Interest ROTJ STUNT R2 Lightsaber.....yeah that one.

ecl

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looks great, was it easy enough to drill for the ring? Also could you share the recipe for your colour choice?
Thanks
Drilling was actually easier than I thought it would be. I started with a smaller drill bit first. Even though it’s hard to get the drill bit to angle completely level with the part, it was close enough for the ring to fit in right. The metal rod I had around here was 3/32“ in diameter; not sure what the original is, but it’s as close as I can get for now.

Paint wise, I had to use what I happened to have on hand: Duplicolor ‘Silver Met’ for the base coat. I‘ve used this stuff on Trek props and the paint always goes one real nice. This silver also has a decent metallic shine to it. For the hand painted details, I just used various acrylic Vallejo paints that I’ve used on my studio scale models. Black, Gold, and Dark Blue (mixed with some black) for the stripe detailing on the box. I then lightly weathered parts of the saber using the acrylics, but thinned down heavily with glaze medium. After the gold parts were done, I tinted it slightly with a glaze medium mixed with a touch of Light Rust color to slightly darken the gold a bit more as well.
 
Last edited:

Raiders March

Well-Known Member
Drilling was actually easier than I thought it would be. I started with a smaller drill bit first. Even though it’s hard to get the drill bit to angle completely level with the part, it was close enough for the ring to fit in right. The metal rod I had around here was 3/32“ in diameter; not sure what the original is, but it’s as close as I can get for now.

Paint wise, I had to use what I happened to have on hand: Duplicolor ‘Silver Met’ for the base coat. I‘ve used this stuff on Trek props and the paint always goes one real nice. This silver also has a decent metallic shine to it. For the hand painted details, I just used various acrylic Vallejo paints that I’ve used on my studio scale models. Black, Gold, and Dark Blue (mixed with some black) for the stripe detailing on the box. I then lightly weathered parts of the saber using the acrylics, but thinned down heavily with glaze medium. After the gold parts were done, I tinted it slightly with a glaze medium mixed with a touch of Light Rust color to slightly darken the gold a bit more as well.
Thanks for the detailed info! It did the job well. I see the gold parts painted with copper paint sometimes and it looks abit funny. Yours looks closer than them.
Also good to note that the resin drills well, i would of started with a fine drill bit like you did
 
Top