Rubies Vader Supreme Helmet Mouth Mesh

Originally posted by darthraider@Dec 22 2005, 07:29 AM
I'm looking for a ready made close-knit wire mesh...any idea where to get??
[snapback]1141357[/snapback]​

...if you're looking for the screen that goes under the diamond mesh, use either alu or plastic window screen. If you're looking for the diamond mesh, LMK...I have some pieces left....

I found some expanded aluminium mesh in my local auto parts store.It's used for panel repair work to give the fibreglass filler something to adhere to on big holes but it looks about the right size for a vader screen.

I'm going off the shot of the pulled apart helmet in the Star wars archives book-other helmets look like they have different styles of mesh-that one also has that type of mesh behind the eyelenses too.

Originally posted by KevVader+Dec 23 2005, 05:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Dec 23 2005, 05:23 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-darthraider
@Dec 22 2005, 07:29 AM

...if you're looking for the screen that goes under the diamond mesh, use either alu or plastic window screen. If you're looking for the diamond mesh, LMK...I have some pieces left....
[snapback]1141750[/snapback]​
[/b]

Do you have some pictures of the mesh you have??

Thanks.

Originally posted by darthraider+Dec 23 2005, 02:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthraider @ Dec 23 2005, 02:03 AM)</div>
Originally posted by KevVader@Dec 23 2005, 05:23 AM

Thanks.
[snapback]1142116[/snapback]​
[/b]

PM Sent

The best "mesh" I have found to go underthe diamond shapped wire mesh is Drywall Sanding sheets. Fount at any local harware store. pretty inexpensinve. The silver mesh in the pic below was bouth as Micheal's Craft shop. They also sell black. Michael's had alot of different mesh tighter and also wider then this.

pic8gx.jpg

Before anyone makes a comment about it, YES I AM aware the diamond mesh is put in theis helmet wrong.

A friend of mine and I used some sun shade screening that is used for your home windows, it's black, it's screen, and it masks your face out. Not bad stuff.

Jack Bauer's idea to use dry wall sanding mesh is a great idea. I saw this on a previous post so I ran down to Home Depot to get some for my rubies. If you look around you can find it with a thicker mesh attached to a wood block. Simply cut and shape with tin snips and you have an excellent grill. B)

Kell

Originally posted by kell@Dec 24 2005, 02:12 PM
Jack Bauer's idea to use dry wall sanding mesh is a great idea. I saw this on a previous post so I ran down to Home Depot to get some for my rubies. If you look around you can find it with a thicker mesh attached to a wood block. Simply cut and shape with tin snips and you have an excellent grill.  B)

Kell
[snapback]1142829[/snapback]​

I wonder how many layers of mesh were applied for actual Vader in movie (either ESB, ROTJ, ROTS)...

I'll try to use sun shade found in my car at this moment and see how it looks like...

Originally posted by darthraider@Dec 24 2005, 05:46 AM
I wonder how many layers of mesh were applied for actual Vader in movie (either ESB, ROTJ, ROTS)...
[snapback]1142875[/snapback]​

I dont know how many were used for the movies but when I did my Rubies helmet I put two in mine. When I bought my fiberglass lid there was only one layer and I added a second.

Originally posted by darthraider+Dec 24 2005, 09:46 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthraider @ Dec 24 2005, 09:46 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-kell
@Dec 24 2005, 02:12 PM
Jack Bauer's idea to use dry wall sanding mesh is a great idea. I saw this on a previous post so I ran down to Home Depot to get some for my rubies. If you look around you can find it with a thicker mesh attached to a wood block. Simply cut and shape with tin snips and you have an excellent grill.  B)

Kell

I'll try to use sun shade found in my car at this moment and see how it looks like...
[/b]
I know that Dave Prowse could apprently see out of it, during one interview he stated that he had to look down through the chin grill to see his cue on the floor

I have a thicker type of mesh in my mask, and I used a thinner type when i went out last Halloween. Youcan definately see better out of the chin and mouth area with the thinner stuff. If youned some let me know, I have some thin stuff left.

Originally posted by Darth Detroit@Dec 28 2005, 08:00 PM
I have a thicker type of mesh in my mask, and I used a thinner type when i went out last Halloween. Youcan definately see better out of the chin and mouth area with the thinner stuff. If youned some let me know, I have some thin stuff left.
[snapback]1144950[/snapback]​

How is it look like?

I just have the one screen of drywall sander and I can still see out of it. helps when there are alot of children around. It also helps the air come into my fan. The more mesh the less air flow. I'v been told that noone can even see in through the drywall mesh because once your head is in there it is pretty dark inside.

I have the opposite need. I have more than enough of the close mesh, I need some decent looking diamond mesh. Can anyone PM me if they have extra?
Thanks.
Joe

The best "mesh" I have found to go underthe diamond shapped wire mesh is Drywall Sanding sheets. Fount at any local harware store. pretty inexpensinve. The silver mesh in the pic below was bouth as Micheal's Craft shop. They also sell black. Michael's had alot of different mesh tighter and also wider then this.

I tried this , great idea Jack.

Originally posted by Darth Domain+Dec 28 2005, 05:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Domain @ Dec 28 2005, 05:01 AM)</div>
Originally posted by darthraider@Dec 24 2005, 09:46 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-kell
@Dec 24 2005, 02:12 PM

Kell

I know that Dave Prowse could apprently see out of it, during one interview he stated that he had to look down through the chin grill to see his cue on the floor
[snapback]1144927[/snapback]​
[/b]

i know i remember seeing a scene where you could actually see his chin moving behind the grill while he was giving lines to the other actors...its only a split second and i cant for the life of me remember where...i think it may have been in ANH

another good idea i used in my stormtrooper grill was some drywall seam tape...i spraypainted it black and overlaped two pieces in different directions..gave me a cool variable pattern look due to the variations in thickness of the hatch and it did well to cover the face...i plan to use the same in my vader

Originally posted by darthraider+Dec 23 2005, 01:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthraider @ Dec 23 2005, 01:03 AM)</div>
Originally posted by KevVader@Dec 23 2005, 05:23 AM

Thanks.
[snapback]1142116[/snapback]​
[/b]

.....took me long enough to post pix .:unsure ....here ya go....

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back