Rubies Surpreme Vader Costume

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darth Chetta, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Darth Chetta

Darth Chetta Active Member

Hello all, I just recieved my Rubies Supreme Edition, and while i KNOW it is by no means up to the level of the ones made on this board, it is, for its money a very nice costume. I am a die hard nit picket, and evenw ith a few minor things i was impressed.
    This is the version 2 costume withthe less shiny body suit and some mods done to the cape attachment. Here it is right out of the box. Mods coming soon.
    Enjoy.
    Josh

2. Darth Chetta

Here is another photo, i can only upload one at a time.

3. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I'm still amazed at how one can now get a complete Vader package like this for less than the cost of a fan-made Vader helmet...amazing. Great to see another turn to the Dark Side
    B)

:cheers,

Thomas

4. Aeon

Aeon Well-Known Member

COOL. Great to hear people are finally getting these sets in. I saw them here in NYC going for $1299.99. It's just sick how much these are going for, but as SithLord puts it, it definitely costs less than a fan made helmet. Of course the detail and quality is nowhere near the fan made ones.

I got mine for $675 shipped. I am not a stickler for details, but it's worth every cent I paid for mine. The costume package is just incredible for the kind of crap Rubies usually puts out. The materials and overall quality turned out to be better than I thought.

5. Darth Chetta

I am in the process of removing the neck flare from the helmet the helmet almost HAS to go UNDER the chest armor because of the weight of the cape. The cape is soo heavy that it pulls the armor uo and almost chokes you, putting the helmet under the armor is more ROTS accurate but also saves you from choking lol. i am not able to upload any more pics can any one help? i have bout 8 more.

6. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I won one on Ebay last Friday for $499, with shipping and insurance totaling it out at $529, and it'll be arriving Wednesday. I'm working on a Rubies mask I bought in the Junkyard and doing lots of mods to it. It seems like it's the one thing that needs work to make the costume look much better. I'll probably just sell the one that comes with the suit since I won't need it.

7. Betamin

That's not good to hear about the armor riding up against your throat. Also, how tall are you, if I may ask? I see that the cape looks pretty long and touches the floor. I may do a bit of a hem on mine if it's too long. I'm just over 6", and I don't want it to drag the floor or to step on it if it's too long.

8. Darth Chetta

I am 6 foot 1. the cape is SUPER long. But when you walk, it catches the air sooo nice and flares out. i will hem itup a tad so it doesnt continue to drag on the floor. It is heavy, not super thick but as you can see it looks nice.

9. Betamin

*, it IS long. I can see I will have to hem it up a bit...

So, the adjustable strap on the back of the shoulder armor doesn't help much to keep the armor from pulling back with the weight of the cape? I'm going to be wearing my costume at a band gig and will have it on for about 4 hours (without the helmet, though. Hard to sing through a Vader mask. :lol ) so I hope it's not going to rub my neck the whole night....

10. Darth Chetta

The strap on the back doesnt do much. the shoulder amour sits on the shoulders and the cape keeps it in place enough. i am pretty broad shouldered and barrel chested so it sits on me just fine without the strap. I would imagine that on a smaller framed person the strap would help keep it tight.

11. blufive

blufive Sr Member

That's an awesome deal. Dealer cost is actually more than that.

:confused

I just don't see how people can sell stuff for so little...

12. Betamin

Darth Chetta, definitely post more pics if you can. I'm anxious to get my suit.....but it won't be here until tomorrow. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas... :D

13. Betamin

Yeah, I was surprised at how low it went for, and it was in stock too. I bid just before hitting the sack and was the only bid. I got up the next day, checked it at work and had 26 minutes left with no other bids. I figured I'd lose it in the last few minutes to a bunch of bidders, but was amazed to get it at the starting bid.

14. Betamin

Darth Chetta, did you say the cape attachments were changed? By Rubies, or did you change them? I heard they were kind of a flimsy clip or something...

15. Darth Chetta

This is a mod by rubies apparently. the V.1 costume had little, bra hooks. its the best way to describe them. Look at WackyChimps review and youll see what i mean. The V.2 costume has actual clips that clip to the chest armor. that way it doesnt come off. it hols the cape on weel but they look kinda odd im trying to figure out how to hide them better. I have mroe pics but cant upload anymore anyone want to host them for me? thanks.

16. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No dude. Wireless lavalier behind the face mask.

It would rock. :thumbsup

:lol

- Karl

17. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Wow. Looks great. Is there a way to know if you will be getting a version one or two? I like the look of the body suit much more in this new version. Do most of the auctions list that info? Any Rubies dealer want to chime in?

18. Betamin

I'll be receiving mine today, hopefully over lunch if UPS has arrived by then, and will check to see what mine has on it and post it in here.

19. Betamin

Not a bad idea, phase. I wonder how loud my voice would be singing inside that plastic mask though.....I'd probably go deaf from my voice echoing inside of it while singing songs we do like "Do it again" by the Kinks, or "Hash Pipe" by Wheezer. :lol

20. Darth Chetta

Well if my info is correct, Rubies switched manufacturers so all orders coming out now at the V.2 costume. You can tell by the box.. the old box was just a rectangle the new one is a "display box" witht he helmet exposed on one side.

21. Betamin

I called my apartment office today, and my Rubies Vader costume arrived, so I'll see what it has tonight after work.

22. Betamin

Darth Chetta, mine has the small silver clasps too, like yours has. I wonder if a little black paint on them, after roughing up the shiny chrome finish with sandpaper, might hide them a bit. They must have had complaints of broken attachment clips from the first version... I can see why. I picked up the folded cape out of the box, and it's heavy.

23. Darth Chetta

I am trying to upload pics on WC's server but my pics are too large i took them with a 5.2 mega pixel digital so im having an issue reducing the size. Still working on it all. Beta lets see the costume....

24. Darth Chetta

OK, i think i got the pics good to go so here it goes, enjoy.
    THANKS WC.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

Where is everyone buying their helmets I really want to do a fixer upper to one of these for fun somtime.

26. Darth Chetta

If you buy the Supreme edition costume it comes with it. BUT you can buy the Supreme edition helmet seperatly. Ebay is the place to go. Or you can get it off of a costume site.

27. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

Yeah but which site, do you have any links, if possible can you link to one if its not against the rules. or pm it to me.
    -thanks

28. Darth Chetta

All you really need to do is type in Darth Vader Supreme Helmet in google. I bought all mine from Ebay.

29. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, wear earplugs or Etymotic in-the-ear phones... :lol

- k

30. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

hey did that body suit and the glove come with the rubies supreme ?
    they look different than the ones i saw in june..
    they looks less shinny and plasticy

any more close up shots of the glove and suit ?

31. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Try www.toynk.com for the helmet. Costume looks very nice for the money. One question - does the costume come in different sizes? I'm 6'4" and a bit worried I might be too tall for it.

32. Darth Chetta

yes i am 6 foot 1 and about 270 and it have PLENTY of room both length and width wise. I purchased the XL costume.

33. the iron 1

the iron 1 New Member

How big do they sell them in?

34. Obi Sean Kenobi

Obi Sean Kenobi Well-Known Member

If any of you guys have one of these, and can oblige, I'd love to see what the suit looks like with the inner robe OVER the shoulder armor - ANH style.
    Sean

35. Darth Chetta

Hey all i took pics of the individual parts of the suit INCLUDING a shot of the supplied rubies gloves and the ones i am wearing inthe pics. OBI i will take apic of the robe OVER the armour but ill do it without the jumpsuit, just too hard to do alone.

36. Betamin

I noticed my shoulder armor has different hinges than what Wackychimp showed on his suit on his review link. They now have the hinge sticking upward and a larger space between the armor and the shoulder armor. I know the cape will be over it, but it wants to swing down and under the armor now..... might have to find a way to modify the hinge if I can...

