Round 2 Enterprise B build

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by SteveNeill, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Well things have slowed down for the first time in over a year here. So needing to keep the bills paid and money for the Star Trek movie I'm going to be building a series of Star Trek models to resale and or auction off.

Most of the builds will be covered on video with some pictures. As usual with all my builds I ill take you though the build step by step. The idea is to help others that my want to a temp building fully lighted and customized models from out of the box as it were.

When ever I can I'll be using after market parts, lighting, decals, and Lou's famous Aztek Dummy masks. Lou just sent me a test set for this model.

Hope you enjoy the ride!

Steve

Enterprsie B one.wmv - YouTube

2. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Re: Round 2 Enterprise be build

Steve, you've just made my day, buddy!

Can't wait to see more progress on this! your builds should be required viewing!

Rich

3. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Good luck Steve, I'll be watching this closely, I've got one of the original AMT kits that has yet to be built, so I'll enjoy watching you. Can't wait to see it finished and see what you get for it.

4. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I also recently bought this kit for a good price so I will follow this with great interest

5. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

I'll be watching this one for sure. I built my B some years ago using the reference pics of the Lakota over on SSM. Took me probably 6 months to finish it handbrushing all the azteking albeit with little to no masking. I call it azteking only loosely though as the pattern is pretty random. Mine wasn't lit though; I look forward to seeing how you handle the tight spaces inside this ugly duckling of a model.

6. MustangGTR1

MustangGTR1 Well-Known Member

I will enjoy this

7. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

ZOMBIEREPELLENT Sr Member

I can't wait to see this! Are you doing anything to the raised panel lines? I thought they were really out of scale and even before putting the aztek decals on mine, I thought it looked better completely smooth.

8. Shizman

Shizman Active Member

Sweet! I love watching your techniques and learning from them. Subscribed!

9. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Got all the windows drilled out. not so easy and hard to get even will be installing fiber optics after all just to help even them up. the problem is the size they are so tiny:

Enterprsie B Part two.wmv - YouTube

10. kahn1701

kahn1701 Active Member

Great to see you building trek again.

The reliants mine right??...LOL

11. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

And that's why I don't do windows... at least for this model.
    Too dang small! Good luck getting them all straight and even Steve.
    If anyone can do it, you can!

12. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys. And sure Paul but she ain't huge!

Steve

13. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

great video thank you, I am about to start on mine. I hadn't planned on lighting it but after seeing your video its given me the bug, something to keep me occupied whilst I take a break from the scratchbuilt Excelsior

14. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

My pleasure and you are doing a great job on that!

steve

15. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

16. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

Not gonna lie, I watched the last several minutes of a blank, black screen. Just hoping that you wold come back on and show some more. haha.

17. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Yeah I wondered what was up with the black screen too :lol

The windows are looking great, really fine work! I'd go cross eyed doing that.

18. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Running fiber to the windows is a great idea Steve. Should really help with ensuring uniformity.

Not to go OT but you mentioned in the vid that you get your fiber from The Fiber Optic Store, can you tell me what sizes you buy from them?
    I have some fiber but it's from an old fiber optic kit and it's the small diameter, thin stuff and I'd like to order some of the thicker sizes I see you using.

19. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

The Fiber Optic Store.com As for the sizes I have been using so far .50mm and .75mm.

As for the black I'm not sure what caused that.

I have since drilled out the fiber optics as I feel it would be better to use just the straight holes now that I've learned ti correct them and back light only. Those tests I did with just white paper looked good and it will save ton of time.

The other disadvantage is having to slice them off flush with the surface while not scratch the paint job. Tough one.

Steve

20. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

I was wondering how you were going yo paint the rings around the saucer with the fibers poking out. It's really looking great.

21. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Yep it's true. I wish these companies would just have the hole in the tooling. They'd sell more models.

Steve

22. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

I'd settle for just having some dimples where they go at the very least. If you look closely at mine you can see that the windows aren't placed in the exact same spots on both sides. But I can live with it I spose.

23. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Well that's just it. If you sit there and do a side by side comparison of the actual studio models next to our attempts to build plastic kits that are attempts to replica the original models we will never enjoy any plastic kit ever.

