Limited Run Running Engine Lights for deAgostini Falcon

Gus76

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE 2/20/2017: There is a concern about a light gap in between the two housings for the engine LEDs, so I have updated the "Running Engine" LED strips I am offering with 1 more LED making it 12 total per strip. You can see the strip is overlapping with the edges of the housings. you can either file down the edges, or if you don't want to make any changes into the original structure of the falcon, you can cut off with scissors one LED
from each strip.

LED_strip_zpsmglobteh.jpg

light_strip_12_leds_zps9jwccxk6.gif

light_test_12_leds_zpslw8yv7vf.gif

This project run is for "running engine" lights for deAgostini Millennium Falcon. Each set consists of 11 Neopixel RGB super bright LEDs attached to Trinket Pro - Arduino compatible controller board. The controller gradually independently changes brightness of each LED creating a look of "in-flight" mode.

Once the power is supplied to the board, the controller goes through a "start-up" sequence turning on the LEDs one by one and then switches to "in-flight" mode that runs indefinitely, until the power is turned off.

No modification of any existing wiring or parts is required. The LED strips connect the same way the stock LED strips are connected to the circuit board of the ship.
If you are planning to use this for any other model, any power source from 6v to 12v will work. The controller also has protection from reversed polarity.

Please note, you need 2 sets for deAgostini Falcon and Hasbro Falcon. You might be able to use just one set for 1/72 and 1/44 versions of the ship. The LED strip can be cut to length if needed.

This is how the set looks like:

LED%20strip%2002_zps5q08ferh.jpg

The lit LED strip attached to the housing:

engine-lights-04_zpskciojnpd.gif

Startup sequence (looks better in person):

engine-lights-03_zps7bg5odce.gif

Example of the lights set in Hasbro Hero conversion:

Falcon_zpsbq1sy9jy.gif

The price for one set (one assembled strip with controller, JST-XH connector and wiring) is $35 USD plus shipping. You will need 2 sets for deAgostini Falcon.

The shipping is plat rate $15 USD for USA and Canada and $20 USD for overseas shipping by airmail.

If you would like to make an order please send a full payment to volteco@gmail.com. Please specify in the notes your forum name, how many sets do you need and your address if different from your PayPal address on file. Please allow 2 weeks from the order date for the items to be assembled, tested and shipped.Thank you for checking out my listing.

There was a concern about Neopixel LEDs drawing too much current so that it can possibly damage the circuit board that is supplied by deAgostini. In short, I don't see any reasons for concerns. While Neopixels do require a lot of current, please note, only 1/3 of LEDs are ON because only blue color is emitted. On top of that there is no current spike because the brightness is turned on gradually and Neopixel LEDs are never all at maximum brightness. I did a quick current measuring test on the stock LED strip and Neopixels LED strip.

current%20comparison_zpsipdqkygk.jpg

As you can see while The Neopixels indeed take more current then the stock LEDs, it is still within acceptable value for the transistor that opens the current (500mA).

transistor_zpszxc5jynb.jpg

Attachments

• LED_strip_zpsmglobteh.jpg
    LED_strip_zpsmglobteh.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 136
  • LED%20strip%2002_zps5q08ferh.jpg
    LED%20strip%2002_zps5q08ferh.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 146
  • engine-lights-04_zpskciojnpd.gif
    engine-lights-04_zpskciojnpd.gif
    956.4 KB · Views: 156
  • current%20comparison_zpsipdqkygk.jpg
    current%20comparison_zpsipdqkygk.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 159
  • transistor_zpszxc5jynb.jpg
    transistor_zpszxc5jynb.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Stop making so many cool things when I'm broke. :D

How many sets would be needed for a Hasbro? 2?
Yes, you would need two of them. Forgot to mention they can be cut to length. For Hasbro you might need to cut one LED from each strip.

Question, for 2 strips (for the deAgostini Falcon) plus shipping to Hong Kong will come to US$90.00, right?

Also, is there any other cost when paying through PayPal? I recall needing to add 4-5% a while before... or something like that?

That is correct... You don't pay any extra as a buyer. PayPal deducts those 4% from the whole amount I receive. So I get 4% less - roughly $86 USD.

Question, for 2 strips (for the deAgostini Falcon) plus shipping to Hong Kong will come to US$90.00, right?

Also, is there any other cost when paying through PayPal? I recall needing to add 4-5% a while before... or something like that?

Is it possible to get one continuous strip for Deago that eliminates the gap in the middle?
There should be no gap. It all depends how you will glue in the strips. I guess this is not a very good example video. I will upload a better one.

One continuous strip would require a modification of the housings and also there is not enough memory in the controllers to operate twice as more LEDs.

There is a gap and it is a know problem with the Deago kit. Once finished, there is a dim spot in the middle of the engine where the two housings meet. Some people have modified their housings to run a continuous strip across both housings. Others have reversed the existing led strips so that the wiring enters the housings from the opposite ends so that the led strips can meet in the center and eliminate the gap. I suppose the same can be done with these, though a single strip would be a more elegant solution. But I understand if there is a memory limitation in the controller.

There is a gap and it is a know problem with the Deago kit. Once finished, there is a dim spot in the middle of the engine where the two housings meet. Some people have modified their housings to run a continuous strip across both housings. Others have reversed the existing led strips so that the wiring enters the housings from the opposite ends so that the led strips can meet in the center and eliminate the gap. I suppose the same can be done with these, though a single strip would be a more elegant solution. But I understand if there is a memory limitation in the controller.
Thank you for the heads up! I will then be using 12 LEDs in each strip. If the space in the middle of sanded off they will all fit great. I will update the thread as soon as I have the videos.

Having one or two extra LEDs should fix it. If people don't want to sand down the middle of their housings they can just shorten the strips. I like your attitude and this is the best engine lighting effect I have seen yet for the Falcon. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested in this.

Having one or two extra LEDs should fix it. If people don't want to sand down the middle of their housings they can just shorten the strips. I like your attitude and this is the best engine lighting effect I have seen yet for the Falcon. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested in this.
Awesome, thank you! Please stay tuned for an update!

I just want to clarify, are these actually blue color LEDs or are they just white that are coming off as blue in that video above?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back