37. Darth Chetta

Here ya go Obi Sean Kenobi. Inner Robe OVER amour. Not bad but not exactly the look from ANH.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Supreme Edition Vader helmet that came WITH the costume. All ihave done is correct the neck flare. And oddly enough while the helm was “cooking” the weird warped lenses seem to have evened out a little they are now easier to see through.
    [​IMG]

Here is the new V.2 cape clips. As you can see not ideal, but you don’t have to worry bout the cape coming loose anytime soon. It is sure an improvement over the V.1 “bra hooks”
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a close-up of the chest box and the suit. Even though it is 100% vinyl, it still passes by as a decent leather grain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison shot between the stock rubies gloves (top) and my custom leather gloves (bottom)
    [​IMG]

Here are the shin guards. The boots are mine I just add the guards to them the effect is really nice.
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the edge of the belt. As you can see not too thick. But it gets the job done.
    [​IMG]

Shot of the back of the belt buckle. Held on by 4 screws. Plus a strip of Velcro at the bottom to fasten to the top of the cod piece.
    [​IMG]

Some more pics of the whole enchiladaÂ…
    Not to be braggy, but the light saber looks so * cool..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any more requests? Let me know.
    And of course THANKS WC..... you rock.

38. Betamin

Great pics, Darth. :thumbsup And your lenses on your mask do look like they've got a different shape than what the original shape had. Man, those things were hard to see through. If you do mods to the mask and put in a new set of lenses, you'll see a huge difference. Here's the link to the mods I've done to my Rubies mask so far...

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=95772

I've tried on the body suit (standard size, I'm just over 6', about 190 with stick legs. :lol ) and it didn't fit too badly, though I noticed movement of the arms upward made the suit want to pull up. I found the shin armor material in the back stuck out on the sides when I tried it on over just my jeans while wearing tennis shoes. Darth, it looks like yours does well with the full boots to have to zip them around, so I may search for some inexpensive boots to use.

How did you get the chest piece strapped by yourself? Just messing with mine a bit at home tonight drove me nuts. At least I have time to mess with it before Halloween, so I can get it set and ready to wear. I think I may just wear a long sleeve black t-shirt and black jeans or black thin sweat pants instead of the vinyl suit so I don't die standing in a warm bar with stage lights during our band gig. Aaaaiiieee. It's a lava planet.. :lol

39. Darth Chetta

The back of the shin guards do tend to stick out a little bit on mine too.but seeing as i have had mine only a week now and only had it on 2 times. I have noticed that the morei wear it and walk in it the less it sticks out.
    I bought my boots for 30 bucks. if i can remember what website i got them off of i will PM you the link.

As for that blasted chest box. the first time i put the costume on it too me 45 minutes to get the box on. What i do isput the jumpsuit on up to my waist. feed the straps for the box into the suit and get the waist straps set. Then i do each soulderit just takes some paitence. The directions for putting everything on really need to state that for a FASTER dressing time 2 people are needed. For me once i had the right tension to the chest box straps it was easy. Ziping up the shin guards now has become the problem.

When you do wear the suit get ready to sweat a TON. As you know it has a quilted type lining in it. it took a full day for mine to dry out after the initial wear. (granted ihad it on for a total of 2 hours as i tried to get everything on and adjusted for the first time.

Also another suggestion...once you get to th step for the chest armour, helm and cape. i have found that this order works the best and looks the best.
    1) chest armour
    2) helmet,tucked underneath neckline of armour
    3)cape fastened around back of helmet
    Once the cape is put on last and wrapped around everything it kinda keeps every thing in one place
    Also i attached a thin black dress shoe lace to the back zipper of the jumpsuit that way if i DO need to get into costume by myself i can get every thing zipped up.
    Enjoy the costume and if you have any tips on how to mod the lenses or what kinda mouth screens you are using let me know.

40. Betamin

Thanks for the tips. I tried on the suit for just a few minutes, and began to sweat standing still looking at it in the mirror. I'll say one thing, they put a LOT of extra strap on everything. Actually, way too much. did they expect someone freakishly huge to try the parts on?

For putting in new lenses, here's a link to a great tutorial for working on the Rubies mask.

http://www.imperial-fleet.com/vader/

41. Darth Chetta

You are right they did put extra straps on everything BUT the cod piece. The strap that goes between the legs could stand to be about 6 inches longer. it is very uncomfortbale its like a Sith-thong

42. Betamin

"Sith-thong" :lol

Yeah, it could use a few more inches of play. I wish the cod waist belt was a little shorter... I cinched it all the way to make it fit. Seeing as there is so much extra on everything else, I may trim some of them down a bit. Not too much though in case I sell the suit down the road.

