RS Propmasters Stormtrooper build.

CatfoodRob

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I recently picked up this helmet from the guys at RS Propmasters , it's absolutely perfect in every detail, and prompted me to take the plunge and replace all my armour with the screen accurate Propmasters version .

So this arrived today !!

You certainly can't complain about the packing , a forest full of tissue paper and bubble wrap ( although I'm not sure bubble wrap comes from trees )

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440273413.525647.jpg

It's certainly well packaged !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440273472.712176.jpg

Here's the unpacked bits

. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440273511.758119.jpg

And the very professional fastening kit .

Everything about this armour is well thought out and well presented .

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440356004.556312.jpg

To help save time, I've got my old FX suit out . It's already sized and fits me like a glove, so I will use it to help cut the new costume to fit me.
Theoretically the new suit should fit fairly well anyway , as I'm the correct height and weight for a classic stormtrooper .

Not wishing to jump on the Ainsworth bashing wagon , but this shot compares an Ainsworth " built form the original moulds" helmet with the RS " really cast from an actual helmet " one . They are totally different , once again proving that Ainsworth doesn't have real moulds .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440356325.318564.jpg

I had just two weeks from opening the box to my first event in the suit . If I hadn't given myself a deadline , it would have dragged on ....
First job was to cut a load of fixing strips in two widths , wide for legs, narrow for arms . I used a pair of small tin shears ( metalworking tools) as they trim plastic very well

Then I started building , I used superglue throughout the build . Here's an arm ...

And here it is : the REAL reason stormtroopers have an ammo box on the bottom of their tight thigh armour !

Remember , this armour is a recast of an original ANH suit ... Maybe Brian Moore was having a bad day when he sculpted the two half of the right thigh !

All the torso armour on the real suits were held together by very fiddly little wire hoops, with elastic wrapped through them . I decided on the non screen accurate route of strengthening the armour where the little bolts go through it , by glueing on small double thickness plates , as this photo shows. Hopefully no one will notice and mark me down !

There are plenty pictures of how the real suits were joined together out there on the Internet , so this is how the torso parts ended up

Yes , it's simple yet difficult , if you. Know what I mean !!!

The whole build went together easily . The plastic that RS Propmasters use is a delight to work with , cuts clean and seems very robust .
First pic of the torso

Does my bum look big in this ??

Gilbert the cat showed a slight interest, but not much

This is the belt getting attached , it's made by Clothears Costumes in the UK and is an exact replica of the belt on the Simon suit .

Getting arm parts glued , trimming was simply an exercise in holding the half around the relevant body part , and marking with a biro, then trimming .

Legs getting there

And , I doubt anyone is really interested in my crotch ...but if they are , here it is !

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back