Round2 Acquires Star Wars License

Like I posted at SSM, I'm not getting excited. Both FM and Bandai pretty much just released the same thing we've always gotten, X-Wing, TIEs, etc. I want a TIE Bomber, Republic Gunship, decent sized Blockade Runner, Star Destroyer, etc., etc. We don't ever see any new subjects. The only place doing that is with the Star Wars Legions kits, and those are intended for gaming.

If anything I would think this is one of those companies who might actually be willing to give us a larger scale models. More than Bandai, I would think this is the best chance for a 1/48 Y-Wing a larger scale Blockade Runner etc...

AMT/Round 2 have tackled some really sought after things of subjects like a newly tooled Space 1999 Eagle in 1/72 and in 1/48 and the newly tooled Hawk in 1/72.

Also they did several different variations of the 1/350 Enterprise. Between that and the 1/48 Eagle they are not afraid of larger kits

Plus they are not beholden to the kid friendly sound and play style of many of the Revell easy style kits.

I 'm really looking forward to any new tools they come out with

The Space 1999 prop kit is a no brainer. The Voyager is tempting as I gave mine away long ago. If we get a large scale Falcon, I’m all in.

I'm excited for this, because I still have models I want to do that require X-wings and Millennium Falcons, and the Bandai kits are just too small for them. Plus he said they'd be updating them, so hopefully that means more accuracy and more imaginative decal sheets. :D

If anything I would think this is one of those companies who might actually be willing to give us a larger scale models. More than Bandai, I would think this is the best chance for a 1/48 Y-Wing a larger scale Blockade Runner etc...

AMT/Round 2 have tackled some really sought after things of subjects like a newly tooled Space 1999 Eagle in 1/72 and in 1/48 and the newly tooled Hawk in 1/72.

Also they did several different variations of the 1/350 Enterprise. Between that and the 1/48 Eagle they are not afraid of larger kits

Plus they are not beholden to the kid friendly sound and play style of many of the Revell easy style kits.

I 'm really looking forward to any new tools they come out with
They did give me, my beloved 1/350 K'T'inga, so definite Bravo Zulu to them! It just might take a decade or so.

I'd say they'll re-release the classic MPC kits in original box art with free goodies inside, cards, or mini poster etc,....this will create a buzz for collectors, then they'll announce what they've been working on, a nice big accurate X-Wing would be lovely,....relevant now because its in Mando, Rogue One & the upcoming Rogue Squadron

A nice big accurate Slave One, because its relevant now, because of Mando & Book of Boba Fett

It could be anything, but I'm really happy, these guys know what the fans want, I've had the 1/48 & 1/72 Eagles,...great kits, & know the licence couldn't be in better hands

John

Cant deny I’m a little excited.

Re-releasing old kits with updates (new pilot figures, astromechs, decals, stands) would make for lots of happy fans. The old Tyderium shuttle kit with a few minor detail upgrades and correcting fit issues from warped tools would be a winner.

New tools cost money and time and is always a risk. I’d expect a couple safe bets for starters. A 1/72 TiE Bomber would make lots of fans happy. As would a TIE Defender.

Assuming they are successful with the above, larger subjects like a new tool, larger scale Blockade runner, maybe 1/144 would be a dream come true.

NO. They still have the Japanese license. Not sure how this may affect distribution however to the US or Europe.
I hope Bandai continues. I have zero interest in repops of old and inaccurate kits. Let's see what new stuff they produce. In the best case, there might be a competition between R2 and Bandai in terms of accuracy and subjects. Let's hope for the best.

I think this is good news. Round 2 seems to listen to the fans. I'm thinking that repops with minor improvements would be the start.

TazMan2000

They funded the new Eagle toolings by releasing the old MPC Eagle kit with new decals and a few updated parts (Like the booster and lab pod variant)

So I am guessing they will do the same thing here.

Does this mean that Bandai is out? :oops:

Not necessarily. Remember BlueFin brands was still importing Bandai kits while Revell USA was still making as well as importing Revell of Germany Star Wars kits.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back