RoS Leia Lightsaber

TheJekyll

Many of you have probably already seen Valor / Verity Cosplay and Psych0ticmisfit takes on Leia's lightsaber. I also had posted my take in the "New ROS Prop image" thread.

Like the others, I have been slowly refining and remodelling with the limited images we have. My first effort was a useful base to tinker with, and try to get something that more closely resembled what we saw in the images. This was also 3D printed.

LL1.jpg

LL3D.jpg

The main changes in this new model are the middle section with the fins, the upper emitter section and the button has been slightly changed. I think from looking at the others images, that mine might be a bit long, however this should be a simple fix.

LLA.jpg

LLA1.jpg

Like Valor and Verity Cosplay, I also believe there are some 'mother of pearl' inlays in the central 'finned' section, however it's incredibly difficult to tell whether these are raised above the main surface of that section, or if there is some other detailing.

I'm potentially hoping over the next couple of weeks to get a very very rough milled aluminium mock up done (minus all the 3D elements), and then gauge the next steps from the success of that.

TheJekyll,

On the subject of those pearl strips. I have NO proof and very little reference material to go on but what I THINK is happening is that they have a flat top surface. The narrow part of the strip is inscribed against the diameter of the body. So each side edge is flush against the body tube. This has the effect that the wider part of the strip actually raises some from the body tube and as such has lip.

this is what I think visually deceives the viewer into thinking the top surface has geometry shifts when it in fact is a flat piece of mother of pearl.

i am in the process of modeling this to see if it is consistent with what few photos we have.

Oh I can already see a ton of inaccuracies on Korbanth's offering.

but you gotta hand it to them; for the folks that think "close is good enough", they are gonna have a nice head start to sweep the market. Business-wise that was well-played.

BRRogers, Malaki Skywalker and I will be targeting the discerning accuracy and luxury market with our offering. Hence the rose gold and genuine mother of pearl and insane attention to detail like we are doing with the Hero.

It will remain to be seen whether that is a good move or not. Not a ton of interest in our interest thread yet which is a bit disconcerting.

But folks may be waiting to see how our Hero turns out.

Where is your thread? I did a search for leia and saber and a couple other things and couldn't find anything.

Where is your thread? I did a search for leia and saber and a couple other things and couldn't find anything.

Very sorry, I should have tagged your threads in this, but I didn't know how to.

Interesting to see Korbanth's offering, I expect it will be quite popular despite the oddities.

Oh I can already see a ton of inaccuracies on Korbanth's offering.

but you gotta hand it to them; for the folks that think "close is good enough", they are gonna have a nice head start to sweep the market. Business-wise that was well-played.

BRRogers, Malaki Skywalker and I will be targeting the discerning accuracy and luxury market with our offering. Hence the rose gold and genuine mother of pearl and insane attention to detail like we are doing with the Hero.

It will remain to be seen whether that is a good move or not. Not a ton of interest in our interest thread yet which is a bit disconcerting.

But folks may be waiting to see how our Hero turns out.
I am 100% buying the leia saber from Korbanth, because I want it now and it looks incredible!

HOWEVER, yes there are things missing on his that yours will have, and when yours is available I will purchase yours.

Think of it as a place holder... ahahahah cause I want it now.

I am 100% buying the leia saber from Korbanth, because I want it now and it looks incredible!

HOWEVER, yes there are things missing on his that yours will have, and when yours is available I will purchase yours.

Think of it as a place holder... ahahahah cause I want it now.
I can totally understand and support that. I am tempted to do the same thing myself haha.

Well, a big thank you to CGClone for kindly offering to 3D print my first model and send it to me in return for him being able to print one for himself, very kind. The 3D print arrived today and it’s amazing to see and feel a physical copy of the model.

A65990B2-EB46-4EBF-8A8B-0248161C09BD.jpeg

5C1A0D83-3D2A-440D-97B4-5F9482607FB7.jpeg

Holding the physical lightsaber, I feel fairly comfortable with the dimensions, most of which have copied over into my second model. I think it might be a touch long, however it’s commensurate in length with other lightsabers. Korbanth’s, however looks to be much shorter than mine.

