RPGs - what kind of player are you?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The only RPGs I've really played are SW KOTOR/2, the Fallout games, and Mass Effect games. So I'm not like a diehard RPG player. Anyway an article in PC Gamer got me thinking about this because some real diehard players will play through and not reload any saves, accepting whatever consequences happen to their character. I on the other hand will play through once like that and then do an ideal playthrough. For instance on Mass Effect 2 I ended the game losing Mordin and Tali. So I replayed the last mission until I saved everyone so I could use them in ME3. Mass Effect is unique I guess because I don't think any other games carry over your decisions like that. Some NPC companions I could care less about, like most of the ones in Fallout (except Veronica; she's cheery and is happy just punching what you let her punch :lol). In Fallout 3/NV I just made companions essential so they were invincible, even though must of them sucked. So I rationalize that choice in that the ME characters are so cool that you don't want to see them die. So how do you play?

I'll play through without reloading if i make a bad choice but make a note to avoid it next time. I'm playing mass effect several times to get all the combinations so i can have all the variety for ME 3. The first two fallout games were rough as it was easy to mess up. I still haven't gotten the everyone alive ending for ME2 yet. I'm not big on modern RPGs so i tend to stick to old pc ones or the ones from the NES and up back when they were turn based and still pretty good. Oddly enough I tend to recruit all female companions and always make my characters female if I can.
Seems to stop me from taking risks and on a side note why is it there are no ugly or fat people in the Mass Effect universe? They're all attractive lol.

I don't play RPGs. I play first person shooters (i.e. Left 4 Dead 2, Killing Floor, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch). I'm not a big fan of RPGs. I hate Dead Island, because of its tedious RPG elements such as stopping at every freakin' cluster of backpacks to search through, collect cash which you can use, and tons of useless materials that you can go throughout the whole game without even having to use in any way) and a lack of real danger or consequence from dying (with Left 4 Dead 2, you have the sense of danger around every corner, risk of your death affecting the three others playing with you and, most importantly, that you can feel a sense of foreboding that only comes with a scenario where you're potentially afraid of where death may be coming from. Same is true with Killing Floor, where if you die, the odds of your teammates surviving the round without you stacks up against you). I'm not a fan of RPGs, and I don't think I ever could (and I even tried the Battlestar Galactica MMORPG, and I couldn't get into it because it only captured the action side of the show and not the dramatic side, or making any of the tough decisions that affects the story).

Last edited:
I think it'd be to easy to genetically figure out any "undesirable" traits and no McDonalds, so no obese people.
I'm the same way. Any mistakes in the game, BOOM, reload from last save point. And I make mistakes ALOT.

Parts of Mass Effect 2 get tedious compared to the first one. Bioware can't seem to leave enough alone with how they do things as ME2 wasn't' as good as the first thanks to the changes they made. Dragon Age was the same way.

I've tried a few RPGs, but the only one I've ever enjoyed was the first Fable. I'm a Star Wars fanatic, so tried KOTOR and absolutely hated it. I've been contemplating trying the new one, though.

Oh wait - I just remembered Castlevanie II. That was an RPG, wasn't it? I enjoyed that.

I think it'd be to easy to genetically figure out any "undesirable" traits and no McDonalds, so no obese people.
I'm the same way. Any mistakes in the game, BOOM, reload from last save point. And I make mistakes ALOT.

Where's the fun in being able to go back and correct mistakes you've made? That's why I like Left 4 Dead 2 and Killing Floor, not because they're co-op, but there's risks that your choices could get you or more of your group killed. The only time I like save points are for single player games where it saves automatically, so if I get a BSoD or the power goes out or something like that, I can pick right back up where I left off.

I don't mind replaying if it is something big like changing stuff that appears in game like in Mass Effect. I hope they let you unlock Tali without her helmet in ME3. Oddly enough it's my favorite franchise yet when i first saw it in 2007 i hated it until i played it. A lot of RPGs are that way, i hated them back in the 80s.

I'm the same way. I couldn't stand RPGs until I played KOTOR. A lot of the newer ones since then eliminated a lot of stuff I didn't like, such as getting a mission to go kill 100 rats so you can go further in the game. That's what put me off. Also dragons, magic, dwarves, elves, etc... I may still try Skyrim though just because it looks cool.

I think I play all RPGs the same way: I start off as a good too-shoes and then get corrupted to the point where I slaughter anything that annoys me, even the slightest only to redeem myself just enough to play out the ending as a good guy.

My all-time fave RPG moment was in Oblivion where I joined a vampire hunters guild as a vampire and eventually slaughtered them all.

I've tried, but other than KOTOR most "bad" play throughs come off like you're just an *sshole instead of a really bad guy. Also I start to feel bad because I'd rather play the good guy. :lol

Mass effect 1 has you come off as more of a jerk than bad but in ME 2 you can just slaughter your way through the game to be a real bad guy.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back