ROTJ Sila Kott's A-Wing Fighter pilot helmet

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Been working on this one for a few weeks now and am finally at a stage that I reckon it's finished. Not an easy one to do because the number of publicly available photos of this particular helmet are extremely limited (I have included ALL publically available reference images that exist of the actual helmet in my photos). A HUGE thanks to Frank (YWingFighter) and Scott (Skaught) for their help either with sending me greeblies, providing descriptions of the actual helmet or answering a ton of detailed questions.

This was a styrene kit produced by Frank, which I have finished in the style of Sila Kott.

It's not 100% accurate - as I said, available reference images are not good enough, but I've done my best to match what I at least think I can see. Plus I made a mistake and cut away too much of the top back section of the helmet, so there wasn't enough for the top back greeblie to sit on - so I had to leave that off and instead extend the brown leather padding/lining around the top back of the helmet (which isn't accurate). Still I'm happy that this is finally done, and can go in the display cabinet with my other helmets. :)

A-Wing Pilot Helmet (1).JPGA-Wing Pilot Helmet (2).JPGA-Wing Pilot Helmet (3).JPGA-Wing Pilot Helmet (4).JPGA-Wing Pilot Helmet (5).JPG

When actually worn with the AN-H-15 flight cap, the helmet sits a little too high. In the movie they must have either removed the AN-H-15's solid black rubber ear "doughnuts" or else replaced them with something softer to allow the helmet to sit lower.

A-Wing Pilot Helmet 6.JPGA-Wing Pilot Helmet 7.JPG

Last edited:
That is great work! Very well done.
I've been thinking about getting one of Frank's kits, but I have an X-wing helmet to finish first.

Gah! Now you tell me Frank! I tried EVERYTHING to get the cheek pieces to curve in more, because that was the one thing that really bugged me, but I couldn't get 'em to shift any more. Oh well....

BlueLeader, the microphone base is the correct Yamaha model kit part that was used on the original - I got a cast of it from Frank.

Gah! Now you tell me Frank! I tried EVERYTHING to get the cheek pieces to curve in more, because that was the one thing that really bugged me, but I couldn't get 'em to shift any more. Oh well....

Sorry Mark, had made the molds before I became the pictures of the original helmet in my hands!

Bah, you have a new mold now, Ywingfighterfrank? Drat. Well, I still haven't even cut out the kit I got from you yet... Hmm...

Yep, I reworked the old molds in diameter . You now, I am working on B-Wing Visor mold for your helmets and its like the same like the A-Wing Helmet blast shield. But this is smaller than my first and so I reworked the other 2 molds to that will works with the new Blastshield. Other problem are some people cut to many plastic from the back. Its very hard to build this helmet so I made Building Instruction to. Nobody is perfect, so it was my first own vafoamed helmet and I must/ have learn a lot. How many B-Wing Chestboxes are you made before you are happy with it?

Yep, I reworked the old molds in diameter . You now, I am working on B-Wing Visor mold for your helmets and its like the same like the A-Wing Helmet blast shield. But this is smaller than my first and so I reworked the other 2 molds to that will works with the new Blastshield. Other problem are some people cut to many plastic from the back. Its very hard to build this helmet so I made Building Instruction to. Nobody is perfect, so it was my first own vafoamed helmet and I must/ have learn a lot. How many B-Wing Chestboxes are you made before you are happy with it?
Heh, I wasn't saying anything negative about it.

Awesome job ! this is really well made, you pay attention to details and I prefer this new dome version from ywingfighter who did an excellent job with this kit !

I wish I could have a such helmet in my collection

Last edited:
That dome curve is a real pain, in our helmet we make tree, until the final one:facepalm for reference Hass Dardo use my "little" forehead as reference

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back