ROTS Obi-wan and Anakin lightsaber Project (OWK preview on pg 11)

lol the emitter has fingerprints on the plate. Also funny how they cut the threaded rod to the full length of the hilt, and not the full length minus the recessed dish in the emitter.

Dan - in your photos, do you have any that show the side/attachment of this greeblie? doesn't look like it's embedded in the material

Yes. I think that this rounding that you're seeing is the result of a thick glossy paint.
I don’t know much about sabers, but I work with a lot of high build catalyzed primers and high solid urethane clears and do know a good bit about that. It is gonna be a very hard ask to get paint to round out those surfaces. Especially so evenly. No sagging in one direction or another. No flooding in the deeper areas... That rounding is absolutely not the result of thick paint application IMO. Just my two cents.

Can’t wait to see this all come together, you always do very nice work.

You would have to smooth it so it feels good in the hand right? if you didn't I think the actors hand would get pinched on the sharp corners

Dan. Will you make the pommel aluminium like the original in the propstore photos?

The machining marks are clearly visible in the pommel. If plated non of these would have been seen. I personaly love the version shown in the propstore photos.

Alu pommel, chrome clamp and steel or alu emitter.

Grenade and booster will be made from Delrin. I talked to Brandon at Propstore and he confirmed that these parts on the original were were not metal.

Are you also planning to do a version of the Anakin ROTS saber? This thread started about that saber, but morphed to the Obi. I’m certainly not complaining, just curious.

A pic of Obi and Ani dueling sabers showed up in Facebook: Paul Wintner

1608068350721.png

"Per a conversation with Nick Gillard, the yellow blades were slightly lighter than the different variants of green and orange/red and were only used for some of the Palpatine sabers and some of the Anakin sabers. The actors and stunt performers all had weight preferences for their props and the blades and the yellow made for the fastest saber prop to handle given the lighter weight. You could get it twirling really quick. The only faster saber on set was Gillard's himself, who used a bare, uncovered, thinner blade. He used that blade with this saber to choreograph all the dueling for both Ep.2 and Ep.3 and then when he shot his cameo as Jedi Master Cin Drallig, he swapped out his silver blade for one of the orange ones so it could be animated. I'm incredibly proud to own that particular prop saber, a true one of one prop from the man himself who created the prequel era Jedi fighting style. But back on point, the yellow blades were manufactured in less amounts than the green and orange/red blades on Revenge of the Sith, but the reality is that any legit screen used blade from any of the prequels is incredibly rare to come across in private hands. Lots of saber hilts... very few legit blades. And back to yellow... while I have seen lots of them from behind the scenes production photos being made, I have only encountered 3 in private collections, this one included. The other two were paired with Palpatine sabers."

NickG Saber
NickGSaber.jpg

Are you also planning to do a version of the Anakin ROTS saber? This thread started about that saber, but morphed to the Obi. I’m certainly not complaining, just curious.
The two will be a package deal. They will be based on the specific props examined by MR, the OWK sold by Propstore and the Anakin in the Azarean collection.

The OWK will have castings from a Production made pommel and control box and the Anakin will have cast bunny ears and emitter ring derived from production castings.

The two will be a package deal. They will be based on the specific props examined by MR, the OWK sold by Propstore and the Anakin in the Azarean collection.

The OWK will have castings from a Production made pommel and control box and the Anakin will have cast bunny ears and emitter ring derived from production castings.

Awesome!

I find myself coming back to the Obi’s neck color, though. Looking at the ROTS promo photos (which were from a special photo shoot ostensibly taken on or around the first day of principal photography), the belt-hanger has the well- known brass/gold and copper neck, and the bladed semi-hero “stunt” (as alluded to in the ROTS DVD documentary, there were bladed props specifically designed to still look good and detailed for photos, rather than the simplified stunts used in actual duel filming) with the brownish neck was used for the “saber activated and in-hand” publicity photos.

And then we have the various turnaround photos seen in the Visual Dictionary and elsewhere, with the brownish neck, which makes me wonder if one of these hero-ish “stunts” ended up getting photographed for reference because the usual belt-hanger was unavailable. Or, maybe it was because there was some kind of change at the last minute to give the main hero-style neck a gold/brass/AFBB color, but one with the earlier color scheme was photographed. After all, it seems like both the VD/PropStore hero and most of the stunts have the darker coloring, which more closely resembles the (heavily weathered and tarnished) ANH prop. And yet the publicity belt-hanger and onscreen hero shots seem have have the cleaner and brighter brass/gold look. And the hero sitting with the other heroes in the foam-lined presentation box (also seen in the ROTS DVD documentary) has the lighter gold neck. Hmm.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back