rubber dreads for 1/6

georgieboy26

hi guys asking if anyone knows what I can use to make rubber dreads for 1/6 preds, tried sculpy, but its too stiff, need something more soft/bendy.......any ideas on this........need something more like the dreads on hot toys material

Georgieboy, I also have been wondering this. The only way to achieve this the most safe and non-toxic would be going the latex route. Make a couple of different design dreads, make your mold "i recommend using a 2 part mold, due to the size". Dust both sides with talc powder, secure the mold, and pour the latex. I hope this helps. If you need more help shoot me a PM. I could further go into it.

J.

Georgieboy, I also have been wondering this. The only way to achieve this the most safe and non-toxic would be going the latex route. Make a couple of different design dreads, make your mold "i recommend using a 2 part mold, due to the size". Dust both sides with talc powder, secure the mold, and pour the latex. I hope this helps. If you need more help shoot me a PM. I could further go into it.

J.
cheeers bud...i have made molds for skulls and such with silicone rtv, do you think this is ok for latex? or do I make a resin mold? I have some paint on latex and hardner...is this suitable for pouring in small amounts such as dreads....I was hoping to find a shop that sells slim tubular rubber strands, but no joy yet

I know I keep throwing this out there but Sculpy makes a Bend and Bake clay too. I have some and I'm willing to make a scale dread if it will help out. I don't know how flexable HT dreads are though.

If you were to try what Jarrett is saying I would try it in plaster first to make sure you could do it on the cheap. Cast some round toothpicks, maybe. Silicone and RTV would not allow the latex to dry very quickly/properly and so it's not a good mold material for latex.

I know I keep throwing this out there but Sculpy makes a Bend and Bake clay too. I have some and I'm willing to make a scale dread if it will help out. I don't know how flexable HT dreads are though.

If you were to try what Jarrett is saying I would try it in plaster first to make sure you could do it on the cheap. Cast some round toothpicks, maybe. Silicone and RTV would not allow the latex to dry very quickly/properly and so it's not a good mold material for latex.
thanx Anubis....I used b/bake, but its too stiff when dry....its ok for shaping, but stays in a stiff position if ya know what i mean

well made my dreads with super sculpy....if i make a mold with resin, securing the dreads in a mold box, i pour in resin half way? let it set. then pour rest of resin on top, lit it set,,,,then hopefully will have 2 halves, then can use pouring latex in the mold? what is best to use to stop the dreads from sticking to the resin when molding? i have ne seperating agent, will any oil base solution work? or alcohol bases solution? wd40, ... or other lubricating fluid...?

P7010101.JPG

well made my dreads with super sculpy....if i make a mold with resin, securing the dreads in a mold box, i pour in resin half way? let it set. then pour rest of resin on top, lit it set,,,,then hopefully will have 2 halves, then can use pouring latex in the mold? what is best to use to stop the dreads from sticking to the resin when molding? i have ne seperating agent, will any oil base solution work? or alcohol bases solution? wd40, ... or other lubricating fluid...?
I have a suggestion....take the dreads you sculpted out of sculpy and mold them in plaster.RTV and resin will not work for latex.Resin and rtv silicne are for foam dreads.If you make a plaster mold you can do a 1 piece mold and have no seams.Don't do anything to the plaster mold ,just pour your lates(thinned abit) and when they dry pull them out.you can pour them in black latex or natural ,you will just have to paint them when they come out.hope this helps!

I have a suggestion....take the dreads you sculpted out of sculpy and mold them in plaster.RTV and resin will not work for latex.Resin and rtv silicne are for foam dreads.If you make a plaster mold you can do a 1 piece mold and have no seams.Don't do anything to the plaster mold ,just pour your lates(thinned abit) and when they dry pull them out.you can pour them in black latex or natural ,you will just have to paint them when they come out.hope this helps!
cheers mate, had a disaster using resin to mold em.....the resin halves stuck together... :rolleyes: managed to get the master dreads out after breaking the mold up...do you mean plaster of paris to mold them in.....and as for latex..whooo it stinks :D do i need to use hardner, as it goes thick a bit quick....what would i thin it with...and pouring it into those tiny holes is gonna be a bitch ;)

I saw your collection thread... good stuff.

Did you end up being able to do dreads? How did your further attempts go?
thanx Anubis, the casting did not go well...lol... so I went the sculpy way and made 'em singly, they dont look to bad, put some wire in them so can bend them in shape.......thinking of trying drinking straws, maybe able to pour silicone rtv rubber into them to get sections of dreads, cut to size, then somehow taper the ends?? might work??

dreads.jpg

I have never made these but, what about the material used to make the WISKERS for the pred masks? I have heard the materials is rolled out into those small spiney whiskers. Maybe you could use the same stuff to make the 1/6th Dreds?

Someone chime in who has used the stuff...

I have never made these but, what about the material used to make the WISKERS for the pred masks? I have heard the materials is rolled out into those small spiney whiskers. Maybe you could use the same stuff to make the 1/6th Dreds?

not seen those would be good if anyone can update about it

I know your looking into quills but I did this yesterday because I needed a test mold to make sure I could get the hang of Hydrocal...

My latex is going bad and getting clumpy... the ones that came out first had a ton of air bubbles and then stuck to themselves, basically collapsing and looking horible.

If this works with good latex then this wouldn't be that hard to get a few good looking dreads. If I was going to do this again I think I would add the curve to the dreads and maybe some beads.

You can still see the two with and air bubble in them. I made the beads out of scrap plastic, drilling the hole and then using the drill bit to hold in against a disk sander.
1-6_dreads1.jpg

Compared to HT.
1-6_dreads2.jpg

I will go into more detail if you want but basically I made the mold using similar techniques to this tutorial.
http://planetofthegeeks.com/workbench/howto/2partmolds/

Gene I think you are thinking of sculpey bend and bake, the only bad this is they no longer carry the all black cases of it.

-Chris

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back