ROTS Obi-wan and Anakin lightsaber Project (OWK preview on pg 11)

Just occurred to me, in order to get the knurling all the way to each band, would the clamp have to be three rings? I imagine the cutter would be conical, so you couldn't get that pyramid up against the flat bands....
I have thought about this a bit as well and it's actually even weirder, if you check out this reference, on the left side, the knurling stops perfectly alined, letting me think of separated parts like you are mentioning. Now, if you look on the right side, the knurling continues and forms a round recess on each line, like it was cut with a round tool that went slightly further on the right:
img13.jpg

I have thought about this a bit as well and it's actually even weirder, if you check out this reference, on the left side, the knurling stops perfectly alined, letting me think of separated parts like you are mentioning. Now, if you look on the right side, the knurling continues and forms a round recess on each line, like it was cut with a round tool that went slightly further on the right:
View attachment 1773810
Maybe thats an artifact from the resin casting before chrome plating? Here is the metal hero, almost seems that the knurled section just extends beyond 1/2 of a pyramid on the right side
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 12.22.23 PM.png

very confusing lol

Maybe thats an artifact from the resin casting before chrome plating? Here is the metal hero, almost seems that the knurled section just extends beyond 1/2 of a pyramid on the right side
View attachment 1773811

very confusing lol

Interestingly enough, here's what it looks like on the Master Replicas which supposedly replicated that prop..

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Maybe it's my eyes playing tricks... but it does look a bit more extended on the right side. Maybe I'm just losing my mind

The metal ILM prop has 50% of a pyramid on one side and 60% on the other….. It is EXTREMELY crisp/ sharp points

The hypothesis I’d propose is they machined the pyramid knurling on a longer section, and then cut it down to size and fitting it in between the two rings for assembly of the clamp.

The parts (cast from it) would have then captured that detail in varying degrees of clarity across the rest of the metallized plastic components. As Tom suggests, the round bit ‘scalloping’ is probably a result of the casting process

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back