Limited Run SaberBay DARKSABER season 3 finish now available (limited quantities) saberbay.com

Looks good. Rubber seems like a good choice, though the grips are definitely much darker than expected. The grips on the show are on the darker gray side, but there is still a decent amount of contrast between the hilt color (at least at some angles). These two colors blend quite a bit, at least from the current prototype and photos. We’ll have to see what it looks like on the final version.

We are not set on the rubber, we are checking with the shop on one more all ALU option.

Remember when the shows are released there color correction and contrast as well.
For those who want to match a lighter color maybe they can paint the top.
We will let everyone know when the shop checks in on the other option and gets back to us

Looks good. Rubber seems like a good choice, though the grips are definitely much darker than expected. The grips on the show are on the darker gray side, but there is still a decent amount of contrast between the hilt color (at least at some angles). These two colors blend quite a bit, at least from the current prototype and photos. We’ll have to see what it looks like on the final version.
sorry had to edit my response it made no sense LOL

We are not set on the rubber, we are checking with the shop on one more all ALU option.

Remember when the shows are released there color correction and contrast as well.
For those who want to match a lighter color maybe they can paint the top.
We will let everyone know when the shop checks in on the other option and gets back to us

Yeah, this is like the Leia hilt argument. What you think you see and what is real. Like you said, it’s easy enough for the owner to make modifications if they prefer it a certain way. I appreciate the transparency.

Just an update. We are looking into abandoning rubber grips altogether and not because they will degrade( kinda we use in saber application can handle oils and moisture) or Because the look Bad but because risk of falling off. We are looking into full aluminum. With thin grip material on just the top layer. Which is a closer look to the render.
If that does not work well we may just have top of the grips bare alu and can be painted by end user with texture enamels

Just my $0.02 here... I did some searching and found a few possible solutions if you go full aluminum hilt and grips. The first is a Rust-Oleum textured spray paint in pewter, and a textured adhesive vinyl.

On close inspection of the Paul Ozzimo renders, the texture is a series of squiggly raised lines similar to the vinyl, unfortunate the vinyl is black and not a dark grey. The rendered texture may be hard to duplicate in any medium. However, I think it would be virtually impossible to tell the difference with the naked eye between the textured paint and the rendering.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does anyone even know if the grip is textured on the screen used prop???

Anywho, I have no problem tending to this little detail myself. I have paid more for an empty hilt than I will be paying for this high quality hilt and blade combined!

Like I said, Just my $0.02...

Paint

Vinyl

Just my $0.02 here... I did some searching and found a few possible solutions if you go full aluminum hilt and grips. The first is a Rust-Oleum textured spray paint in pewter, and a textured adhesive vinyl.

On close inspection of the Paul Ozzimo renders, the texture is a series of squiggly raised lines similar to the vinyl, unfortunate the vinyl is black and not a dark grey. The rendered texture may be hard to duplicate in any medium. However, I think it would be virtually impossible to tell the difference with the naked eye between the textured paint and the rendering.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does anyone even know if the grip is textured on the screen used prop???

Anywho, I have no problem tending to this little detail myself. I have paid more for an empty hilt than I will be paying for this high quality hilt and blade combined!

Like I said, Just my $0.02...

Paint

Vinyl
yeah there is no way an rustoleum spray is going to be done any factory. they work with powder coating and anodizing. you would have to make jig or be very meticulous about masking which would very much increase prices.
We think we found something along the lines that we need.
no one knows exactly yet what they looked on set. There is one person on the run who was on the set and has advised on the shade of grey but not the texture.
So we are trying to base it off the renders since thats the only close reference of the grips and it seems to be what the hasbro and disney parks one used

yeah there is no way an rustoleum spray is going to be done any factory. they work with powder coating and anodizing. you would have to make jig or be very meticulous about masking which would very much increase prices.
We think we found something along the lines that we need.
no one knows exactly yet what they looked on set. There is one person on the run who was on the set and has advised on the shade of grey but not the texture.
So we are trying to base it off the renders since thats the only close reference of the grips and it seems to be what the hasbro and disney parks one used

Cool beans! I'm sure whatever you decide on will be great.

My post was meant to shed some light on possible textures if the end user was to decide on what they wanted to use on the grip. Using these products on your end would indeed take an exorbitant amount of time! And I completely forgot about the texture powder coating...

While we wait for the improved parts, here are more pics of the prototype... oops I forgot to put the vent covers...

IMG_3729.JPGIMG_3731.JPGIMG_3732.JPGIMG_3735.JPGIMG_3736.JPGIMG_3737.JPGIMG_3740.JPGIMG_3742.JPGIMG_3743.JPGIMG_3744.JPG

Cool beans! I'm sure whatever you decide on will be great.

My post was meant to shed some light on possible textures if the end user was to decide on what they wanted to use on the grip. Using these products on your end would indeed take an exorbitant amount of time! And I completely forgot about the texture powder coating...
Yes the conclusion you came to is a good one though.
I looked far and wide for something to match Rust-Oleum textured spray actually

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back