I commend anyone for going beyond the box instructions trying to make there model reflect the image and feeling of the original more accurately.

There are those that will never be happy if everything isn't exactly a match. But then again the studio models have been refitted and changed so many times. The pictures never truly reveal the true colors of the model. Only being there in person and paint matching will do.

Your model captures the feel and look quite well. Please post a link here or some pictures. You did a fine job.

Steve

24. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

25. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

When I built my B I didn't drill the windows all the way thru as I wasn't lighting it. I just wanted recesses where the windows would be. So I did a ton of shallow drilling and cleanup with the needle file to get them as uniformly shaped and the same depth as possible. Then I filled the windows with white paint tinted light blue to contrast with the mostly white hull. Then I filled the windows with Kristal Klear to simulate glass. In retrospect, it would have been less work to drill them all the way thru and light it!

26. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Steve.

Pictures! This is a B thread so post away guys and lest have fun.

Steve

27. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Well since you asked...some of the windows are visible in these pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

I had no idea you built that one. I actually used that as a reference when I was building mine. It came up in a yahoo image search. Very impressive.

29. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Fantastic! Thanks Chris!

Steve

30. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

31. Engelnicht

Engelnicht Well-Known Member

Beautiful build so far Steve! Are you going to be making this "factory new" or will there be damage to the engineering hull from the explosion in 'Generations?'

32. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks. I don't think I will but it's a thought for sure. Factory new is best for this one.

Steve

33. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

I already commented on your video, but just so it's not missed, those little dome parts are replacement phaser banks. The kit DLM sells for the amt refit also comes with them.

34. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Hey thanks. Where do they go exactly?

Steve

35. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

Anywhere that already has phaser banks. I just used a chisel blade to cut the ones off my amt refit. I'm don't think the enterprise b is missing any like the refit was. I may be wrong though.

36. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Just curious Steve have you seen the hardware references for the Lakota over on SSM?
    Lots of good pics you could use as a guide for accurizing. In particular this area inside the cutout on the underside:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  37. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Phasepistol has some great pics of the Lakota in the screen used forum too.

38. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guuys I'll take a look.

Steve

39. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

What's left to say? Love it, love the videos. Looking forward to . . . . well . . . basically I'm looking forward to about everything you do, lol.

40. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Stop it Will I'm turning red here!

Thanks buddy,

Steve

41. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Brilliant detailing Steve.

42. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Loving the videos as well! I'm dusting of my own kit to get started on this weekend as a little brake from all the work. My biggest question, is where can I nab some aztec decals? My goggling has turned up nothing.

Keep it up!

43. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Dude, not trying to step on anyones thread, or response, but I've seem your work. I'm sure beyound a shadow of a doubt that you can aztec a ship. I still remember your battle-damaged Refit.:behave

44. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

I'm using Lou's Aztek dummy masks and paint. Lou has them and he's right here somewhere aren't you Lou?

Steve

45. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Yea, but I want this to be a weekend thing. . . not a two week thing!!:lol

Got a link . .I couldn't find anything? My googlefu is weak!

46. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Do a search for Aztek Dummy on the forum and send Lou a PM. He also makes final decals and made the decals for my 66 inch TOS Enterprise kits I make.

Nice tank you are doing BTW. I should post pictures of my Russian river boat the BK 1125 completey scratch built, even the T-34 turret. Love tanks an gun boats, U-boats and more. I don't usually post that stuff here but it's on my website.

Steve

47. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Hells yes, post away.THread's getting a bit boring for me. Need a subtle shove :lol

Lou got ahold of me today, so thanks for passing the word along!!
    I'm looking forward to the next buildup!

48. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Well for starters you can go here until I get something up. Small pictures but you'll get the idea. This is an usual boat despite the fact so many were built by the Russians. Every single part was scratch built and molded. 1/35 scale and I just ran it at the lake again yesterday. A tank on the water. Enjoy!

Welcome To My Website

Steve

49. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Sa-weet! Love it!

When can we look for the next vid?

50. Aztek Dummy

Aztek Dummy Well-Known Member

steves gone quiet...he must be in aztek hell.

I can hear him cursing my name clean across the country

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.