ROTJ Luke (Rylo) Activation Plate

alessandra

Hi, I have an ROTJ Rylo that I purchased from a member of this forum some time ago, and I'm pretty happy with it, but one thing that's bothered me since I got it was that the activation plate has thumbprints all over it. The thumbprints are more obvious in-person.

I was hoping someone could help me identify the maker of this thumbplate, and perhaps where I might find a replacement. I only need the card that goes into the copper holder, not the copper holder itself, though I'd be willing to purchase them together if necessary.

I don't think that they're PastorJedi greeblies, but I'm not sure. I like how flat/flush the plate looks when installed in the copper holder, without the raised edges that I sometimes see.

Here's some photos:

ROTJ_Strip_3.jpg

ROTJ_Strip_1.jpg

ROTJ_Strip_4.jpg

Thanks!

Those sabers were offered as blanks (kits) years ago. I didn't include the plate or misc greeblies. The plates were offered by a couple different people; perhaps they'll chine in.

Have you tried metal polish on your plate? Brasso? You might try polishing it up and slap a clear coat of krylon acrylic on it.

Good luck!

-Rylo

Thanks Rylo - I love the saber BTW!

I tried just rubbing it a bit with my finger to see if it was oil, but it seemed to chip one of the green bars, so I stopped. I later tried with a bit more accuracy to clean just the copper colored stuff, but that seemed to strip off to reveal green, so I was very confused.

I don't need this exact activation plate set, but what I'd ideally want is something that has that lower profile on the copper holder, and a plate that's matte and matches the copper color perfectly, like this one.

Thank you.

No idea what's going on with the strip you have or how it was made. I'll look through my notes and see if I can dig up who made that particular piece.

I remember it seemed a really nice fit and I always liked the profile when it's seated on the lid, too.

-Rylo

Thanks Rylo - I love the saber BTW!

I tried just rubbing it a bit with my finger to see if it was oil, but it seemed to chip one of the green bars, so I stopped. I later tried with a bit more accuracy to clean just the copper colored stuff, but that seemed to strip off to reveal green, so I was very confused.

That would be fantastic, thank you! I looked at it a bit more and I think it's a solid plate of copper with green painted lines on it, so technically I could clean off the copper, but the green paint seems pretty fragile at this point.

No problem. Let me do some digging. The guy's name is on the tip of my tongue. I'm sure the good pastor would know who made it.

-Rylo

You could try lightly rubbing the gold-colored stripes with a pencil eraser.

That's a trick that works wonders on the circuit card edges of computer components. *shrugs*

Worse comes to worse, I can polish the whole thing off, try to find an appropriate green paint, lay down some tape strips and repaint it. But I'd almost prefer to just spend $10 or so and get a new one, if possible.

Nexus6,

I tried the eraser thing and it did seem to help reduce the appearance of thumbprints. The copper is still kind of tarnished in the shape of a thumb, so I'm still interested in getting a fresh one, but thanks for the tip!

Is it JD Pilot's activation box detail kit?

Reading through the post, I was just going to reply that JD Pilot comes to mind, because that's what I was told is on my Rylo when I bought it. It does look similar.

My plate looks okay, but I can see one or two finger print lines on the side of the copper holder. It doesn't bother me so much.

I sent him a message to see if he's still around and maybe has an extra hanging around, or if he wouldn't mind pointing me towards the right paint to use to redo it.

These can easily be made with a strip of craft metal or painted styrene and some auto pin striping or something similar cut to size.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back