Rose/Morris 1:1 Predator Head

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
I am in the process of getting a first generation casting 1:1 Predator head from Deluted Concepts. I have been searching for one ever since TMI bought the one Larry put up for sale. I am curious as to who "Morris" and "Rosengrant" are. From what I understand, I think it was sculpted by Rosengrant, and the molds were made by Morris?

I know that Steve Wang painted the P1, but I thought he also sculpted the original P1 design? I'm confused. If someone like Larry, Andrew, Mr Fett, Rob or anyone knows the story of who sculpted the very first original P1 screen used and then how this Morris/Rosengrant comes into play, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are some pics I have collected over the years. This thing is amazing. No wonder they call it the holy grail...

Morris_Rosengrant0.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant1.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant2.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant3.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant4.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant5.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant6.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant7.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant8.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant9.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant10.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant11.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant12.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant13.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant14.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant15.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant16.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant17.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant18.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant19.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant20.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant21.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant22.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant23.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant24.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant25.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant26.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant27.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant28.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant29.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant30.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant31.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant32.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant33.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant34.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant35.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant36.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant37.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant38.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant39.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant40.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant41.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant42.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant0.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant1.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant2.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant3.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant4.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant5.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant6.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant7.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant8.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant9.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant10.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant11.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant12.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant13.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant14.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant15.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant16.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant17.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant18.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant19.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant20.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant21.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant22.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant23.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant24.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant25.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant26.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant27.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant28.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant29.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant30.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant31.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant32.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant33.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant34.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant35.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant36.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant37.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant38.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant39.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant40.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant41.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant42.jpg

That is a fantastic prop! The story as I understand it, is that Matt Rose (far right) was the one who actually sculpted the P1 head, with Steve Wang (second from left) doing the painting on it only. Wang did do some sculpting on the P1, the bio, backpack and the cannon. Not sure who did the gauntlet tops. John Rosengrant and Shane Mahan (far left) sculpted all the rest - the whole body.
predgroup.jpg

predgroup.jpg

Well now that makes a lot more sense - thanks for the clarification Carl. So technically Matt Rose is the one who sculpted the P1 head itself and then Wang brought it to life with his insane paint skills. Thanks again Carl!

I'm not sure on the P1 stuff, but Rosengrant sculpted the P2 head, P2 feet (and perhaps most of the P2 body?) I've seen pics of other guys sculpting the P2 torso armor in the past so it wasn't a full Rosengrant job. He also did the painting on the main character P2 costumes.

I found out Shane Mahen grew up like 45 minutes away from where I currently live before moving out to California and working for Winston. Wish he'd come home sometime and let me know about it! ;) I know he worked on the Iron Man suits as well, so that's a bonus.

I love the overall shape of the head, but there is something odd about the mandibles to me. I would kill to get some quality pictures of the head without the mandibles on though.

-Chris

Unforgiven Hunter said:
I love the overall shape of the head, but there is something odd about the mandibles to me.
The mandibles were more than likely cast out of balloon grade latex to allow for easy flexibility over the radio controlled armature underneath. That could be why there's kind of a strange bulge present at the bottoms not seen in screen shots, not sure.

Predatr Hunter said:
So technically Matt Rose is the one who sculpted the P1 head itself and then Wang brought it to life with his insane paint skills.
You are correctamundo.
wangpaintinghead.jpg

wangpaintinghead.jpg

Jason , let me put this out there.

I HATE YOU ! !

i actually hate you about as much as i hate my lack of cash hehe.

Not quite holy grail ( that would be say,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a actual peice of the screen used suit ) but close

I was asked by a couple people how I know this is the actual "holy grail" cast of the Morris mold. Well, I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I DO have a very good eye. I compared the actual screen used head to the Deluted Concepts/Morris sculpt. The results speak for themselves in the pictures. There are so many similarities that it proves to me that the sculpt from Deluted Concepts is really taken from the screen used Morris mold.

In the first pic here, you can see the P1 on the left is a screencap, and the one on the right is the statue in Stan Winston Studios:
Morris_Rosengrant42.jpg

They look virtually identical because they were more than likely taken from the original Morris mold.

This picture shows the screen used on the right and the Deluted Concepts on the left:
Morris_Rosengrant40.jpg

They are almost identical

Someone asked me if Pat Magee's P1 was taken from a movie mold. I don't think so. There are LOT of differences between the Morris P1 and the Magee P1:
Morris on the left and Magee on the right:
DelutedConcepts_MageeFX_02.jpg

The most obvious difference is that the Magee P1 has a "hairlip" and the Morris doesn't

Next pic: Morris on the left and Magee on the right:
DelutedConcepts_MageeFX_01.jpg

This pic shows the most obvious differences being the lower mandibles/jawline and the dome of the head.

On the Magee P1 the upper mandilbles have been positioned in a more upright position. When I was going over this stuff it was just fascinating to compare the movie screenshots to the Deluted Concepts/Morris bust and also the Magee bust. Anyone else find this as interesting as I do?

Morris_Rosengrant42.jpg

Morris_Rosengrant40.jpg

DelutedConcepts_MageeFX_02.jpg

DelutedConcepts_MageeFX_01.jpg

I think the main thing to remember is the BUST is just that , a resin bust, the screen shots are from a LATEX version, so due to whatever was inside the mask, be it foam/animatronic etc, they will have dictated and shaped the head slightly different.

I guess the resin cast we see here is a product of, getting it as close shape wise as it was meant to be, to the original sculpt. as in screen shots from the film the head does not have that DIP in it, but that was probably due to KPH foam and animatronics dictating its shape.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back