Saber Help!

Ewingkevin1983

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to prop collecting, and I want my first purchase to be a lightsaber. I'm still on the fence if I'm going with canon or non-canon. If I choose canon, I really want an accurate Obi Wan. Where should I start as far as makers that won't destroy my bank account and piss off my husband?! 100-200 I wound drop in a heart beat for the right saber. Any help?

If you don't mind a highly accurate 3D printed prop, you won't find better than this. I've seen his work in person, and it looks like a legitimate metal hilt. The weathering is amazing. It makes an amazing display piece.
Screenshot_20200615-182113_eBay.jpg
View attachment 1310172

No question, Romans hilts are the best in the world. I love mine! Unfortunately, there's the issue of cost. She's looking for something less than $200.
20200615_190102.jpg

IF cost is an issue, then yeah-- there's some great 3 D printed models on etsy (most made from the same files).

That said, if time isn't an issue, you can always do Roman's piece by piece as you can afford individual pieces.

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to prop collecting, and I want my first purchase to be a lightsaber. I'm still on the fence if I'm going with canon or non-canon. If I choose canon, I really want an accurate Obi Wan. Where should I start as far as makers that won't destroy my bank account and piss off my husband?! 100-200 I wound drop in a heart beat for the right saber. Any help?
Welcome, for the most accurate OWK Romans is your best bet.

I would say the difference in cost would be well worth it to wait and save up that little bit of extra to get a Romans. Nothing against 3D printing at all and that guy's work is amazing but when you pick it up and it feels like very light plastic or solid metal, there's a HUGE difference there.

That's why I went with Roman's. I wanted something that felt like I was actually holding Obi Wan's lightsaber. You just need to decide what your priorities are. Are you looking for an accurate look and weight, or do you want something for a low price that just looks nice on your shelf?

So - I have an answer because I also prefer metal and heft for static props.

First off, welcome! We don't have as many Obi Wan ANH saber makers as we used to, because we've basically nailed all the parts and now its down to cost and efficiency - Roman's has that and almost 100% accuracy to boot.

So for a couple hundred bucks I have a few suggestions:

Look for older, slightly less accurate parts and hilts. Seriously, unless you've been staring at these things for years, chances are you'll love the look regardless. 85% accuracy is still fantastic, and miles ahead of anything made in the 90s, no offense 90s makers. My favorite older static ones are Parks hilts * and ... I think Russ Rep made parts back in the day, Serafino, etc.. You'll find their parts floating around in sales threads and auction sites, You might even find a whole hilt for that price. I found a Parks Vader hilt for $109 a few years ago. The hunt is worth it - it's a lot of fun.

*Parks has a shady past and while he made some good products, I'm pretty sure he's banned here for good reason and it's best to quietly get something secondhand from another collector.*

Other suggestion, buy up Roman's new parts one at a time. Save up for each 40 or 60 or 100 dollar part. It will be a journey building it, and you'll discover more about it in the process.

I started out building an Obi Wan saber with 1 real part, 2 resin cast parts, a metal replica emitter and some hardware. (Thanks Anakin Starkiller ) and since then I've swapped out better parts and changes as time went on.

As for buying a whole hilt right off the bat at under 200, you're looking at an older replica hilt or a brand new knockoff - some of those custom saber places build shiny hilts that sort-of look like the prop.. or at least they're passable

My Obi Wan sabers, being broke at the time.... 2009..to today
1stObi.jpg2ndObi.jpg6thObi1.jpg4thObi1.jpg4thObi.jpg5thObi.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back