ROTJ E-11 Scope

Saifai

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Could it be something like that which was cut down?

i don’t think that this one is the correct one but it’s close.

F68299A1-67FA-4C45-A5DF-0462EF7CFF78.jpeg
143E30DF-0CF8-49B3-80BF-F89A7E3DACB6.jpeg

Hello,
so, to my opinion, this is not the case, this scope they did for the E11 in ROTJ is the prop makers take on reproducing a M19 tank scope from scratch.

The to best refs I have to show that are those:
post-9972-1254526559.jpg

jan-14-feb-14-090.jpg

The back part is very clearly the bell from a scope cut down, from which scope, I don't know. I think thd9791 has come close to find a good scope in the wild with close dimenssions but there is no definitive model for this scope bell yet.
the front part, to me is a just a basic thin metal cap from a perfume bottle, or water bottle or i don't know what, I'm hoping to find one one day, They just riveted it on the cut scope. No on is offering a replica that comes close to this, they always machine the cap from aluminium when the real one is really thin.
and the front part is a mix of two parts, one the adjustment bell of a vintage scope, exactly the same as found on the Boba feet scope and the very front part, I don't know, probbaly a small found part too.

I'm absolutelly sure the whole scope is not from one real scope. it's a mix of at least 4 parts and a rivet.

cheers

On MOST of the ROTJ fabricated scopes the rear is machined from Derlin. Not a real scope. Notice the flat "lens" inside and the lack of a retaining ring seam line on the outside. I have a feeling that 1 maybe 2 of the DL44 scopes include a real rear scope bell, it would be a x28 magnification scope with the body of a 4x20. I have a Chinese modern 3x9x28 scope that I used for my build.

The front is an injection molded plastic cap I think. The DL44 that came to auction recently showed that the scope bell melted when the rivet was drilled out or something. There are seam lines around the edge and straight down the front of the cap, just like plumbing fittings. Whatever it was used for, it seems to be a cap or fitting.

interesting note on the scope knob. The beveled area goes up into the hand-made tip, so your scope knob has to be taller than the Fett scope

thanks for the additional information :)
Do you have a picture to show what you mean for the scope knob going into the tip?
I'm really really pretty sure about what I'm guessing for the fett scope bell. it really makes sense to me they used that and from what I measured on a lot of pictures, it really matches.
for me, they just glued the tip part onto the flat end of the scope bell.
No one else before assumed they used this part?

Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Orig...jpg

What's the diameter of the knob? This tip is tiny.

Also, the visible bevelled area on the scope tip is literally taller than the fett scope knobs, should they be the same size. and if you zoom in the tip of the tip (phrasing, sorry) doesn't just sit on the knurled bit, I think Field Marshall did pretty well guestimating how it went together.

I'll have to go through my drives for the recent auction photos. The broken scope led to some clues. I'll report back

ok. I'm still not getting what you mean ;)
I can do all sort of measurements on my scope bell tomorrow if needed. Compared with the pictures I have in photoshop, the proportions are perfect. I would be curious to compare it to a Field Marshall replica to see if he did the same exact size.
Now, I also have the pictures from the borken scope auction and don't see anything very interesting. There is this quite clear picture that conforts me in my opinion:
Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Orig...jpg

something really interesting is what is going on here:

you can clearly see a lip, the knurling on the scope bell is positive, not negative, this gives that exact same lip we see.
I'll try to take pictures maybe tomorrow in similar positions that the photo so you guys can compare it. I'm really 100% sure this is the same part and I'm surprised that this is not something that's already known/accepted.
cheers :)

edit: I don't know though if the pictures of the broken scope from the recent auction are those though. Maybe those are pictures that I don't know about.

20200404_211216.jpg
20200404_211259.jpg

"interesting note on the scope knob. The beveled area goes up into the hand-made tip, so your scope knob has to be taller than the Fett scope"

The tip of the scope...it has a post/stem/rod which runs into the knurled piece.

Holy crap, that's so cool.

So, does anyone know the diameter of a scope knob on the fett scope? This knurled thing is comparable in diameter to a large baby carrot. This seems like a case of an item that looks identical but is a completely different size

Edit: I hate that people keep rotating that busted scope. In the auction pictures the melted area is on the side, now it's on the bottom here. Can't be good for preservation..*sigh*

Oh, cool! I didn't know those pictures.
Well, it's not changing my mind :)
they didn't glue the tip on the scope bell, they made a hole and screwed the tip on the bell.

How much should that part be in diameter? in photoshop I estimated 15mm If I recall correctly and it was a perfect match for my fett scope bell

There used to be an older method of attachment for the scope tip parts, I can't remember it was so long ago and that's what I had in mind. I was wrong about that - FM does this exact thing with his scope tip. It's not a threaded screw, but a smooth post that slides into the knurled cap and is glued.

I'm used to seeing weaver style knobs that are much bigger. My FM knurled part is 14.5 mm wide. Are 4x20 scope knobs really that small?!

kurtyboy any input?

yeah 14.5mm seems spot on ;)
I'll measure and take good pictures tomorrow, but I already did all that work before and was pretty sure of my dimenssions.
I'm sure someone will pass by eventually and say, "guys, this is known for 40 years, what are you guys debating about" :)

I'll be awaiting your results tomorrow, honestly just a picture would help me sort this out for myself.

those knobs are smaller than I was expecting. Thanks to Chris Trevas for the photo
FettASIScope.jpg

Hi there,
so, here are a few quick pics from this morning.

so, those are, according to me, three of the found parts for the ROTJ E11 blaster. I used a tape roll of 35mm diameter, which is what I estimated the front part of the scope measured for a quick mockup.
DSC_0350.JPG

DSC_0356.JPG

and here it is compared to a Weaver bell Tom. I hope this helps
DSC_0354.JPG

So, the 4x20 scope bell is closer to 15mm than 14.5mm in diameter and is approximatively 9.2mm in height.

this is what I was saying with "a basic thin metal cap from a perfume bottle, or water bottle or i don't know what" as oposed to what we usually see on the replica market with machined solid aluminium front parts.

***** ******, I think you're right. I'm convinced. You're right, this is not popular/well known information and it's why I was hesitant. Do you see this scope cap pattern on all of those japanese 4x20 scopes?

Cool! (y)
I think they are on a lot of scopes. But I think I saw slightly different ones too. I'll go take a pic at my workshop again, I think I have different kinds coming from a Nikko Stirling or something like that, like, without a bevel for instance.
But yeah, they are pretty easy to source :)
I'm more annoyed by the basic plastic/metal cap of 35mm actually... And that scope bell of the right dimenssion, I really don't have enough money to buy several ones until I find the good one sadly.

voila, here a couple pics of 4 different brands 4x20 scopes. those that I have, only the star wars accurate scope has the correct bells. It works for me as I have the Webley for my boba fett blaster and the ASI is for my Alien sidearm and the bell are removed for that scope, lucky!

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back