S&W M76 Machine Gun Scratchbuild - **Finished Pics!**

BornKilr

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After viewing Mr. Webber's thread (http://www.therpf.com/f9/omega-man-neville-s-smg-hunting-belt-smg-finished-127989/), I was reminded how much I liked this gun and how little it shows up in movies. Omega Man, Dog Day Afternoon and Dark Knight are the few that come to mind, although imfdb.org shows others.
So I decided to try my hand at scratch building one and here are the (nearly) finished results.
attachment.php

attachment.php

These were the only in progress pics I have.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I still have some detailing left to add. Also the trigger and guard as well as the folding stock. Then another coating of metallic, weathering and all done.
Hope to be finished in a week or so.

Last edited:
Re: S&W M76 Machine Gun - scratchbuild

I have handled and fired several S&W 76s over the years. Yours is looking dead on.
A very interesting basic sub gun that never had a huge following.

Wow, that is outstanding, much sharper than mine. Its a great example of talent backing ambition. Im spewin you werent around six months ago:lol

Not that theres anything wrong with it, but when you see film and tv productions using modified nerf guns, you appreciate the classics more. When i look at mine i think more of G.I`s, cigar in mouth storming a French beachhead.

Great job! I tried making one from a springer grease gun that turned out ok. But this is really nice work.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Still working on the stock and detailing and hope to finish it this weekend. One thing about the early US SMG's, they didn't make em pretty, so they're easier to build. This and the M3 "grease gun" were very similar looks. I built one of those a few years ago with the same method.
I'm also finishing up a Maxim 08/15 German machine gun and will have a thread up on it this weekend too. Just gotta figure out how to make the bi-pod.

Got the collapsible stock finished over the weekend. Since I have very little metal working tools or ability, I wasn't able to make it bend sideways like it should. I think I need a bigger spring too because its a bit wobbly right now.
Just need to add a few more details, Attachments for strap, paint screw heads and top coat of metallizer and it's done.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow. Great work! I've also thought this was a pretty cool gun, since seeing Omega Man as a kid. I just love seeing these kinds of builds too.

I recently received a commission order for 2 of these guns.
I'm going to be posting WIP build pics as I progress. The first steps after scroll sawing the main parts is sanding and filing to refine the shape. The following pics show the receivers with clips and the shroud (with drill pattern, ready to drill press holes tomorrow at work.) The receivers and grips are sintra, the shrouds are 1" PVC.
attachment.php

attachment.php

There was a film I saw as a kid with a group of commando's with accents and they used these.

I don't know what the movie was, but I would like to see it again.

Looks great.

Here are a few more update pics:
First is the barrel/shroud assemblies ready for final sanding/clean up and gluing.
attachment.php

Next 2 are the bolt handle roughs and sides of magazine mitered.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last is the receiver with bolt slide and eject port pilot holes drilled.
attachment.php

Firefly? From the TV show? I don't remember any carrying this weapon, unless Jayne had it in his extensive arsenal.

Weekend update:
Handle and grips filed flush.
attachment.php

Edges of grips rounded.
attachment.php

Barrel/shroud assemblies glued and 1st paint coat.
attachment.php

Pins inserted in receiver to connect upper. Also, bolt groove and eject port refined.
attachment.php

Receivers together for test fit.
attachment.php

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back