great. The textured/dark look of the secondary tone on the grips looks spot on.
Only disadvantage The recessed areas of the main grip are more satin/flat compared to the high gloss of the rest of the parts.
I have asked the factory to try the last sample in flat black anodizing for us to decide to see if it could be more cohesive.
Then we can compare and see what combo looks best
Getting really excited!

I think the aesthetic of Shane’s work was better, the black parts should be glossy and the raised grips should be a dark greyish textured look. This version is too monochrome.

I think the aesthetic of Shane’s work was better, the black parts should be glossy and the raised grips should be a dark greyish textured look. This version is too monochrome.
Here is the thing. The other option the grey area did not look textured and the recessed areas looked a little too glossy.
This 2nd attempt the grey areas looked textured and spot on but the recessed areas look a little to matte compared bro rest of the body.
We don't know exactly the finsih, if it's glossy or matte.
I think everyone sees the renders that the original artist of the prop shared and just assume the end product ended up being as shiny and glossy as that render. Renders typically show a very glossy finish, but in reality on set a matte finish may have been used especially on a set for a galaxy far far away where things typically are not glossy and shiny unless made by the empire.
There may also be a difference between the season 1 and season 2 surface finish.

We are just trying to find the right balance.

Here is the thing. The other option the grey area did not look textured and the recessed areas looked a little too glossy.
This 2nd attempt the grey areas looked textured and spot on but the recessed areas look a little to matte compared bro rest of the body.
We don't know exactly the finsih, if it's glossy or matte.
I think everyone sees the renders that the original artist of the prop shared and just assume the end product ended up being as shiny and glossy as that render. Renders typically show a very glossy finish, but in reality on set a matte finish may have been used especially on a set for a galaxy far far away where things typically are not glossy and shiny unless made by the empire.
There may also be a difference between the season 1 and season 2 surface finish.

We are just trying to find the right balance.

Gotchya. I’m sure it will turn out great.

This relates to the above post.
In light of this second attempt for the two tone on the main handle, we have asked the factory to finish one sample in flat black for the other parts for us to decide on the final color.
What does that mean?
We will have on hand the ability to make 4 color versions to decide the final finish Via a poll
Options will be.
1)Parts In Black Gloss and our first attempt two toned handle (which we have seen and have in hand and already shared )

2)Parts In Black Gloss and our second attempt two toned handle (which we have seen and have in hand and already shared )

So what we are waiting on now is the factory to delivery the last sample for quality control in flat black and for us to take pictures of the above options and take a poll

When the poll and pictures are ready we will email everyone on the run.
We will announce the reserve closure shortly after that.
Thank you ALL for your patience and support

Last edited:
The Book of Boba Fett screenshot.

so I think we can all agree after that episode that the gloss is the correct finish?
Screenshot 2022-01-26 232506.png

Edit: brightened image.
Screenshot 2022-01-26 232506~2.png

1643286246202.png

Last edited:
Can you provide an update on how many reserves have been made? Is there a brief summary on what the blade will cost? Trying to figure out the total price before making a decision on making a reservation without reading back through all 17 pages.

Looks like these screws at the emitters side are not on the hero prop. Still possible to have it without those screws like seen the recent boba episode?

The Book of Boba Fett screenshot.
so I think we can all agree after that episode that the gloss is the correct finish?View attachment 1538864

I am glad to know ours is the right size! Every other offering out there it is clearly too big
Looks like these screws at the emitters side are not on the hero prop. Still possible to have it without those screws like seen the recent boba episode?
the hero prop does not hold a blade.
Ours is meant to hold a blade so it will have those screws

Yes the black areas are glossy and the raised areas on the handle are greyish. I really hope we can get the look that Shane did.
Shane did both powder coating test.
And it’s looking like the first one is VERY close.
Likely we will jus stick to that.
We still take pictures of all the options before committing since handle finish will be the last step

Last edited:
Can you provide an update on how many reserves have been made? Is there a brief summary on what the blade will cost? Trying to figure out the total price before making a decision on making a reservation without reading back through all 17 pages.
There is around 170 reserves
With it closing soon we likely will not hit 200
So price of hilt kit is 400$ and blade kit will be in the 250$ range

This is looking great! Can’t wait to see the finish. I hadn’t checked in for a while, and I’m glad I didn’t miss the cut off. Sent an email out this morning to reserve a spot, just waiting for the invoice.

The glossy coat finish is true more to the studio saber. However I disagree. I would prefer the matte finish over the gloss finish I personally think it looks way better matte

Hey Everyone I think we could safely say that the matte black finish is not desirable.... the glossier the better it seems....
So I may ask the factory to skip trying a matte black finish.
I really think our first attempts were the best
I would at least like to see an assembled hilt with the gloss finish before committing.

I reckon from your description of the finish in person plus the fact we could dull it ourselves afterwards it sounds good.

But I don't want to speak on anyone's behalf.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back