Saber Sketches!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by franz bolo, Aug 26, 2005.

1. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

*FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN SKETCHES*

Here's some drawings from my sketchbook.

The 5 Sabers at the bottom were done in Illustrator. I want to build a custom saber, and I thought up the Liquid Plasma core design.

There will be a tube filled with liquid that will screw into the endcap and be visible through some holes drilled in the hilt.

I'd like to light it up from inside to make it look like it's glowing.

FB

[​IMG]

*FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN SKETCHES*

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those are some great designs. :thumbsup I had a similar idea regarding the liquid but in mine it was to have some pearlescent mateiral so you could see the light shining through it and it would swirl when you moved the hilt, you could probably do the same.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

franz bolo, do you work in the Casket or Funeral industry?

That "liquid Plasma" tube looks an AWFUL lot like a casket Memorial Record tube. Most people don't kow that caskets have them as it blends in as part of the design. Each meatal casket has a tube that looks just like that with information about the descease inside.

(I was a mortician for two years. thas how I know)

4. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

SurferGeek, thanks. Good Idea on the liquid. I'm still not sure exactly what I would use. I remember making a Wave Tube for a science class project when I was a kid. Like the ones at the mall that tilt back and forth. I don't know if the effect will look that good because the view holes are to small.

Jack Bauer, No, I'm a designer by trade. Click my link to see some of my work..

Interesting info on the Record Tube. I've never heard of it. Do you have any pics? I'll check Google in a minute. Maybe I can use one of those instead of making the tube myself.

I got the idea for the core from a lightsaber Display Rack I was designing. The sabers would be like cryogenic tubes that would slide 3/4 of the way into a wall for storage/display. They would be backlit and glow.

FB

5. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Great ideas Franz.

6. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I really like your designs...

A couple of them look like some I've drawn up :)...not implying you stole or even saw my ideas...I just think it's cool that we've thought along similar lines...

For example...here's my dollar saber from last year...but instead of Plasma tube inside, it has a "bacta" tube on the control box...and on my windvane area below the emitter, it's rounded and bulged out like your design...

Yours
    [​IMG]

Mine
    [​IMG]

And the 3rd one on the right is very close to one I did as my ultimate saber, when I get a new lathe...

Yours

[​IMG]

Mine
    [​IMG]

Very cool my friend...

Now, are you gonna build em???

7. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

hey sporak

That last saber looks like its got an "equalibrium function" on it :D

D

8. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I show my wife and co-workers, but they think I'm a little odd, and really don't appreciate what it is.

Serafino, thanks. And it's not even an OWK :lol

Sporak, good ideas. I love the Luke ROTJ and the OWK saber, so pieces of their design pop up here and there in my designs.

My favorite design element so far is the little 'Bridge' pieces that connect the 2 sections together.
    The liquid will show through the gap. I don't know how strong this will be, but I still need to refine it.

[​IMG]

I'm slowly trying to find someone with the machinery to make them first. Eventually, I might break down and buy a lathe.

FB

9. Mega Gigan

Mega Gigan Well-Known Member

For the one with the liquid in it, why don't you find like... a straight shot glass and use that for the tube? I figure it'll hold the liquid the best, you know? And you could even shine a white LED in the middle of it while using like... green colored oil.

Just a thought. I love the idea's though.

10. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

The size would be more like a long test tube so I think a shot glass would be to big. Plus I want the end to be rounded.

I could put some green liquor in it though. :D

FB

11. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Here's some more sketches I scanned:

The 2nd from the Left (middle row) pommel was inspired by the Electrostaff, and the Tube on Howards 'Victorian Blaster'.

There's also some Japanese influenced elements.

[​IMG]

I hope people can post some of their own drawings.

FB

12. p0sitr0nic

p0sitr0nic Well-Known Member

Have you thought about using the kind of tubes hospitals use to draw blood into for your tube? its plastic, air tight, and rounded on the end, looks a LOT like your drawing...

