Royal Guard Pep

ctx32

This is my 2nd Pep and I have a few questions.
I'm ready for fiberglass, But I saw a video about washing the entire Pep with glue. Is this necessary?
Thank you for the Pep file guys, My wife has become my Pep model.
Calvin

DSC04474.jpg

DSC04476.jpg

Washing the pep with glue? No.....Don't do that. A couple of layers of resin and then fiberglass. No glue washing necessary.

Yeah glue washing sounds like a bad idea, that would water proof the paper. You want the resin to saturate the paper and become one.

On a side note, the helmet looks great, These folks were super cool.

That does look great. May I ask where you got the pep file for this? Would love to try my hand at a Royal Guard!

Great pep work ;)... I also use 2 outside coats of resin and 1 to 2 inside coats before I fiberglass... It's always worked well for me

2 coats on the outside, let it dry.
Then 2 coats on the inside, let it dry.
Then 1 coat with the fiberglass cloth on the inside.
Right?
Calvin

I usually use one coat on the inside, one on the outside, then fiberglass cloth after another light coat on the inside. Nice work so far on the pep, I'm glad my files are being put to use.

I'd bet the vid you saw was using aqua resin, not polyester resin. Aqua resin will soak into the cardstock paper and turn a pep to mush if it's not waterproofed. Poly resin will only partially soak into the cardstock and won't deform it.

You only use glue to seal foam pep builds. One coat of fiber glass on the inside and one coat of resin on the outside. Your then going to have to use many coats of bondo for the final shape.

Fierfek, Thank you for the file.
It was a real joy to build and it was very clear on the layout.
I'm also working on a Biker Scout helmet that was done by Nintendo dude.
I think that was the name.
My wife is trying to join the 501st.

I can't wait till the Pit Droid file is complete, hint hint.

Thanks for the info on glassing guys, ill post pics this weekend.
I hope it all goes good.
Calvin

you're just wasting the effort of coating outside and the inside. Just brush the inside with "rondo".

If you do a coat of poly resin on the outside it will cover the holes, so you'll have a better rondo work on the inside, and it will also give you a better surface for the bondo (it will stick better to the helmet) plus a harder surface to work.

If you do a coat of poly resin on the outside it will cover the holes, so you'll have a better rondo work on the inside, and it will also give you a better surface for the bondo (it will stick better to the helmet) plus a harder surface to work.
the resin isn't a better substrate to put bondo on. Using rondo in the inside fills the corners and beveled areas hence it's better to do this alone before the filler. This is the most cost effective way to do it.

Of course, a rondo coat must be applied, but for Rondo you also need Poly Resin, so the cost would be the same. Applying a first coat of plain Poly resin on the outside costs the same and it takes around 1 to 2 hours to dry and 10 minutes to apply.

I couldn't wait for the weekend and had alittle time to spend.
So I put the 1st coat of Fiber Resin on the outside.
Boy does that stuff stink!!!!!!

Maybe tomorrow I can get the second coat on the outside and prepare
for the inner coat.
Calvin

DSC04477.jpg

A mix of Bondo and Polyester Resin. I can't tell you the ratio but it becomes a smooth resin, easy to work with which will cover any hole, and when hardened it's rock solid.

I applied 2 coats of fiber Resin on the outside, 2 on the inside, followed by Fiberglass Cloth. I know it's sloppy work with the cloth but its my 1st time. Its as hard as a rock.

DSC04490.jpg

I need to clean the edges and give it a sand to prepare the outside for Evercoat Bondo.
Hope it works out.
Calvin

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back