ROTJ Vader MoM / DV6 style vintage Double Ball Latch FOUND inside MPP Case

The Ninja

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I won a vintage R.A.F. MPP Micro Technical S92 Ground Camera Kit + MPP Microflash + Timber Transport Case 14A/4662 at auction late last year, I finally received the package in early February during my inspection of the MPP Micro Technical S92 Ground Camera Kit + MPP Microflash & Timber Transport Case I discovered that the internal Lid Divider had the same locking latch used on the ROTJ Vader MoM / DV6 saber.

I am not sure if this has been posted before but its a cool discovery on vintage MPP equipment.

EDIT:

If there is any confusion, please allow me to clarify, the intention of my post was to show that I had found a similar style of vintage Double Ball Latch used on the ROTJ Vader MoM / DV6 build inside the Lid of my R.A.F. MPP Micro Technical S92 Ground Camera Kit Timber Transport Case 14A/4662.

I was not suggesting that I had identified the part nor that the Latch I found was the actual Latch used by the Prop Department on the build.

I only wanted to share that I had found a vintage Latch inside a vintage MPP Transport Case.

6cut.jpg

2.jpg 6.jpg 6cut.jpg

dvjsab1.JPG

dvjsab2.jpg

Photo PofSW

rarely-seen-side.jpg

Photo DARTH SABER
Definitive VADER ROTJ Saber Reference PIC thread

More details on the Vader ROTJ saber - Please archive

Last edited:
It's not an MPP-specific part. It's a double ball catch/latch that is used to keep cabinet doors, drawers, box lids etc. closed. That specific type is a vintage one that was made of stamped metal sheet (probably brass) which used to be very commonly found on furniture, kitchen cabinets and in hardware stores here in the UK at one time until at least the 80s. The modern versions ones are of solid cast zinc or brass construction and don't look the same.

great find! not something I will ever get sadly but it's really interesting and it gives credit to the far fetched impothesis that the D rings on the graflex could have come from a graflex box as well. thanks for sharing (y)

now can I get one if I pay shipping costs? :D

It's not an MPP-specific part. It's a double ball catch/latch that is used to keep cabinet doors, drawers, box lids etc. closed. That specific type is a vintage one that was made of stamped metal sheet (probably brass) which used to be very commonly found on furniture, kitchen cabinets and in hardware stores here in the UK at one time until at least the 80s. The modern versions ones are of solid cast zinc or brass construction and don't look the same.

This is what we've always said, but he's showing us the exact find.

Probably.

But nonetheless the above poster is right, it was everyday stuff from many parts/ uses.
It could be found on many lids and doors at that time. And bought in shops like the today version now.

This is what we've always said, but he's showing us the exact find.

Probably.

But nonetheless the above poster is right, it was everyday stuff from many parts/ uses.
It could be found on many lids and doors at that time. And bought in shops like the today version now.

If there is any confusion, please allow me to clarify, as SethS posted the intention of my post was to show that I had found the well-known & documented style of vintage Double Ball Latch used on the ROTJ Vader MoM / DV6 build inside the Lid of my R.A.F. MPP Micro Technical S92 Ground Camera Kit Timber Transport Case 14A/4662.

I was not suggesting that I had identified the part nor that the Latch I found was the actual Latch used by the Prop Department on the build.

I only wanted to share that I had found a vintage Latch inside a vintage MPP Transport Case.

If there is any confusion, please allow me to clarify, as SethS posted the intention of my post was to show that I had found the well-known & documented style of vintage Double Ball Latch used on the ROTJ Vader MoM / DV6 build inside the Lid of my R.A.F. MPP Micro Technical S92 Ground Camera Kit Timber Transport Case 14A/4662.

While, like t-track, the design is one with many uses and variances, I don't think any has ever been found to be an exact match to the one on the prop-- and the fact you found it on an MPP case tells me this is probably an exact match-- in which case, this is a huge discovery. Measurements will need to verify that of course.

Last edited:
While, like t-track, the design is one with many uses and variances, I don't think any has ever been found to be an exact match to the one on the prop-- and the fact you founded it off an MPP case tells me this is probably an exact match-- in which case, this is a huge discovery. Measurements will need to verify that of course.

Thanks SethS I will remove the Latch and work on the measurements.

ROTJ Vader MoM / DV6 Latch Comparison

Firstly I am NO expert so please take these measurements as a guide with +/- margin.

The comparison is in /mm between left to right;

Latch received from kurtyboy

Latch removed from my S92 Case (Latch had minor corrosion it was sprayed with WD-40 and came up very clean)

Latch removed from my Police MOD S92 Case (Latch was rusted & not working it was sprayed with WD-40 surface rust remained the balls working)

There are differences between all of them in construction and size & shape of components.

1.jpg

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

ROTJ Vader MoM DV6 Latch Details.jpg

ROTJ Vader MoM DV6 Latch Details.jpg

ROTJ Vader MoM Saber Threads:
Definitive VADER ROTJ Saber Reference PIC thread
More details on the Vader ROTJ saber - Please archive

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back