ROTS Obi-wan and Anakin lightsaber Project (OWK preview on pg 11)

To my eyes:

Emitter: definitely machined aluminum

Neck: looks more like weathered copper, but could be painted resin

Grenade: lines look clean enough to be machined aluminum, but given this parts complexity, I would guess the prop department would only make one metal master and then resin cast it. Based on the statistics of this, I’m guessing resin. Possibly machined delrin?

Clamp: plated resin

Booster: See grenade

Pommel: definitely machined aluminum

To my eyes:

Emitter: definitely machined aluminum

Neck: looks more like weathered copper, but could be painted resin

Grenade: lines look clean enough to be machined aluminum, but given this parts complexity, I would guess the prop department would only make one metal master and then resin cast it. Based on the statistics of this, I’m guessing resin. Possibly machined delrin?

Clamp: plated resin

Booster: See grenade

Pommel: definitely machined aluminum
This is what I'm thinking so far. I think the neck is painted resin with threaded rod core

I see a splatter paint pattern on the windvane, and a ding in the upper edge, suggesting its soft. Also the upper neck looks like black resin , with the dark brown painted over it, and then the brass/copper splatter over the brown.
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 1.53.48 PM.png

The grenade is shiny and dark, I want to say dense material and thats a +1 from me for Derlin or a really good cast.

and I think I see striations on the foot of the grenade, maybe from the original machined piece
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 1.55.42 PM.png

In some plating processes, a layer of copper plating is the first step before further nickel and chrome plating layers. At least, that's how it works on things like zamak castings. Not sure if it's required on resin plating as well, but I believe so. That scratch could simply have exposed that layer of copper plating.

We can definitely tell which orientation they cast the neck, there are tons of little bubbles on the top.

I also find it interesting the threaded rod pokes out

I don't think the clamp is metal. In the plating process, to apply chrome to resin, you need to lay down a metallic base layer to plate on the plastic. That's what I think we're seeing. There are similar marks on the Anakin ROTS resin saber that they auctioned off last year
I could be wrong though ;)

You might be correct, Chris. I'm thinking that if the scratch had been in a plated resin product, it might not show the staggering in the scratch we see here. It would probably be a smoother scratch because the resin would not have resisted the harder object the way that a plated metal product might. Just speculating here....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back