Rotating Range Finder Question

Bluejeanjedi

I'm working on my first Mandalorian helmet (Sabine from Star Wars Rebels). Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple (mechanically speaking) way to mount the range finder so it can rotate up and down? Maybe a special screw/slot combination (like Chicago screws) but able to remain in its up or down position? Nothing electrical, mind you, I'm still learning the basics of helmet making.

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out those darn "oval shaped ears" to connect it to.

Any help welcomed!

Bonus: Bondo Sanding = :facepalm ... What fun it is!

got the same task right now... already had an answere:

if you're looking for it to remain static for the most part, use a chicago screw / binding post w/ rubber grommets/washers, making it pivot at the bottom of the stalk

That's assuming you're not looking for something mechanical or fancy...

I may try out some spring washers too the next days

I'm used to working with fiberglass mando helmets, where the interior has been coated with a gel-layer, leaving it smooth enough that metal hardware/washers don't hold much grip. Naturally, the tighter you get the better it will stay,

So, the range finder stalks I'm used to working with are already rounded at the bottom and designed to pivot, so I'd make a counter-sink, drop the binding post in and mount it. I'd throw in a washer or two to allow me to tighten it, but put a rubber washer/grommet so that it is physically touching the wall of the helmet. This more or less prevents the rangefinder from wanting to move.

finished the rangefinder on my helmet today... this is what I used (made a little drawing):

I m not sure if its called a springwasher in english, but its a washer with a slit in it and also formed like a spring. together with the plasticwasher that gives also a little distance between the parts it works very well. the rengefinder always stay in place and with the guard nut you can just adjust how strength it should be.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back