Thanks for the link for the boots. Those do look nice and not a bad price at all.

43. Darth Chetta

Dont know if this info will help anyone. But i own the Xl costume, WHICH by Rubies specifications was ONLY supposed to fit up to a size 50 chest, well i am a 54 chest and it is still a little big on me. According to Rubies it is only supposed to fit folks with a 40-46 inch waist. Well i have a size 50 waist and AGAIN there is plenty of room. SO if anyone is worried about this costume not fitting i am proof that the size that Rubies has said it will fit is not accurate it will fit much bigger guys than myself with room to spare.

44. wackychimp

wackychimp Well-Known Member

I'm worried about modding mine. Mostly I'm afraid of the orange peel effect when painting. I've had it happen before on other projects and would rather leave the helmet the way it is (for now).

I would do replacement lenses just so I could see better. Who sources them & do they give a better view from the helmet?

I may put in a snap system to hold the shoulder armor on better. My cape pulls it back too. I did the snap thing on my Trooper suit & it works well. I'll try to post plans & a tutorial as I go.

I may also try to fix the neck flare with the boiling water trick.

"Can't have too much flair."

[​IMG]

;) :D :lol

Oh and in case anyone's looking for the link:

http://www.wackychimp.com/supremevader/

45. Betamin

Wackychimp, I got my lenses from Lenseman, here on the board. They're great, and you can see through them quite well. I got the smoked grey lenses for my mask, and it's night and day compared to the Rubies lenses.

I tried the boiling water for my neck flare, and ended up cutting the neck on mine in a curved shape instead. It's not "screen accurate", but I like the looks and fit of it a lot better.

Please do post pics and info on your snap system. I played around with the shoulder armor last night (without the cape) and can see how it would move around. I need to mess with doing something about those damned newer version hinges on the shoulder caps too... wish they'd have left them alone because they now have a huge gap and expose the hinge too much. :(

46. Darth Chetta

Is anyone else having an issue with the shoulder armour? My issue is that the bellon the left side is a little *-eyed and doesnt sit right inthe front. Anyone else?

47. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

i think one of the forst very noticable things is that you can see the wearers face through the grills, those are the first things to be done. Betamin, i'm not the most talented with mods so i need to ask, how did you fit the lenses, did you remove foam padding. Also, when you say you trimmed the neck, how many inches did you take off.
    Thanks

48. Betamin

Darth Chetta, my shoulder bells sit all right, but they both swing under when you stand with your arms down at your sides. Probably because of the new hinge design they put on them with the hinge sticking up and having the space between the shoulder bell and the chest piece. I'm going to play with a hinge mod this weekend and see what I can do with it. I'll post pics if I figure something out.

Darth Domain, I cut about an inch up from the bottom of the back edge and did a gentle curve that came down toward the front, which I didn't cut any off of at all. I did remove and discard the foam padding, and need to find something to make some custom padding inside. I was looking at the Master Replicas Vader helmet pics that have the foam blocks on either side of the cheeks inside, and might play with something like that. As for the lenses and fitting them in, it was a LOT of trial and error with the dremel tool, taking a little off here, a little there, fitting and testing over and over, with occasional times of adding more epoxy to build up a spot. It was a pain, but after seeing how TK1215s looked on his tutorial, I knew it was worth it to make the mask look better.

49. chris1748

chris1748 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thickened up the front and bottom of the bells of my armor with fiberglass and repainted and now it looks like the movie armor.

I replaced and rebuilt the boxes with ROTS size belt boxes
    I replaced the belt buckle with an aluminum one .
    I replaced the gloves with shorter leather ones.
    replaced the neck chain with thicker flatter chain
    replaced the belt with thicker leather belt.
    replaced the helmet with a portumac ROTS helmet.
    looks unbelievable.
    will take pics soon.

chris

50. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Can someone take side by side pics of the shins?

are they the same piece or left and righty?