ROTS lightsaber Cast from Original Parts Project discussion (New Big Update on Page 7)

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Got any updates on these guys Anakin Starkiller ???
I don’t want to speak for him, but last we talked this is still moving forward. He’s got a lot in the works, and wicked busy

but I’ve seen the finished pieces… WOW!!!

You all are going to see soon that atstarsend has taken his company to the next level

just wait until he reveals these warlocks! ;)

Gregatron

Master Member
I find it interesting that, even after all this time, we still don’t have a great grasp on the various prequel-era hero props—what was screenused, what was photographed for reference (and licensed products like the Visual Dictionaries), etc.

I would presume that the screenused belt-hangers were mostly chromed resin (for the actors’ comfort), but then there are these mixed media/polished aluminum hilts which keep popping up. Were these built for hero close-ups, but not as belt-hangers? Built specifically for licensing and reference photos?

On the one hand, the prequel sabers were largely free of the restrictions which plagued the OT sabers—they could be designed and machined/cast from scratch, without having to scavenge real-world flashguns and the like as a cost-saving measure. Continuity and purist notions aside, the Anakin and Obi-Wan ROTS sabers are both gorgeous props, and represent the sort of slick, idealized, free-from-constraints design philosophy which the OT sabers might have had with the proper money and materials. That being said, the found-parts aesthetic of the OT is a huge part of its visual appeal. Nothing beats a Graflex!

On the other hand, because SO many prequel props were made from SO many materials, it becomes much harder to pin down which props were used when, as opposed to the limited number of OT hero and stunt sabers.

Last edited:

janglesworthy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It can become an insanity. At certain point you have to start calling them out by frame number per movie. I would find it freeing you can make them out of any material you want as long as the measurements and shapes match 1 version of movie sabers.

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The more I find out some were made from multiple parts and materials, the more I like them. I guess it suggests the built parts theme from the OT a little - as opposed to one solid sculpt

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Do you offer a set Anakin and Obi Wan saber together?
That is the plan.

Personally, for AOTC and ROTS, I gave up on collecting "the" hero and just choose to go with a version I like, which captures the style and feel of that movie. For ROTS, they made a ton of sabers and mixed and matched metal and resin. So for my collection, what I'm after is a saber that captures the look and feel of that mixed media approach to equipping the actors, which was characteristic of ROTS

Last edited:

Kroenen77

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That is the plan.

Personally, for AOTC and ROTS, I gave up on collecting "the" hero and just choose to go with a version I like, which captures the style and feel of that movie. For ROTS, they made a ton of sabers and mixed and matched metal and resin. So for my collection, what I'm after is a saber that captures the look and feel of that mixed media approach to equipping the actors, which was characteristic of ROTS
Sounds great.It would be nice to have a display with both sabers from the endfight between Obi Wan and Anakin(Vader).

MasterHurd

How's this project looking in 2022? If it's still on I'll start liquidating my collection now to be sure I'm ready to hop in when it's announced! XD 100% count me in for the pair! Do you have a website? How will you be selling them?

Eruonen

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
4094D0EF-3B1D-4622-A4E2-1D1CD585DB57.gif

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Triin

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Man I am REALLY excited for your collaboration with Dan. I know this isn’t the place and I’m not allowed to say this here but sign me up for one! :lol::p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.