Roy's Rey's Quarterstaff

roygilsing

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
P9090017-Edit.jpg

This is my version of Rey's staff from TFA. Finally I finished it and I thought I share my build here. I'm a little late to the party, but hey: that's the story of my life :)
So its just my personal project and not a project run. Maybe it helps some people who are still planning to build this. It was a lot of fun!

In short, this is what I did:
- 3D printed parts based on the great work done by Delphius. I remodeled some parts to make it a bit more accurate or easier to print.
- I used a wooden dowel as a base, cut in two parts with a screw connection in the middle.
- I bought two correct vintage British army Lee Enfield rifle slings on eBay.
- A got the buckles from some various shops
- I made some leather straps, complete with snaps and rivets. I used black full grain leather.

Finish and assembly:
- I finished the printed parts with a double layer of filler/primer.
- I then glued all the pieces in place. I might have made some errors in the correct spacing, but it was too late once I discovered that.
- Next a texture spray. I used rust-oleum pebble texture spray. This is a great way to cover the remaining visible print layers (I hardly did any sanding)
- Next a layer of Humbrol metalcote steel. When it's dry you can buff it and it's almost perfect! It looks amazing.
- I added a wash of sienna acrylic paint by airbrush
- I got some rust colored pigment powder and applied it in the corners and crevises. I used some water dimuted wood glue solution for bonding which I applied with a brush.
- I also added some graphite powders to bring back some metal luster on the faux metal parts.

The leather:
- I weathered the leather by rubbing it with alcohol and then with sandpaper. I then sprayed it with some olive color and a little bit of silver paint and used sandpaper again to make it look old and dirty.

The fabrics:
- I got some cheap brown fabric and some medical wraps for the white pieces on top
- I stained the textiles with coffee (espresso!) and some very diluted paints.
- I glued the pieces in place and tied some knots.

Here are some pictures during the build and of the result.

Cheers, I hope you like it!

Roy

2019-01-28 09.56.06.jpg

IMG_8830.jpg

IMG_8835.jpg

IMG_8842.jpg

P9090013-Edit.jpg

P9090014.jpg

P9090026-Edit.jpg

P9090024.jpg

P9090020.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome especially the weathering job.

Thread title sounds like a name for a all girl Korean pop band

Great job with that quarterstaff! I have a fondness for this piece from the new trilogy, so it's nice to see one that is so well done. The paint and weathering jobs are especially nice! If one thing I wish you'd spent just a bit more time sanding the print lines. Even though I reckon they're barely visible, they're still a bit too present to my taste :).

Something I've often wondered about that quarterstaff is about that big part with fins. It looks as though its asymmetrical, but I wonder if it's intentional, or if it might just be damage that occured during shooting, or even a defect that happened while this specific cast was made. If one of you guys know more about it, I'd be interested to hear it.
rey10.jpg

Great job with that quarterstaff! I have a fondness for this piece from the new trilogy, so it's nice to see one that is so well done. The paint and weathering jobs are especially nice! If one thing I wish you'd spent just a bit more time sanding the print lines. Even though I reckon they're barely visible, they're still a bit too present to my taste :).

Something I've often wondered about that quarterstaff is about that big part with fins. It looks as though its asymmetrical, but I wonder if it's intentional, or if it might just be damage that occured during shooting, or even a defect that happened while this specific cast was made. If one of you guys know more about it, I'd be interested to hear it.
View attachment 1058651

Thanks, and yes I agree: I should have spend a bit more time sanding or getting rid of some print lines.

I'm not sure the part is asymmetrical. It rotational symmetrical in 3 equal parts. I don't think it's damage that you see but just a flat area. Having it in 3x 120 degree angles makes it look weird from almost every viewpoint. But who knows. I'm not absolutely sure either.

Yes, that would surprise me too if that part was indeed asymmetrical. I'm probably overthinking things a bit here. I just like that idea of purposely introducing asymmetry in a screen-used prop to make it harder to replicate!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back