Rubies Royal Guard helmet

squirk

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My understanding is that while most of Rubies’ licensed SW helmets are crap, the Royal Guard is the one standout piece that is both well-made and screen-accurate. True?

If so, and I wanted to add a RG helmet to my collection, is this the one I want?

Rubie's Star Wars Adult Supreme Edition Imperial Guard Helmet, Red, One Size Costume https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005N516AA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_W4AgCbXSR2E47

Or is there a better variant out there?

Please and thanks!

I’ve seen the helmet in the flesh and it’s pretty nice. My one complaint is it’s very, very deep. So the profile is a bit strange.

I’ve seen the helmet in the flesh and it’s pretty nice. My one complaint is it’s very, very deep. So the profile is a bit strange.

Thx. “Deep,” how? Like, the draping and folds in front are exaggerated?

Thx. “Deep,” how? Like, the draping and folds in front are exaggerated?
The whole helmet is deep from front to back, but it’s more noticeable in the chest/shoulder area. When wearing it there is a large space in front and back where it should sit next to the body.

The most accurate RG helmet is the Don Post.It has the real shape from front and side.The Rubies based on this helmet but because the Don Post is too small for really big heads,they made him bigger.And that you can see because its a lot longer if you look from the side.I have both helmets.
Oh and from the quality..yes the Rubies RG is the best helmet Rubies ever made.Its really well made.

Thanks to you both. Seems like the DP version went out of production over 20 years ago, I’m guessing not long before they lost the SW license to Rubies?

Assuming I can’t find anyone sitting on a pristine DP and willing to part with it, and no one is currently casting off a DP, then am I correct in saying that the Rubies version is the best “new” helmet I’m going to find right now?

I asked around on this forum before buying mine, and for the most part people gave it good feedback. I've been happy with mine since I purchased it.

Attachments

• 20181213_082057.jpg
    20181213_082057.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 512
Thanks to you both. Seems like the DP version went out of production over 20 years ago, I’m guessing not long before they lost the SW license to Rubies?

Assuming I can’t find anyone sitting on a pristine DP and willing to part with it, and no one is currently casting off a DP, then am I correct in saying that the Rubies version is the best “new” helmet I’m going to find right now?

Yes..if you have no chance to get a DP the Rubies is the best choice because he based on the DP wich has lineage to an Originalhelmet from the Lucasarchives.I´ve seen a DP helmet sold for under 100$ last month.I also bought mine on ebay last year.
About the material:The DP ist thick rubber/vinyl...and the rubies is more like fiberglas...very strong.I upgraded my Rubies to make the visor more accurate and repainted him.

You can see what I did here...scroll down:

Home of the Sovereign Protectors • View topic - What is the best Duplicolor paint for a ROTJ RG helmet?

Last edited:
Yes..if you have no chance to get a DP the Rubies is the best choice because he based on the DP wich has lineage to an Originalhelmet from the Lucasarchives.I´ve seen a DP helmet sold for under 100$ last month.I also bought mine on ebay last year.
About the material:The DP ist thick rubber/vinyl...and the rubies is more like fiberglas...very strong.I upgraded my Rubies to make the visor more accurate and repainted him.

You can see what I did here...scroll down:

Home of the Sovereign Protectors • View topic - What is the best Duplicolor paint for a ROTJ RG helmet?

Thanks. That really looks nice. Based on your last pic, I can really see what Unfated was talking about with the Rubies being “deeper” than the DP.

DP photo from StarWarsHelmets.com:

DPimpguard2.jpg

@Kroenen77’s Rubies:
29425559eq.jpg

The DP has the same issue as with their Biker Scout, TIE Pilot, Boba Fett... Mold shrinkage. They're all undersized compared to the original props. The DP RG, when I could even get it past my cheekbones, sitting flat on my head with no padding, saw the avontail hanging a couple inches above my shoulders.

25861582937_357a2c14dc_m.jpg

Versus the Rubies Supreme, which is still snug, though not skin-scrapingly so., and sits right:

31448463097_959b974d65_n.jpg

Here's the original for comparison:

32517061648_f7c29bed4c_n.jpg

45665942514_0a0c401e44_n.jpg

I need to take a picture of my Rubies in profile, because it doesn't look as fat as the picture posted a few above me.

The DP has the same issue as with their Biker Scout, TIE Pilot, Boba Fett... Mold shrinkage. They're all undersized compared to the original props.

Who said that its undersized?All props of the OT are only made for meduim sized persons.And when your head is too big or its too tight a prop is not
automatically undersized.
When you look in Brandon Arlingers book you can read the dimensions inside the helmet.And a person with a 60cm head has a very tight fit that the helmet must touch his cheeks.And that is exact the same with the DP.Because I have a 60cm head.

Left Original..right DP...looks very accurate from the size to me.The only thing on this DP is that the visor is cutted out a little bit too wide.

34620236ya.jpg

For me the Rubies is complete out of shape from the sides.For trooping its the better helmet.But as an accurate prop the DP is the best you can have in your collection.

How would you guys suggest re-painting the DP? I’m not very skilled in prop painting, and have no idea where to begin with painting that flexible vinyl/rubber/whatever it is.

What would I prime and/or paint it with that wouldn’t crack when the helmet flexed? Would I prime it at all?

The material of the DP is solid.Its not really soft.I never painted mine but I know that you can paint it easy with carcolors.I would sand it first..plasticprimer,primer...after that sand it again and paint it in the red you want.The Original was "Candy apple red"...but every company is selling another red under this name.Thrust me you will never find the perfect red.:D

The material of the DP is solid.Its not really soft.I never painted mine but I know that you can paint it easy with carcolors.I would sand it first..plasticprimer,primer...after that sand it again and paint it in the red you want.The Original was "Candy apple red"...but every company is selling another red under this name.Thrust me you will never find the perfect red.:D

Thanks. I had one of these, many years ago, and I thought I remembered them as having some “give”, especially in the avontail. Maybe I am misremembering.

How would you guys suggest re-painting the DP? I’m not very skilled in prop painting, and have no idea where to begin with painting that flexible vinyl/rubber/whatever it is.

What would I prime and/or paint it with that wouldn’t crack when the helmet flexed? Would I prime it at all?
If Krylon is still making their Fusion paint for plastics it's great for this helmet. The "Gloss Red Pepper" in a
beautiful bright red, and sticks to the DP perfectly. I used it several years ago on mine. I wish I would not have sold it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back