GCLAMBERT89

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been slowly working on my real life MGC E-11 prop, but I also wanted to have the ability to make an accurate 3d printed copy of the gun as well. Here is my attempt at crafting a 3d model of the ROTJ E-11 for the purpose of 3D printing in SLA. I carefully measured every facet of the original base gun, and finished it off by applying my e-11 greebles on top. I also did a 3d scan of the plastic handle grip, but I am still working on making it a bit better. I still have quite a bit more work to do on it, mostly just small details and corrections. The scope ring is still a work-in-progress. I still have the gun hammers to work on, and I have a few tweaks to make to the firing block greeble. I already have 75 percent of the model printed out in tough SLA resin, which should arrive next week. I will be having a few more parts printed out shortly. :cool:
MGC CLAY RENDER 1.jpg
MGC CLAY RENDER 2.jpg
MGC CLAY RENDER 3.jpg
MGC WIRE 3.jpg
MGC CLAY RENDER 4.jpg

ROTJ E-11 WIP 5.jpg
ROTJ E-11 WIP 4.jpg

Looks great so far. Clean model and those prints came out nice. Excited to see how it turns out.
Thank you! The 3d model is heavily tessellated, I plan to clean it up in a few areas so that it isn't so heavy. I will keep you all updated once I receive the prints. Hopefully they arrive and good shape.
That's looking amazing. The 3D model is crisp and clean.
Thank you! The biggest challenge was modelling it to look like bent/formed metal. The way the metal creases in and bends in corners was challenging to model.

Thank you! The biggest challenge was modelling it to look like bent/formed metal. The way the metal creases in and bends in corners was challenging to model.
That does sound like quite the challenge. Kudos to you for taking it that far, cause that's definitely further than I took my last E-11 model, and that extra detail really does help it appear more genuine than a standard 3d print.

That does sound like quite the challenge. Kudos to you for taking it that far, cause that's definitely further than I took my last E-11 model, and that extra detail really does help it appear more genuine than a standard 3d print.
Thank you. I hope those details translate over to the print. My main concern is durability. I want this to be more than just a display piece. I am having it printed in an “industrial” tough SLA material that has machinable properties, so hopefully it will be strong. I plan to do a few drop tests once I assemble the entire thing.

Thank you. I hope those details translate over to the print. My main concern is durability. I want this to be more than just a display piece. I am having it printed in an “industrial” tough SLA material that has machinable properties, so hopefully it will be strong. I plan to do a few drop tests once I assemble the entire thing.
Neat. If you don't mind filming the drop tests, I for one would love to see the results, though it would be sad to see something bad happen to it. Maybe it will just add some authentic battle damage.

Neat. If you don't mind filming the drop tests, I for one would love to see the results, though it would be sad to see something bad happen to it. Maybe it will just add some authentic battle damage.
I was thinking the same thing . I would just laugh. Even the resin ESB and special edition blasters had some damage to them. I’ll certainly film some drop test. I won’t feel to bad since the next print will end up looking better in certain areas.

Haha, I guess it never hurts to have more than one blaster handy.

Excited to see both of these projects now. The Tie Phantom was a favorite growing up.
I was first introduced to Star Wars through Rebel Assault II when I was 9 years old, so the Tie Phantom has always been my favorite. I look forward to sharing that project very soon. I hope to produce a limited run of kits if there is enough interest.

I did this little comparison render just for fun, matching Brandon Alinger's ROTJ E-11 prop.
Brandon's ROTJ E11 prop
BRANDON A ROTJ E11.jpg

My 3d rendering
ROTJ E-11 WIP 9.jpg

I am going to go over a few things just get it a bit closer but I think the model is pretty much spot on. Just tiny detail that I am going to correct. Other than that, I am very happy with it :cool:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back