RPF 2014 Halloween Costume Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Re: RPF 2014 Halloween Costume Contest - VOTING CLOSED

Drumroll please...

The winners are:

attachment.php

In the case of the voted tie in the women's category, Talaaya was ranked higher by the judges (just barely) so she receives the higher "voted" prize.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF OUR WINNERS!

And congratulations to all of our other entrants. Great costumes! Thank you for participating. :)

Attachments

• 2014 Costume Winners.jpg
    2014 Costume Winners.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 887
Oh wow awesome! Thanks so much guys! I'm honored to be amongst the best talent in the world on these board. This is why this is about the only costume contest I like to do!

Awesome! I can't wait to tell my daughter tonight. Thanks to everyone who voted for her. And kudos to all of the other great costumes.

Congrats to all the winners! I clearly need to up my game (and take way better pics) for next year. But I definitely want to enter again, because this was fun! :)

I'm new here and new to cosplay in general. I just joined this site and am amazed by all the talent here. Can't wait to see what everyone else has in store for next year because all the costumes submitted were fantastic!

These contests get worse every year and I predicted exactly who would win because I know how these contests work as they are too easily predictable. They are nothing more than popularity contests, I could get about 2,000 people to vote me for too from Facebook but I have too much pride to win a contest based on friends voting. As I said in previous years only older members here should be able to vote period, not people joining just to vote for friends. Secondly just because a costume is very complex and expensive to make does not necessarily make it the best costume. My costume was not easy to make and also not really cheap, but I do not have the budget and time to sculpt an entire costume just for this contest as I am too busy making costumes for others usually. I could make a full body suit costume that I could barely move in as well, but it "looks great" even though I can't move and can barely see it might still win. But how practical is it to wear? I could make a statue look great too and say it is a costume.

That should not be necessary to win a contest. Also as usual and as predicted, the judges took the easy way out and voted for the 3rd highest voted person as the winner, which they did before and are simply agreeing with the voters. Sorry but that is CRAP and makes the judges pic worthless. That being said all of the costumes were great and I am not saying anything bad about them, but the contest, judging and rules are still horrible and flawed and favor popularity, and complex sculpting builds in every way and those who already have enough money anyway. Votes should be made by members here who have been around a year or more and because they want to, not just to help a friend win. As I said I predicted this all would happen and this is why many did not join this year as stated, and if these current set of rules stay in place this was my last contest. I win plenty of contests that I go to in person anyway and I don't care about the prizes, but I am not going to waste time entering every year when I know exactly who is going to win and that the judges are going to jump on the bandwagon and pick the 3rd highest voted so they are "safe", and I refuse to "beg for votes" just to win.

You see most of the voters only come to vote for their buddies and then never visit again. That is BS, and the the RPF encourages that because all they care about is getting new members, even if they are gone after the voting. You should not have to ask anyone to vote for you your costume should speak for itself. So make that one less entry next year.

Last edited:
On a lighter note... Well done to all the fokes who worked hard on their costumes! I hope you liked my cosplay and I will enter next year with my new build!

:)

Congrats to the winners! :cool The voting was really hard for me because there were so many awesome builds (as always). (y)cheers
Everybody has their own set of criteria for voting, the contest does not state "most complex" or "most original" etc. People can cast their vote for whatever reason they choose. At the core this is a popularity contest, as all "popular vote" contests are. Sometimes its the popularity of the character, sometimes the popularity of the build, and probably rarely, the popularity of the member.
I don't know what the judges criteria is, but last year they did not award the judges pick to 3rd place in any category. (my daughter wished they did! :lol )
Just to be clear, 2013 the judges picks as they correspond to the popular vote:
Women - 1st place
Men - 1st place
New Members - 16th place
Kids - 9th place
I didn't enter this year but that had nothing to do with how the contest was run (this year or in the past). I just didn't think the costume I had this year was up to snuff, since my daughter made her own costume this year it wasn't eligible to be entered under my membership. We will both be entering next year for sure. :) If you enjoy building costumes and showing them off then have fun with the contest, if a soft inflated cushion is needed when to sit down when you don't win, well...competition isn't for everyone. ;)

Thanks to the staff of the RPF, this is an awesome contest with the coolest entries I've ever seen, I love that there has to be a build thread for each entry, so you can see the time and effort put into the costumes.
Thanks Michael Bergeron (is that function working yet!? :lol ) your time and effort running this contest and the Secret Santa is much appreciated (all while having a career and family! :eek ) You are an inspiration man! (y)cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to go through this one point by point.

These contests get worse every year and I predicted exactly who would win because I know how these contests work as they are too easily predictable. They are nothing more than popularity contests, I could get about 2,000 people to vote me for too from Facebook but I have too much pride to win a contest based on friends voting. As I said in previous years only older members here should be able to vote period, not people joining just to vote for friends. Secondly just because a costume is very complex and expensive to make does not necessarily make it the best costume. My costume was not easy to make and also not really cheap, but I do not have the budget and time to sculpt an entire costume just for this contest as I am too busy making costumes for others usually. I could make a full body suit costume that I could barely move in as well, but it "looks great" even though I can't move and can barely see it might still win. But how practical is it to wear? I could make a statue look great too and say it is a costume.

Your criteria may be different from any other individual. Fact is that voting and judgements are based on a photograph and a build thread. If this was a contest in which all contestants were in a room then mobility may matter, but it doesn't. Also, we can't limit voting to older members, once we enable voting in a gallery all members can vote. So instead of developing code we simply let everyone know that they're on the same playing field. Have 2,000 friends on Facebook that would have voted for you? Get them. You would have beaten the highest voted costume in the contest by 1,950 votes. That's right, the highest voted costume in the entire contest just got 50 votes. Hardly an indication of vicious recruiting. Also, if you "figured out" the key to this contest is to build a statue instead of a costume then build one. Quite frankly, I don't see any of the winners, voted or judged, that look like statues. I see very carefully crafted costumes, and in many cases, professional photos to show them off. Top prize here is $250. Hardly a sum that people would build something completely impractical for. These are all costumes.