There’s also a few items which I’ll need to ‘fix’, mainly the pommel section and the rings either side of the grip. They feel a bit on the small side.

But overall, I feel like being able to hold the first model will make it a good stepping stone to developing my current model.

Again, many thanks to CGClone

So! It's been a while, and I've been slowly tinkering with my 3D model, since the release of the film and new content to work from. I'm now at a fairly happy place with the model, and since recently acquiring an Elegoo Mars 3D printer, I've been slowly printing out the pieces for the lightsaber.

First, 3D renders :
V3a.jpg
V3b.jpg

Now, the 3D printed model :

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

There's a few things that haven't printed amazingly, but that's down to this being my first foray into 3D printing and acclimatising to the nuances of the printer, and what you can and can't print. So I will look to rectify those pieces over the next few days, and hope to get a total print that I'm 100% happy with.

I'm also still working on the design of the button itself, and may look to go back into changing the emitter and wind-vane section, but at the moment, I'm quite happy with where this is heading. Once I've got a fully nailed on print, I will be looking to get the paints out!

Well, I have finally finished my first ever prop, and boy what a journey!

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4314.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

This first lightsaber was painted using some basic Rustoleum rattle can paints, but I've since purchased a cheap airbrush kit, so I've started work on a second using Vallejo paints, which gives a much better copper colour.

I'm debating whether to use a gloss varnish on these, as I'm not 100% convinced on the benefits of doing so. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

IMG_4317.jpg

I'd also like to give a massive thank you to Verity Cosplay and Valor , who have both given me helpful hints and guidance along the way and have helped me complete my first prop!

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpg
    IMG_4308.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4308.jpg
    IMG_4308.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4314.jpg
    IMG_4314.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4316.jpg
    IMG_4316.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 192
Well, I have finally finished my first ever prop, and boy what a journey!

View attachment 1305556
View attachment 1305557
View attachment 1305558
View attachment 1305559
View attachment 1305560

This first lightsaber was painted using some basic Rustoleum rattle can paints, but I've since purchased a cheap airbrush kit, so I've started work on a second using Vallejo paints, which gives a much better copper colour.

I'm debating whether to use a gloss varnish on these, as I'm not 100% convinced on the benefits of doing so. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

View attachment 1305561

I'd also like to give a massive thank you to Verity Cosplay and Valor , who have both given me helpful hints and guidance along the way and have helped me complete my first prop!

Looks awesome! How exciting. I recently ordered an FDM printer myself and will be joining you in the world of 3D printing shortly. I went with a Prusa MK3S. It's going to take forever to assemble but the results will be fun.

So the Elegoo is a resin printer, huh? That's very cool. The benefits of resin printing are showing in the smoothness of your work.

Looks awesome! How exciting. I recently ordered an FDM printer myself and will be joining you in the world of 3D printing shortly. I went with a Prusa MK3S. It's going to take forever to assemble but the results will be fun.

So the Elegoo is a resin printer, huh? That's very cool. The benefits of resin printing are showing in the smoothness of your work.

Thank you!

Yes it's a resin printer, there's a lot less processing work required in terms of sanding. The resin printers seemed a lot more 'plug and play' which benefited me a lot, however I do wish the build volume was much bigger. I will definitely have to give FDM printing a go soon!

Enjoy your 3D printer! I'm sure you'll be having a lot of fun with it, and I look forward to seeing what you make! :)

Hello! I’m new to The RPF and this is my first ever post, so hopefully I’m doing this correctly.

I’ve been looking at creating my own Leia lightsaber hilt for display, as the ones I’ve seen for purchase are waaaay too expensive. Of all the ones I’ve seen, the one created by TheJekyll is my favorite!

TheJekyll I was wondering where you got the 3D pattern, and how you did the mother-of-Pearl look inlay? Any other advice or info you could share with me would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 32C4A2E1-AD17-4C7F-B180-3AE04A5943DF.jpeg
    32C4A2E1-AD17-4C7F-B180-3AE04A5943DF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 141
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back