RS 10th Anniversary Stunt HDPE Helmets not HDPE?

woookielookie

This is more a question and one someone much smarter than me might be able to answer.

I'm thinking of buying a Prop Masters HDPE helmet and in the description it reads: 'Made from “green” “HDPE” material as the original helmets were. Fully primed (red) and painted white then detailed with the grey/black/blue detailing.'

I missed out on the run many years ago (they said they might not have enough material to reach a 100 helmets) and understand that the plastic was in short supply. Now they're making this 10th Anniversary run and I assumed they'd found more sheets of HDPE. Someone posted photos of their lid and they're well over a hundred on this run.

I looked at the 'Technical' tab and under 'Plastic Options' it says Polypropylene. Polypropylene is like HDPE but it isn't HDPE. You can read the differences here: https://www.acmeplastics.com/content/hdpe-and-pp-plastic-whats-the-difference/

So does anyone with more knowledge than I care to explain what's going on? I'd drop over £500 if this WAS made from HDPE and even though polypropylene might be a similar material it looks as though it isn't the original material. I have written to RS but there's no reply as of yet.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 74
Well, we don't know for certain that the original helmets were made of HDPE. That particular bit of knowledge comes from years ago when someone (I think it was Trooper Expert) got a hands on look at an original screen used helmet and said that it was made out of plastic, he didn't know what kind, but that it had properties similar to the kind that milk jugs are made from.

Someone, rightly, pointed out that milk jugs are made from HDPE. As usually happens this got repeated over the years so that it has become gospel.

RS owns an original of course so they use material that looks to be as close to their screen used piece as possible.

Cheers,

Dave C

Last edited:
Thank you for the information! Much appreciated!

I thought with plastics like HDPE, it's hard to find. One of the selling points for this helmet was how hard the materials were to find (that the run might suddenly end) Will the polypropylene run go on forever?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back