13. Jedi Conductor

Jedi Conductor New Member

Awesome sketches. I've seen some heavy duty flash lights that were clear (shatterproof plexiglass) that maybe would be the right size for a saber hilt. About 3/4" in diameter and about 5 to 6 inches long. They are water tight also. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in the pot.

I don't have any scanners, so I can't post sketches, but I did build a lightsaber out of a bulls horn for the hilt. Got the idea from reading the Star Wars novels. Tenel Ka built hers from a Rancor's Tooth. :D

JC

14. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

yes, very cool sketches...a curious 'gothic' phenomenon seems to be happening.

Just make sure not to stab yourself when getting mauly on someones *. :lol

15. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

p0sitr0nic: good idea. My friends wife works as a nurse, and she's going to get me a bunch of different sizes to check out.

Jedi Conductor: Is your saber loud? :eek :eek :eek

Durasteel Corporation: In the back of my mind I was thinking more Art Deco, but I guess there are some gothic elements in there.

FB

16. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

Always happy to post these (from about 4 years ago):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Todd

17. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I really like the one on the right middle row and the 4th from the left handle on the bottom.

You could do some of these parts with sculpey over a metal tube...then silver leaf or rub and buff.
    I see these as a sculpture...each part hand made , rather than a machined saber.
    Truly a work of art.

I'm seeing these as more Gothic too...Deco elements here and there, but definately Goth ;)

18. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Irishjedi: did you render those yourself? Pretty nice.

Sporak: Thanks, the one you mentioned was inspired by Japanese Samurai Swords. It's real crafty, and I agree on the machining part. It would look sweet hand made.

I really like the design below.

On the Left is the original Sketch, Middle is Illustrator, and Right is the color scheme. I'm finally happy with this one, but I'll still refine it and work out how it will actually function.

Eventually, with a little luck, I'll be able to make it.

[​IMG]

FB

19. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Dude:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for rendering that for me all those years ago. Seems like only yesterday...

;)

20. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Any more custom sketches?

FB

21. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Well-Known Member

The glowing liquid effect could easily be done by sticking a Cyalume lightstick in the hilt.

22. The Clone Emperor

The Clone Emperor Well-Known Member

I enjoy your sabre sketches Franz. I would love to see some of these realized as physical props.

I happen to have a couple sketches online for the ocassion;
    (Sketches from 2002.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the final sabre;
    [​IMG]
    The hilt accepts a el blade but requires a power pack that I wear in my belt, fed by a hidden cable.

[​IMG]
    No photoediting of the sabre blade. The EL wire is in a blue tinted acrylic tube. Nice effect both in natural lighting and with flash.

Be well,
    Thomas

ps Last night I uploaded two pages of sketches of side arms for my on going DURGE project.

23. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Thanks for the idea Luke Warmwater. The only problem is the plastic is to opaque.
    Plus I wanted it to look like a vial of glowing liquid.

I did find some nice glass Cigar Tubes that I might use.

The Clone Emperor, here's a sketch Of my new one I'm working on right now.
    I'm going to get the hilt machined out of Brass and Aluminum.

The piece in the picture is a Balance Pipe from a NENE 10 Engine, and the brass piece is from Garden hose adapters. I'll add these to the machined hilt. The silver piece isn't going to be used.

It's a fun project so far.

[​IMG]

FB

24. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Here's a design I've been playing around with:

[​IMG]

The plan is to use polished copper pipe for the main body pieces with a small section of PVC to join them. Through the cut-outs in the PVC, you can see some red EL wire glowing through. The spike near the emitter are three sets of finger bones. The upper and lower grips (it's meant to be used 2-handed) are wrapped, katana-style, in either a thin leather or in a flat-braided cord (similar to a very wide shoelace). The red area at the top is the activation switch.

Frank - how do you see your last design (which I like a lot, BTW) being held? The clear area towards the top that houses your liquid core seems like it would not only be slippery (smooth glass under a sweaty hand is not an ideal combination), but too fragile for use in a battle.

25. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Cool design. That would be cool if the fingers all moved from a closed position to an opened one when the saber is turned on.

