RPF gallery of scale model cars...

tommin

Sr Member
I thought it would be kind of neat to see if there were any other car nuts out there...
icon_smile.gif

I'll start the parade with one of my very own vintage AMT/ERTL Back to the Future Delorean. This kit came with molded grey and black pieces. There are a few chrome parts but the body on mine was, originally, grey plastic.

img1.jpg

Cutting the door for a raised position was a little tricky considering the 1/24 scale. This thing is pretty small. I chose not to install the clear plastic headlight lenses for a more dimensional effect.

img2.jpg

The instructions indicated that the interior was supposed to be flat blue so I went with it. Still not sure, however.

img3.jpg

One of these days I plan to get a better display stand for it.
icon_wink.gif

Is there anyone here that builds these from time to time? I don't think that it really has to be a movie car necessarily. Anyone wanna share pics???

Heeeeere's another one.
icon_wink.gif

About two years ago, Revell had sponsored a custom PT Cruiser contest with Scale Auto magazine. The rules were straight forward. Any design was welcome. It just had to be based on a PT Cruiser kit.

I thought that I would give it a shot since I was already inspired by the 2001 auto show in New York. Here's a picture of the 2002 PT Cruiser Concept Convertible.

real.jpg

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the PT Cruiser, but this little car rocks!!!

Okay, now for a few shots of the car that I built, based on the real concept car...

img1.jpg

My finished model is based on the Revell, Wheels of Fire, Chrysler PT Cruiser. Stock #85-1914

img6.jpg

It is a 1:25 scale 'SnapTite NO GLUING! NO PAINTING! Skill Level 1' Model kit.

img2.jpg

Base color for the body is Model Master Deep Pearlescent Purple #2947. The can didn't indicate that it was metal flake, but hey, once its on, let's go with it!!!
icon_wink.gif
Add a few nice coats of #1261 Testors Glosscote and that metal flake stands out like a flock of fire flies.

img3.jpg

The collapsed convertible top is 3 ply balsa, custom cut and carefully sanded to the right contour. I used 3/32" x 2" x 36" stock left over from some past model rocket projects.
icon_smile.gif

img4.jpg

Creating a two door sports car out of a four door wagon was the real trick. Moving the door handles and seams were part of that grueling effort.

img5.jpg

Dressed out and ready to hit the road! Stock wheels didn't work out so I used some Aoshima custom wheels and tires. Not sure of the style number. Aoshima custom wheel kits come with much wider rear wheels and tires. I picked up two of the same kits and used the front pair from each set to get a uniform tire size for all four paws.

:: Latest news has it, within the last year, the PT Cruiser Concept Convertible 1:25 scale kit is now available from Revell!!
icon9.gif
True story.

Like before, anyone wanna share model car pics??? Would love to see them & feel free to show them off here.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Tommin!

Here's another... Modeled after a car owned by my brother, with custom license plates that match his, SRS labels on the visors, and added side-impact air bags!

Box002.jpg

Box001.jpg

Box003.jpg

Oh man, wish I could show you guys my collection, but can't imagine posting pics for about 80 something 1:18 scale die cast cars is here, whic I am selling my collection by the way to invest in my saber collection. Anyone interested?
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow!! The Boxster looks wicked cool!!! What is the scale on this??

I like the Batmobile line-up. That's a good idea. I've built the '89 version but have never picked up the others. A side by side collection like that is pretty sweet. Now all you need to do is add the Lincoln Futura version from the late '60s.
icon_wink.gif

Is that a General Lee, seen, on the far right??
icon_smile.gif

Tom

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
tommin wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Wow!! The Boxster looks wicked cool!!! What is the scale on this??
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! Was a labor of love! Color-matched to the exact colors of the actual car (sort of--the silver is straight out of a can, but the "leather" is custom mixed to match!). Its the 1/25 Tamiya kit.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I like the Batmobile line-up. That's a good idea. I've built the '89 version but have never picked up the others. A side by side collection like that is pretty sweet. Now all you need to do is add the Lincoln Futura version from the late '60s.
icon_wink.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the first and last done for a long time, and just last year finished No. Two. Thought about the 60's version for continuity, but not as hot on it...

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Is that a General Lee, seen, on the far right??
icon_smile.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Good eye! And the Minority Report Lexus on the left, but that was not a kit...

Maybe more cars later!

Cool!! Nice work, PHArchivist! When you have more car pics ready, by all means, bring 'em on!!!

Sweet Mustang, David! Thanks for joining in!! Rumor has it that you are currently working on a Cobra among a few other pojects? Maybe we'll see that one here soon too??
icon_wink.gif

Well I hate to admit that I've gotten pretty lazy over the years. Now I just buy the upperend 1:18 diecast models. Much easier to put together.
icon_wink.gif

Here's my latest purchase. Kyosho's 308 gtb qv
308-2.jpg

NICE!!! There's nothing wrong with a Kyosho purchase.
icon_wink.gif

Here's one that I like to take for a spin from time to time.

img18.jpg

img22.jpg

img23.jpg

icon_biggrin.gif

Tom

I've found the next diecast I want to buy. Again not a kit but damn look at the detail. 1:12 GMP GT40 chassis 1075 '69 Le Mans winner
gmpgt40-1.jpg

gmpgt40-3.jpg

Here's my 1/1 scale car - and it definitely counts 'cos I did build it from a kit!
libra%20at%20chat2sm.jpg

Plus my Pocher 1/8 Porsche kit just arrived this moring, can't wait to browse the contents!
Here they are!
Pocherkitbits.JPG

Crappy pic I know...

It comes in a highly reflective beautiful black finish, but I quite fancy doing it in yellow! (see kit car pic
icon_smile.gif
)

SAS

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back