Rouge One Thermal Detonator

Jediseth

Sr Member
I've spent the last year learning to build lightsabers and am now trying to get into building a few props here and there. I love Rouge One, in fact next to the original trilogy It's probably my favorite Star Wars movie. I did however really enjoy The Force Awakens.
So I made a thermal detonator a while back ( video demo on Youtube channel :Jediseth) and I'm looking to make one a little more accurate.
It really isn't a hard prop to make in my opinion comparatively speaking to some others. You probably do it in a day or two.

So here is my progress with this build. I wanted to show my progress, but also I have a few questions with accuracy. I've taken lots of screen shots and studied the images ,but a few things still elude me.
FonicFu.jpg

JBc8TYx.jpg

2qmskwN.jpg

t4aiYQI.jpg

2VPNHem.jpg

Here is where I'm asking for opinions. You'll notice that the back side of the prop has a cut or line going across the back section. Do you guys think a slot needs to be milled out. How thick? Perhaps it overlaps? The top edge is clear, but the bottom edge is hard to see and it's extremely hard to get a good shot of split second clip.
HYFuwGy.jpg

MwTtK6J.jpg

Any how any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post my finished product when it's finished. Most likely i will put sound in it. Which will be difficult to do and still keep it accurate to the original prop I'm sure. Especially when the back side of the detonator looks to be flat.

iGWpqWA.jpg

Not to mention after studying the images I'm pretty positive like most Star Wars props there are more than one version of the same prop. Notice the hole in the center and the lip where the pin is pulled. Plus to me the shape and taper is a little different.

bsYaypc.jpg

kqErfos.jpg

I've actually asked to get original images from a prop guy and it's virtually impossible. I was told that you have to get special permission from Lukasfilm and it's very hard. In fact even the people who are licensed have to get permission and are only given that which they are working on. At least that's what I was told. I totally understand that, but hey it was worth a try. So any input, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Today I had some time so I made the end caps. I still need to weather them and stuff, but I think it's coming along nicely.

mJUJoxP.jpg

YoQxUJG.jpg

So far so good.

It seems you have the tools/ skills to proceed.

I'd suggest that you get the framegrabs off you computer which will be much clearer than taking photos of you TV.

Well here it is completed. I may add some more layering when it comes to weathering. I also made a pin that will go into a recharge port inside the front end. I want to put sound in it next, but I need to order parts to do so.

Thanks for looking!

lzY5q0K.jpg

yhAbM5K.jpg

iuBPqmL.jpg

Well here it is completed. I may add some more layering when it comes to weathering. I also made a pin that will go into a recharge port inside the front end. I want to put sound in it next, but I need to order parts to do so.

Thanks for looking!

https://i.imgur.com/lzY5q0K.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yhAbM5K.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iuBPqmL.jpg

Hey there Jediseth, first of all I agree with you on Rogue One, in my small opinion it is one of the best Star Wars fllms. Secondly, this is beautiful work. Seriously stunning stuff. I do not currently do any metal or aluminum work, but I really wan to get into it. This is certainly encouraging. And finally, are you planning on making any more? Possibly for sale? LOL

Anyway, great job! Love the prop!

Brian

Hey there Jediseth, first of all I agree with you on Rogue One, in my small opinion it is one of the best Star Wars fllms. Secondly, this is beautiful work. Seriously stunning stuff. I do not currently do any metal or aluminum work, but I really wan to get into it. This is certainly encouraging. And finally, are you planning on making any more? Possibly for sale? LOL

Brian

Thanks man, I'm kind of burned out on making another at the moment. I'm sure I could make another if someone really wanted one.

note: I did put holes at the bottom for sound and a switch, but the bottom cap is really just solid in real prop it looks like. I was thinking of doing another cap solid so I can detach the other and use it as a display piece if i wanted. I will be getting a silver 12 mm switch so at least I get the color right.

mxfJx3g.jpg

Last edited:

Brian

I decided to make another this one is just a prop and won't have sound. Because I don't have to have sound vents it will be more accurate.
This one will probably be become available if anyone is interested.
1duGDtu.jpg

TM031VC.jpg

K791zoT.jpg

IfXuEEw.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back