ROTS Obi-wan and Anakin lightsaber Project (OWK preview on pg 11)

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

So, before I get to the punchline, I have to provide a bit of background.
As most of you know, there were multiple versions and classes of lightsaber props created for the Star Wars prequel trilogy. And in ROTS, there seems that there were a class of "hero" props that were a combination of metal and chrome plated resin.

In the Azarian collection, you can see a version of the prop where the body is machined aluminum but the bunny ears and spherical bulb release part are plated resin.
_nc_ohc=GNaKykUDTsMAX-mTULH&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=BaZoiI6hQIoAX_mgN1g&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

Like wise, with the Obi-wan saber it looks like there were some that had metal emitters, but cast and plated control boxes and pommels. (I think that's why when MR did their version of the saber, they featured a raw aluminum emitter part but a chrome plated pommel and control box--to replicate the original mixed material construction).

adjustments-jpg.jpg

Anyways. The reason why I bring all of this up is because a little bit before the release of ROTS back in 2005, I was lucky enough to acquire a few original production made lightsaber parts. I got a resin set of Anakin bunny ears, Anakin resin bunny ears, a resin OWK control box, and a resin OWK pommel. The details on these pieces are a little different from some of the replicas out there, but all original to the film production.

And I'm wondering what people think about me doing some version of an Anakin ROTS saber and OWK ROTS saber that involved first generation castings off of these original pieces, chrome plated, combined with machined aluminum replicas parts, to try and get as close as possible to the types of props used on set in the prequels.

I'd love to hear feedback. What you might be looking for. What might make sense and what might not.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So, before I get to the punchline, I have to provide a bit of background.
As most of you know, there were multiple versions and classes of lightsaber props created for the Star Wars prequel trilogy. And in ROTS, there seems that there were a class of "hero" props that were a combination of metal and chrome plated resin.

In the Azarian collection, you can see a version of the prop where the body is machined aluminum but the bunny ears and spherical bulb release part are plated resin.
View attachment 1346804
View attachment 1346805

Like wise, with the Obi-wan saber it looks like there were some that had metal emitters, but cast and plated control boxes and pommels. (I think that's why when MR did their version of the saber, they featured a raw aluminum emitter part but a chrome plated pommel and control box--to replicate the original mixed material construction).

View attachment 1346806

Anyways. The reason why I bring all of this up is because a little bit before the release of ROTS back in 2005, I was lucky enough to acquire a few original production made lightsaber parts. I got a resin set of Anakin bunny ears, Anakin resin bunny ears, a resin OWK control box, and a resin OWK pommel. The details on these pieces are a little different from some of the replicas out there, but all original to the film production.

And I'm wondering what people think about me doing some version of an Anakin ROTS saber and OWK ROTS saber that involved first generation castings off of these original pieces, chrome plated, combined with machined aluminum replicas parts, to try and get as close as possible to the types of props used on set in the prequels.

I'd love to hear feedback. What you might be looking for. What might make sense and what might not.
Sounds like an interesting idea! (Sorry I don't have much more to say. :p)

Agreed, as accurate as possible to the filming props and I’m definitely in!

Yes please!!

I've been wanting some more prop accurate PT sabers for ages made of proper mixed materials (Like your Maul!) especially with lineage. Not enough of those around these days anymore. I would be soo in for a set of these

Since there are so many different vendors right now taking a stab at a lot of the main hero hilt, I'm trying to figure out a way to maintain my little niche and offer something a little different and a little bit special. I'm not an fx guy myself, but I can see that that is the way a lot of this hobby is going. I guess I'm looking around to see, what other spaces have yet to be filled in the SW prop making community that my work could flurish in, without having to do the same thing everyone else is doing.

Sorry. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud.

Honestly, these mixed media versions sound great. It’s also an interesting look for the aluminum to contrast the chrome parts.

i have allways been intrested in the material of the ROTS ani`s graflex T-tracks. sometimes it looks black and sometimes turn to deep red or purple?hmmmm its been bothering me for a long time:oops:

How about static props! No one is really doing those. :)

I’d say the following aren’t being met:

-static
-cast from production made items
-stunt versions
-resin and metal combo prequel hilts. Like your Maul, but the other sabers, Obi-Wan, Qui-gon, Council sabers

Might be some fun projects in there.

Last edited:
I would totally be into static versions of the Prequel sabers. I would kill for an Obi episode I resin saber with the threaded rod sticking out and everything (I am probably the only one though). I think that mixed media is the way to go.

i have allways been intrested in the material of the ROTS ani`s graflex T-tracks. sometimes it looks black and sometimes turn to deep red or purple?hmmmm its been bothering me for a long time:oops:
The grips were cast in rubber and dyed black. The purple look you get is when too much black dye is used. Think like spilled black ink. It has the purple sheen

I think the purple gripped ones we've seen were used as stunts-- or, not used at all and handed off to be display tour duty.

While I dislike the PT sabers on principle, I feel like I need a skinnyflex represented in my Graflex line up. Most of the ones available are idealized, inaccurate for FX purposes, or just too much money sor a saber I am meh on.

But this approach sounds perfect and I'd jump on.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back