16326723969852613659653840645029.jpg

Okay folks, after 3 trial units of this onyx resin:

14 good scope bells
3 scope bells with bubbles around 1/4" around the rim
4 complete rejects

almost 50 knobs

30 Caps

Enough screws to go around, I just have to carve more. I have 24 right now

The ends of the resin tend to give me more bubbles, though I've gotten to a point that 2/3 are successes!

Some brass bits are SUPPOSED to come tomorrow, (well... they might be plated steel, I didn't get a straight answer on that) and some actual brass bits are in limbo from china. No communication, but generally its accepted to trust they'll get things out, and thats a week out until they ship). My bits/drill press were not up to the task and my craftsman dremel burned out last week. Amazon also lost my resin last week, so that's why there has been a delay, lots of things went wrong, it was a rough time.

When I get brass pieces to my liking, I'm going to take all the scope bells, score the mid-line, and drill the two holes for each... and then install the rivet in the cap/scope bell. For those that just wanted a scope cap, all you're waiting for is the brass. I'll cut more screws because the knob/brass/screw is also a really unique part people might want. Whether or not I buy more resin waits to be seen

Have no fear! One of my favorite tools was my single speed craftsman rotary I got at an estate sale and it bit the dust. It's how I start the screws among other things. They still make that type of tool. This was 34 bucks. I dont need multiple speeds with the way I do things
20211001_174916.jpg

SO my first attempt at sourcing brass bushings was a bust. 2 mm too big and the wrong countersink.

My second order is on the way, 12x3xM5 and my prototype is 12 x 4 so I have more faith in this..

Both sets of washers are on their way to USPS but I literally have no tracking info and am not thrilled about how long this is taking. I also understand that during the pandemic shipping lines overseas are in complete chaos. Watched the national nightly news yesterday and there aren't enough truck drivers to unload shipping crates, so a lot of products are moored at the docks and have been for a while.

Thanks for your patience everyone. As a kindness, I went ahead and put some black Milliput in the little bubbles. Just used a metal file on them today so they are much less noticeable. You've still got to sand it and paint it like always, but I even got some of the scopes that were NOT salvageable into good shape too, at least they can be sanded and painted as one unit, maybe without some detail. The main set I have for y'all aren't these though, they were extra failed attempts

I need more nuts and there are like 20 more un-cut scope knob casts in my basement :) little update
16343513456286914469418729027846.jpg

I have a small amount (20) out for delivery today! So excited, I really hope they're the right size.

Another shipment (30 I think) just left overseas, of course. I'll update later today. If these are right, I can start taking orders

They are very well done - precisely the right size, but 3 instead of 4mm thick, so their profile is a little thinner than I expected, but they look wonderful.

I drilled all the holes necessary today, but need to get a bit more material out of the lower hole for the tip screw to freely pass. Once I do that, pop pop pop!

I'm on my fifth shipping box and wanted to send out a reminder. I realized this might not be obvious right out of the box.

Your scope ring is supposed to hang off the back of the section for the scope ring, covering a bit of the scope bell. that's why the caps are affixed a little further back.

If the caps were precisely lined up with the end of the "cap" flange, you get this solid wall of material, not the overhang look of the original prop. Same goes for the scope ring. We all had trouble identifying the scope because the scope ring sits further back and chokes the scope bell a little bit. I duplicated this on my scopes!

I have two slots opening up in this run
I want to add, with all the photographs and descriptions up there - make sure you read everything before purchasing, and ask me any questions you need. Thanks

Also, waiting on payment from a couple folks, I'll send another message to you guys later today

Last edited:
Please see first post. I’m making more, this time I’ve been finishing them, parts are always available but I’ve added extra steps.

Unfortunately I ran out of my leftover good casts (I have a few **** casts) so I have to re mold the scope. Silicone and resin incoming… please let me know if you missed out and would like some.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back