I did a sketch with the Japanese sword wrap HERE.

The one I'm going to make won't have the liquid like the one on the first page. The one I'm doing will be made in sections, so I will work on a liquid one after this one is built.

I think Lexan tubes are pretty strong. These are really only for display though.

This will be aluminum. That is where you would hold it though. I might do a couple of checkering bands, but I have to learn how to do it first.

There won't be EL or LED at the moment. Since it's my first (non Sink Tube) Saber, I'll get a lot of ideas once it's done.

FB

26. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

At the request of FB, I'm posting the virtual 3D CAD model I rendered over New Years and posted on another thread dedicated to this particular (and as-yet unclaimed) original custom design:

Being as I love all things art-deco, I decided that this would be my first "virtual prop" of 2006 (hey, it rained all day... :p ):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spring-action lever in the open and closed positions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally, the exploded view:

[​IMG]

As the images demonstrate, I designed the saber to be manufacturable. Assuming the brass spacers and radial fins are not painted, they and the rings would have to be stacked. Also, in order to align the lanyard ring insert with the activation lever, I used two 4.5" long 1/4-20 socket cap screws instead of the traditional 3/8" threaded rod. I then stack the front elements and secure them to the "clamp body" using a 6.5" long 3/8-16 socket cap screw. All the parts would either be finished in a high polish or plated, for that true art-deco look. :)

Who's ever design this is, I really enjoyed interpreting the 2D drawing and piecing the 3D assembly together. I make no claims to and reserve no rights to the original design or the manner in which I interpreted it for fabrication and assembly. If anybody would like copies of the 3D files in IGES or SAT file format, please let me know. I don't plan on generating 2D blueprints for any of the parts, although that can be done once the 3D files are imported into your CAD software.

Hope you enjoyed my little exercise, and may it inspire others to bring their own ideas to life. Thanks to Whacky for hosting. :D

- Gabe

27. Planettera

Planettera Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is one I designed, what do you guys think?

While back, I made a quick scetch of a saber I designed on my way back from work. Wish I had the machining skills to make this one.

Eric

[​IMG]

28. Crimsonnaire

Crimsonnaire Well-Known Member

Plannetera, I find your design to be one of the most original ones here.

I assume you conceived this design prior to the release of the Sidious saber? Either way, it's got that Sidious/Dark Woman/unorthodox look that adds to its originality.

29. Planettera

Planettera Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thank you friend. Actually this I designed prior to ROTS movie, where I had no idea how the Darth Sidious saber was going to look like and still don't know what the Dark Women saber look like or who she is. However, the emitter design was inspired by the Dooku saber a bit. Rest of the saber was totally created out of my imagination. :)

30. Umori Bawar

Umori Bawar New Member

this was the sketch/model for my light saber design,
    [​IMG]

i was gonna build 2 cuz i prefur dual lightsabers, but then i got to learing the art of fighting witha bo staff, and decided a double bladed light saber would be cool, but i still like 2 sabers so i decided to just have my 2 light sabers connect end to end. and disconect, but wasent sure how i was gonna like the changes to the back handel, but i made changes and built a proto type and this is what i came out with (cheaply built not gonna wasit good money on a prototype)
    [​IMG]

having decided i liked the feel i started to design how i wanted the back to connect and disconect fastly, but i changed my design a bit more to this
    [​IMG]

im still not happy with the emmitor, so im redesigning that, plus there are addtions to it that are not in a pic such as a some knobs and hand guard (it starts at the front top and crurves/wraps down and to the back.) the final version will be all metal excpet for the black grip which i will mold in black rubber.

31. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Cool Stuff..

Here's a render I did in Illustrator of the one I'm making. I don't have the fins on it yet, and it looks kind of plain here.

[​IMG]

FB

32. Force Commander

Force Commander Well-Known Member

Here's some of my OLD stuff. Probably all of it posted here in the past.
    [attachmentid=5989]
    [attachmentid=5988]
    [attachmentid=5987]
    [attachmentid=5990]

33. jordankarr

jordankarr Well-Known Member

Here are a few of my custom saber designs..

all of them have been created in photoshop.

