ROTJ Stormtrooper bubble lens attachment help?

Wolfsburg

Master Member
A few years ago I bought a lovely CFO ROTJ helmet but unfortunately both bubble lenses popped out during shipping. At the time I asked how to reattach them and was simply told to just hotglue them back in. Not a big deal, I thought, but I never bothered with it until now. Well, I've tried hotglue and E6000 and both absolutely do not work, at least for me, and I have done nothing but make a big mess. The lenses that come with the helmet are so warped, I'm not seeing where they could possible get any sort of adequate contact to be securely attached to the helmet.

As far as I know, the original ROTJ helmets had the lenses glued in and I would prefer to stay true to that but I'm just not seeing how this is possible. Before I further risk ruining a nice helmet and its lenses, I have to ask how are people doing this? What am I missing here? Any tips or tricks? Feeling pretty frustrated and annoyed right now.

I have used hot glue on mine. E6000 cure time is too long, and it is self leveling.....so it will run like crazy. Easier to glue
w faceplate removed. Put lens in place then lots of hot glue on bottom two edges....you may have to use a few light passes w the hot glue so it does not melt the faceplate.

Heat the lenses with hot air or water and set them in the helmet to reform their shape to the helmet. That will give you contact area.

Thanks gents! I could see it being much easier to do with the faceplate removed but I really hoped to avoid having to disassemble the helmet to do something as seemingly simple as this. Maybe I'll have to. With the gluegun, I was having difficulty getting the glue where I wanted it because I was trying to glue with the lens in place (vs. gluing the lens separately or gluing the "eyesocket" of the helmet and just hope something sticks when I place the lens.). I definitely don't want glue visible from the outside.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back