Saber Sketches!

franz bolo

Sr Member
*FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN SKETCHES*

Here's some drawings from my sketchbook.

The 5 Sabers at the bottom were done in Illustrator. I want to build a custom saber, and I thought up the Liquid Plasma core design.

There will be a tube filled with liquid that will screw into the endcap and be visible through some holes drilled in the hilt.

I'd like to light it up from inside to make it look like it's glowing.

FB

sabersketch.gif

*FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN SKETCHES*

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by franz bolo@Aug 26 2005, 04:08 PM
Here's some drawings from my sketchbook.

The 5 Sabers at the bottom were done in Illustrator. I want to build a custom saber, and I thought up the Liquid Plasma core design.

There will be a tube filled with liquid that will screw into the endcap and be visible through some holes drilled in the hilt.

I'd like to light it up from inside to make it look like it's glowing.

FB

Those are some great designs. :thumbsup I had a similar idea regarding the liquid but in mine it was to have some pearlescent mateiral so you could see the light shining through it and it would swirl when you moved the hilt, you could probably do the same.

franz bolo, do you work in the Casket or Funeral industry?

That "liquid Plasma" tube looks an AWFUL lot like a casket Memorial Record tube. Most people don't kow that caskets have them as it blends in as part of the design. Each meatal casket has a tube that looks just like that with information about the descease inside.

(I was a mortician for two years. thas how I know)

SurferGeek, thanks. Good Idea on the liquid. I'm still not sure exactly what I would use. I remember making a Wave Tube for a science class project when I was a kid. Like the ones at the mall that tilt back and forth. I don't know if the effect will look that good because the view holes are to small.

Jack Bauer, No, I'm a designer by trade. Click my link to see some of my work..

Interesting info on the Record Tube. I've never heard of it. Do you have any pics? I'll check Google in a minute. Maybe I can use one of those instead of making the tube myself.

I got the idea for the core from a lightsaber Display Rack I was designing. The sabers would be like cryogenic tubes that would slide 3/4 of the way into a wall for storage/display. They would be backlit and glow.

FB

I really like your designs...

A couple of them look like some I've drawn up :)...not implying you stole or even saw my ideas...I just think it's cool that we've thought along similar lines...

For example...here's my dollar saber from last year...but instead of Plasma tube inside, it has a "bacta" tube on the control box...and on my windvane area below the emitter, it's rounded and bulged out like your design...

Yours
fbolo29rd.jpg

Mine
21rsa7si.jpg

And the 3rd one on the right is very close to one I did as my ultimate saber, when I get a new lathe...

Yours

fbolo18fb.jpg

Mine
custom2cprs9yq.jpg

Very cool my friend...

Now, are you gonna build em???

Thanks for all the feedback. I show my wife and co-workers, but they think I'm a little odd, and really don't appreciate what it is.

Serafino, thanks. And it's not even an OWK :lol

Sporak, good ideas. I love the Luke ROTJ and the OWK saber, so pieces of their design pop up here and there in my designs.

My favorite design element so far is the little 'Bridge' pieces that connect the 2 sections together.
The liquid will show through the gap. I don't know how strong this will be, but I still need to refine it.

bridge.gif

I'm slowly trying to find someone with the machinery to make them first. Eventually, I might break down and buy a lathe.

FB

For the one with the liquid in it, why don't you find like... a straight shot glass and use that for the tube? I figure it'll hold the liquid the best, you know? And you could even shine a white LED in the middle of it while using like... green colored oil.

Just a thought. I love the idea's though.

The size would be more like a long test tube so I think a shot glass would be to big. Plus I want the end to be rounded.

I could put some green liquor in it though. :D

FB

Here's some more sketches I scanned:

The 2nd from the Left (middle row) pommel was inspired by the Electrostaff, and the Tube on Howards 'Victorian Blaster'.

There's also some Japanese influenced elements.

sabersketch2.gif

I hope people can post some of their own drawings.

FB

Have you thought about using the kind of tubes hospitals use to draw blood into for your tube? its plastic, air tight, and rounded on the end, looks a LOT like your drawing...

Awesome sketches. I've seen some heavy duty flash lights that were clear (shatterproof plexiglass) that maybe would be the right size for a saber hilt. About 3/4" in diameter and about 5 to 6 inches long. They are water tight also. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in the pot.

I don't have any scanners, so I can't post sketches, but I did build a lightsaber out of a bulls horn for the hilt. Got the idea from reading the Star Wars novels. Tenel Ka built hers from a Rancor's Tooth. :D

JC

p0sitr0nic: good idea. My friends wife works as a nurse, and she's going to get me a bunch of different sizes to check out.

Jedi Conductor: Is your saber loud? :eek :eek :eek

Durasteel Corporation: In the back of my mind I was thinking more Art Deco, but I guess there are some gothic elements in there.

FB

I really like the one on the right middle row and the 4th from the left handle on the bottom.

You could do some of these parts with sculpey over a metal tube...then silver leaf or rub and buff.
I see these as a sculpture...each part hand made , rather than a machined saber.
Truly a work of art.

I'm seeing these as more Gothic too...Deco elements here and there, but definately Goth ;)

Originally posted by franz bolo@Aug 29 2005, 11:41 PM
Here's some more sketches I scanned:

Irishjedi: did you render those yourself? Pretty nice.

Sporak: Thanks, the one you mentioned was inspired by Japanese Samurai Swords. It's real crafty, and I agree on the machining part. It would look sweet hand made.

I really like the design below.

On the Left is the original Sketch, Middle is Illustrator, and Right is the color scheme. I'm finally happy with this one, but I'll still refine it and work out how it will actually function.

Eventually, with a little luck, I'll be able to make it.

AD_saber_1.gif

FB

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back