rubbing alchol

afedorniak

hi guys and gals,could someone help me out on this subject,rubbing alchol what is it?where do you get it from,and is there a alternative,.ive heard its used for sculpting ect.thanks in advance for your replies.! ;)

Hi, I've just started my first sculpt, rubbing alcohol is an antiseptic that evaporates quickly due to it's high alcohol content. I've been trying to get some rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol myself, apparently you need a licence in the UK to sell it, my local chemist doesn't have the licence, and boots can't find it on their screen so can't help me either. I've found a local supplier of acetone, so I may try this to smooth my sculpt. Hope this helps.

I found somewhere last night that sells isopropanol. I am at work currently but when I get home I will post the link as I will be ordering some today myself.

if it is nsp chavant clay you can use mineral spirits or white spirits to smooth your sculpt. plus it has almost no odor.

not sure, never used klean klay. but as i understand it, white spirits is the same as alchohol. but i could be wrong, better to ask someone who has actually tried it. hate to ruin your clay.

White spirits works fine on chavant, not sure about Klean though sorry. do a small test is the best bet id say.

colwyn bay, only about 40 miles away :D closest pred nut to me ;)

thanks lee and everyone for that,great help,just wondering if purel antiseptic hand wash would do it as it contains high amounts of alchol and evaporates very quickly,what do you think!??

White spirits works fine on chavant, not sure about Klean though sorry. do a small test is the best bet id say.

colwyn bay, only about 40 miles away :D closest pred nut to me ;)
Yes mate not far at all, my daughter is even closer to you, she's a PA at Valley

ive heard its used for sculpting ect.

Alternatives

I've used lighter fluid (pocket sized Refill bottles - what you'd fill a metal Zippo lighter with) when I've worked with a variety of oil based polymer clays

- Its a bit more aggressive than alcohol when it comes to breaking down oil based clays so I use it sparingly and don't go through much. Lighter fluid comes in nice little squeeze bottles with a tiny spout hat gives good application control. I can do single drops or a quick stream - plus in such a small bottle I can store in my tool box with my other supplies.

Whenever I use stuff like that ( or mineral spirits or acetone or anything wicked to dissolve polymers )- I do it with good ventilation and while wearing surgical gloves. Those chemicals will go right through your fingers skin , cuticles at the nail and into your bloodstream. Something you don't want happening if this is a life long hobby or career choice for you.

Cathat

Hi, I've just started my first sculpt, rubbing alcohol is an antiseptic that evaporates quickly due to it's high alcohol content. I've been trying to get some rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol myself, apparently you need a licence in the UK to sell it, my local chemist doesn't have the licence, and boots can't find it on their screen so can't help me either. I've found a local supplier of acetone, so I may try this to smooth my sculpt. Hope this helps.

Rubbing alcohol is nothing more than Isopropyl alcohol, which was used medicinal rubdowns—hence the nickname of rubbing alcohol, it is denatured, meaning that the alcohol is poisonous if consumed. Also it makes it cheaper to purchase since absolute ethanol ( things like everclear, that you can drink)) is under the watch of the ATF tax man here in the states. if you are looking for an easily accessible alcohol solvent, buy a bottle of Everclear....which is usually 75-95 percent ethyl alcohol...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back