That should not be necessary to win a contest. Also as usual and as predicted, the judges took the easy way out and voted for the 3rd highest voted person as the winner, which they did before and are simply agreeing with the voters. Sorry but that is CRAP and makes the judges pic worthless.

What this indicates to ME is that the voted picks were very fair. For the record, in the New Members category the judges picked 17th place. For the Men's category Biniccr was the runaway winner with three of the four judges giving him a perfect score. It was hardly a "let's pick third place" decision and there was disagreements from the individual judges. I'm not going to defend their picks because I don't have to. I look at all the entries and can't say that I'd make a significantly different call if I were a judge.

That being said all of the costumes were great and I am not saying anything bad about them, but the contest, judging and rules are still horrible and flawed and favor popularity,

Any vote, by definition, is a popularity contest.

and complex sculpting builds in every way and those who already have enough money anyway.

Time and skill will trump money any time. However just because a person had money doesn't mean that they can't enter a costume contest. This is a contest, not a charity.

Votes should be made by members here who have been around a year or more and because they want to, not just to help a friend win.

Members here that know each other won't vote for their friends? Nonsense. Many will vote for the costume they think is best, but some will vote for people they like. Happens in any voted contest and I'm sure it happened here as well. However again, looking at the winners there isn't any situation where someone in a cardboard box ran away with the vote. This seems all on the up and up.

As I said I predicted this all would happen and this is why many did not join this year as stated, and if these current set of rules stay in place this was my last contest. I win plenty of contests that I go to in person anyway and I don't care about the prizes, but I am not going to waste time entering every year when I know exactly who is going to win and that the judges are going to jump on the bandwagon and pick the 3rd highest voted so they are "safe", and I refuse to "beg for votes" just to win.

Well, for starters we have approximately the same amount of participants as last year (we would have had more but I had to remove some due to not completing all the requirements). And again, I call BS on your assessment of the judges as stated above. If you don't care about the prizes, and you self admittedly don't have the time to make something that you feel could win, and you're not going to try and get people to vote for you... Why enter? You're coming off as sour grapes. I'm glad you win lots of costume contests in person, you didn't win this one. That gives you three options for next year: Step up your game, try and campaign for votes, or don't enter. Don't be sore about it, learn from it. If you think you know how to "game the system" then do it and prove me wrong. I'm calling you out. Of all 12 winners this year you know how many repeat winners we have? TWO. Neither of them taking first place. The rules are fair and if they were easily played you would see more repeat winners.

You see most of the voters only come to vote for their buddies and then never visit again. That is BS, and the the RPF encourages that because all they care about is getting new members, even if they are gone after the voting. You should not have to ask anyone to vote for you your costume should speak for itself. So make that one less entry next year.

Looked at the votes for the winners, go figure, I see a LOT of established members in that voting list. Again, calling you out. Your predictions are bogus as are your facts. I'm cool with one less entry next year.

That should not be necessary to win a contest. Also as usual and as predicted, the judges took the easy way out and voted for the 3rd highest voted person as the winner, which they did before and are simply agreeing with the voters. Sorry but that is CRAP and makes the judges pic worthless. That being said all of the costumes were great and I am not saying anything bad about them, but the contest, judging and rules are still horrible and flawed and favor popularity, and complex sculpting builds in every way and those who already have enough money anyway. Votes should be made by members here who have been around a year or more and because they want to, not just to help a friend win. As I said I predicted this all would happen and this is why many did not join this year as stated, and if these current set of rules stay in place this was my last contest. I win plenty of contests that I go to in person anyway and I don't care about the prizes, but I am not going to waste time entering every year when I know exactly who is going to win and that the judges are going to jump on the bandwagon and pick the 3rd highest voted so they are "safe", and I refuse to "beg for votes" just to win.

Since a lot of that seems aimed at me, I thought I'd clarify some things. I'm just a college student and don't have much money, my suit was sculpted over 6 months in between classes and working on various tv shows and other shoots. I spent an insane amount of time on my creature suit making it as accurate as I could to the original filming suits and the mobility turned out fantastic, I can even fully swim in it. I entered the contest because I finally had made something that I thought was good enough to enter and then I didn't look back at it until a few days before voting had closed, saw I was actually doing pretty well and decided to ask some of my friends that were already RPF members if they'd help give me a boost. I don't like popularity contests either and think they destroy the whole point of a contest, the suit wasn't made just for some contest, I made it because I love the creature, but I've entered a few other costume contests this Halloween season and didn't even place because there was always some hot girl in a skimpy Halloween costume, so for me to finally get some recognition for all the hard work I put into it is awesome, especially coming from the RPF, which I consider to have some of the most talented people in the world, so thank you to everyone who voted for me, it means a lot!

These contests get worse every year and I predicted exactly who would win because I know how these contests work as they are too easily predictable. They are nothing more than popularity contests, .

Personally, I think you are wrong. I am not into costuming, and hardly frequent that sub-forum.

But from the way and for who I voted personally in the 4 categories : 1 got first place (and I have no idea who s/he is) , 1 got second place (who is an active costumer on the board), 1 got second place (and I have no idea who s/he is) and another didn't do well.

So from my point of view, as I went for who I thought had the best costumes without considering who it was or how many votes existed already, it tallied rather well with the general opinion of all the votes.

IMO, it was quite normal.

Nothing wrong with the Contest You lost try next year. I vote for who I want , some have talent, some can afford a 3D printer, some just try... Ill be in it next year, I get a vote great I don't oh well..

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back