Rubies Vader Modification

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by leviticus, Aug 28, 2015.

1. leviticus

leviticus Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello,
    I am a long time Star Wars fan, but I am new to the hobby.
    I always wanted a Darth Vader helmet, but I couldn't afford a decent one.
    I decided to modify a Rubies helmet since I already had plenty of the tools to modify one.
    I am getting close to the finish, but I need to redo the dome.

Attached Files:

chefhawk and mugatu like this.
  2. leviticus

DSC_0014.JPG 1437371947857.jpg DSC_0016.JPG 1437429343134.jpg 1437371792387.jpg DSC_0012.JPG 1437371792029.jpg Some photos from the mod process.

omel and mugatu like this.
  3. leviticus

The plastic that the helmet is made of is not always the easiest material to work with.
    I also could have saved myself some time and effort if I would have used higher grit sandpaper.
    View attachment 520955

4. leviticus

I worked on the modifications for about a month and I am still working on getting the correct lens type and new tusks.
    My main reference for my mod was Quasimodo by CSMacLaren, the Quasimodo helmet is to me the best ANH helmet out there.

- - - Updated - - -

more 1437429343134.jpg 1438176557761.jpg DSC_0005.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    mugatu and CSMacLaren like this.
  5. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

My main references for Quasimodo were screen captures of the screen-used, which is the best ANH helmet out there. :thumbsup

leviticus likes this.
  6. leviticus

true nothing can beat the original, but your helmets definitely come close.

CSMacLaren and mugatu like this.
  7. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love seeing Vader helmets get refined. So much patience and determination involved. I'll be following this build.

8. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Great work in progress ... alas those attachments in post #3 and #4 are not working for me ... please try again :)

Chaim

9. Celtic007

Celtic007 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice job. Progress is looking good. The dome is tricky to get right when re doing it but yours looks good.

10. leviticus

I ordered some lenses and tusks from Fenixprops in July and still have not received them. I also email them and get no responses, I thought that they were supposed to be legitimate.
    Has anyone dealt with them?

11. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Their lack of communication, after you put in your order, is well known but they always deliver as far as I've read ... please check the SLD forums for their feedback ... also if you're not a member there yet ... post an introduction post #1 and the Junkyard will be revealed with vendors and stuff and feedback :)

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?act=idx

Chaim

leviticus likes this.
  12. leviticus

I will check SLD, thanks for the help.

13. leviticus

Ok, so it seems like they just take a long time and don't communicate, but everybody seems to get there items.
    Thanks again for the information.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  14. mmhnc

mmhnc Well-Known Member

What glue are you using to bond to the PVC, I'm modifying a Rubies X-Wing helmet in another thread and I'm looking for tips from people who have already successfully modified stuff from these guys.

15. leviticus

I used a UHU allplast plastic glue.

16. sztriki

sztriki Sr Member

It's an absolute bastard to work with, I remember. Doesn't file properly, doesn't sand neatly, can't glue it for the love of God, too hard to cut, too flaky to carve. That's why I decided to leave the dome as it is after doing the facemask but I made ROTJ so the stock dome was much closer to that than ANH. Keep up the good work, it's coming along really nice!

I ordered lenses and tusks from them too, delivered promptly, but the lenses I think are made for Don Post, so it doesn't fit out of the box. Mine was painted and lacquered by the time the lenses arrived so had to try my best to modifiy the insides of the eye-sockets to accommodate the new lense curvature without having to repaint it.

17. leviticus

I hope the lenses fit, them being in the mail so long has really ground this project to a halt for me. Thanks for the heads up about the fit.

18. leviticus

nevermind

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018