Rust-Oleum Clear Coat troubles?

jman116

So the clear coat which I applied over top of a hefty few layers of spray paint, all rust-oleum, completely ruined it. It formed weird waves with the paint and all. As such, I need a new protective coat, what do you recommend(Not expensive and easy to obtain). Would Spray Lacquer be good?

So the clear coat which I applied over top of a hefty few layers of spray paint, all rust-oleum, completely ruined it. It formed weird waves with the paint and all. As such, I need a new protective coat, what do you recommend(Not expensive and easy to obtain). Would Spray Lacquer be good?

Was the clear coat also Rustoleum?

What color was the Rustoleum paint?

"a few HEFTY coats?" sounds like you rushed the paint job. if you used the "can repaint after an hour" and "for an extra glossy finish, use clear coat" recommendation on the can, then your paint isn't fully dried/cured and it will happen even with the same brand of clear.. you need to be able to touch/handle your painted project and not leave finger prints, smudges etc. then go slow, applying thin layers, let them dry, apply more etc. I wait itleast a couple hours between paint layers. and the same for clear coat. :thumbsup my red planet helmet sculpt paint was almost 3 days and I still had one very small patch that wrinkled. good luck, and show pictures!!

I'd post pictures but the site doesn't work as well on mobile!
But yeah I sanded it back down ( it fell off like goop) and I painted VERY thin and I've been letting it dry for a day or two now.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back