Royal Guard Helmet - 3D printed - Finished.

It's getting there. Should be within a week or three. It's warming up enough and I am clearing junk out of my painting booth this coming week, so cross your fingers for me. I have some things that are higher priority to finish, but it should at least get primed and sanded a few times.

This is looking fantastic!!! I am working on mine currently, any recommendations on the correct red paint to use?

This is looking fantastic!!! I am working on mine currently, any recommendations on the correct red paint to use?

I used Rustoluem Gloss Apple Red. Some threads and forums have suggested a candy red, but honestly I think the paint that i used is pretty close.

TazMan2000

Nice Work TazMan.
I printed the last pieces of mine yesterday, unfortunatly i don't like the edges of mine and it turned out to big for my head. :(

Here is a picture of one of the edges:
img_20200608_21403240jso.jpg

Whered did you buy the 3D model or the stl Files?

Nice Work TazMan.
I printed the last pieces of mine yesterday, unfortunatly i don't like the edges of mine and it turned out to big for my head. :(

Here is a picture of one of the edges:
View attachment 1308688

Whered did you buy the 3D model or the stl Files?

Check out Darthrith on Cgtrader.com . There is a sale on this item, only $3.50. I paid 5 bucks a while back and I thought that was a good deal.

TazMan2000

Thank you for the link.

Did you print it on 100% scale?
My head size is 56cm.
The last 2 builds (one from pepakura and one 3d print) were always too large.

As I said back on page one, the guy who sculpted the helmet originally, did so as close as he could over a cast of his own head, which he said was on the large side. Your head circumference puts you on the line between small and medium hat sizes. I'm about an inch bigger around, and solidly in the "Large" size category, but I also have what milliners call a "long" skull shape -- longer front to back than side to side. This, as opposed to the "standard" head shape that is, while not exactly symmetrical, more balanced between the two. So I'd say large to extra large, depending on head shape, would fit an accurate one of these. So it's no wonder you find them too big.

I know they're pricey, but have you ever tried on a Don Post RG helmet from the '90s?

Ok, thank you. I will print some examples in different scales from near the cheeks to test.

The first test print of 100% looks ok, but I can turn my head inside, so I will try the next test a little bit smaller.

Unfortunately I couldn't test a DP or Rubies Helmet. I could buy one, but I want to make it on my own.

Ok, thank you. I will print some examples in different scales from near the cheeks to test.

The first test print of 100% looks ok, but I can turn my head inside, so I will try the next test a little bit smaller.

Unfortunately I couldn't test a DP or Rubies Helmet. I could buy one, but I want to make it on my own.

My head is 56cm as well. but as Inquisitor Peregrinus inferred, circumference is just a part of the fit. If you read back to the first page of posts, IP said that the original prop from the movie brushed the cheeks and nose of the actor when they put it on. The one I printed at 100 percent fit exactly like that. The mask I recommended is not 100 percent screen accurate, but it was accurate enough for my need. If one was to wear a helmet like this, a somewhat elaborate flat ducting system would need to be installed so that you would get enough Oxygen and remove the Carbon Dioxide. I don't need it myself. The helmet is just going to sit on the shelf with the others.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back