Saber 1 is Based off of Kyle Katarns Jedi Knight Saber (not the Fugly JK2 saber)

Saber 2 is a saber I want created some day it takes elements from both Obi/Luke Jedi saber and Anaikan/Vader and combines them into one saber.

Sabers 3 and 4 are my interpertaions of Ulic Qel-Droma's sabers. I spent some time studying his sabers and loonking at the hilt lengths, and his fighting stances in the comic books and figured they where longer more akin to Katana Hilts then Shorter saber hilts. The orginal drawings have them at about 16" in length each.

these are my personal faves. that I want created some time for myself.

34. Zenkai

Zenkai Well-Known Member

An amalgam of Ob1 and Anakin ROTS sabers:

[​IMG]

35. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Finally some progress on my custom saber.

Here is what I have so far.

[​IMG]

FB

36. protokev DMD

protokev DMD Sr Member

heres some drawings of some of my designs
    (click for bigger view)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

For the liquid vial, have you looked at the quick load tubes that they use in Paintball?

38. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

No, what is that?

This version won't have the vial, but It's modular so I can interchange parts.

Do you have a link or a photo?

thanks

FB

39. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Anyone have anything new to add to this thread?

FB

40. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

I'm normally not a SW fan, but my best friend is on a SW trip, so I got infected with the lightsaber-fever some months. This is the only thing I allow in my big ST collection.

Well, he got my so infected that I actually dreamed about my lightsaber - so I quickly drew it on paper and then in PSP X.

Frank, maybe you can help me to complete the picture, since it's still uncomplete. What I need is a covertech belt clip attachement and an activation knob, button, etc. and a power plug hole or similiar like that below the emitter.

[​IMG]

41. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

*bump*
    Any suggestions Frank?

42. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Of you will let me be frank for a while ( :p ) I think that saber design is too complex. There are too many details. I can not understand just by looking at it which end is the emitter end and which end is the pommel. In my opinion, most rings should either be the emitter or the handgrip, with the emitter having most of the brass parts, if any. A covertec clip fits best on a thicker section a little bit from the pommel.

43. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I think it looks good the way it is. It's rather long though. Which end is the emmiter?

Looks cool. Now do some more. :D

FB

44. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Just right of the LEDs is the shiny chrome emitter... seen from right and top view...
    well, I don't have an idea for the activation trigger, knob, whatever...
    what could be used for it?

yeah, I estimated it about 47-50 cm...

@Lars:
    it's my first saber and I actually dreamt about it (all my best friend's fault. curse him... :D), it got a white blade, for whatever reason...

45. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

The 2 red buttons above the LED's can be the activation button.

FB

46. Corbin_Das

Corbin_Das New Member

Here's one that has been a long time in the works:

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like so far:

[​IMG]

Another model I made for a friend doing a live stage combat production. I actually made several Luxeon LED sabers for him:

[​IMG]

Here's how it turned out:

[​IMG]

I have a few other designs that haven't been made yet. I'll see if I can find pics and post later.

Corbin Das

Corbin@CorbinsComponents.com

47. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Here's a saber I've been tweaking for ages. I wanted a familiar design that was relatively clean and clearly custom. I can't wait to have it machined someday. The section with the box is 1.5, making the length just under 11 inches. Thanks a million WackyChimp for the pic space.

[​IMG]

48. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Here's what I have so far. Not much has changed.

The fins in tha back are next, then I'll fine tune the emmiter neck area.

The bottom image was an initial idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FB

49. donsolo

donsolo Well-Known Member

Here's the render I did of my current work in progress:
    [​IMG]
    (details) I still don't know what I want to do for the grips...

50. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's a couple I did years ago, crappy pictures though. Soon ill post pics of ne ive been working on recently with asian influence, a katana like grip. The ones below were made with vacuum tube attachments, metal bits, caps, plugs, sink tubes, standard stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]