RPF's Own ScruffyRebel Takes on Moscow...

Can you actually have "groupies" for an event?

Aren't groupies for "groups".

I guess nerds and geeks were taken.

That had to be the most ill-informed reporter I've ever seen interview one of us.

Victoria handled this very crass individual's asinine and derogatory attempts to skew this community as a group of unconcerned social pariahs with exemplary eloquence and decorum.

They validated her point further by cutting off her mic so abruptly mid sentence.

Also there was a very prevalent problem that was addressed about the homeless which should be left for the city government, social resources and the collective public to resolve as in any part of the country. But this reporter's scathing attempt to scapegoat this issue on the folks coming into town over a singular week out of the year is baffling, again Victoria handled this with an incredibly measured and insightful response.

Would the economy rebound faster than the Showtime Lakers if we all stopped attending and spending our revenue at con? Most certainly not, just ask the city of San Diego scrambling to collect the lucrative fiscal turnover each year.

Last edited:
Well done, Victoria.

What a pathetic excuse for an interview. Do they do the same type of story after every Super Bowl?

I don't understand what the difference is between spending the money to take a vacation to Comic Con vs spending the money to take a vacation to some place is Disney World? I guess people who go on vacations aren't doing their part for the economy. :confused :confused :confused

How stupid can you be and still be breathing? That right there takes the prize. ANY kind of spending is good for the economy and if Comic Con doesn't fit in to her little box of things that are appropriate to spend your money on......................OMG, just unbelievable!

Poor Victoria. Held up remarkably well under the onslaught, and getting cut off mid sentences at every attempt to make a defense.

That reporter should be fired. A newsroom is no place for passing off your personal opinion and promoting your personal agenda and ideas. Unbiased reporting, lady, UNBIASED.

Oh, WAIT! I just did a quick bit of research on what is RT Studio--RT TV network......
RT America

Based in RT's Washington, DC Bureau, RT America also has studios in New York, Miami and Los Angeles. RT America's broadcast operations began in January 2010. Currently the network only broadcasts in the afternoon and evening. RT America focuses on covering the Americas from an international and Russian perspective.
Take particular notice of the last two words. Enough said. I'm so glad to find out it wasn't an American news organization report---not that they are perfect, but at least I don't think any American reporter would be berating people for spending money, ANY amount, ANY where in our country.

So, consider the source, before you spend too much of your energies in outrage----------cause you should be spending your energies on important social issues like the plight of the homeless and thi..............:wacko

EDIT: *I guess "Takes on Moscow" didn't sink in until AFTER I posted* : )))

Shylaah

Last edited:
International and Russian perspective? That really doesn't sound like it would be fair and balanced coverage. That reporter should be more worried about the Russian economy and how corrupt her country is instead of focusing on a bunch of people having fun. Is fun still illegal in Russia?

NEWSFLASH !!!
The cold war is over no need for the Russki bashing.
:confused Rally where is this happening? I watched the interview and only heard the reporter dwell on the American economy and how thoughtless U.S. cosplay people are for splurging on our hobby.

Do you think Victoria was possibly mislead or under the impression that this was a fluff piece about Cosplay and SDCC but instead got ambushed about our economic hardships.

Yeah, it sure read that way. And I think she counterambushed right back, with gusto. :thumbsup

Americans don't receive enough vacation time as it is, and they actually USE still less. Sheesh, what does that anchor want, people to be chained to their weaving machines?

Not really surprising with this "news" outlet. They are horribly biased in their reporting and should be ignored. I feel sorry that she got ambushed into this most likely thinking she was doing a fun fluff piece.

Well. That raised my blood pressure a few points.

BRAVO VICTORIA!! You were eloquent. The "newscaster" probably thought they were going to provoke you; instead they got an eloquent rebuke. Well done!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back