Rooster Cogburn Overcoat? (True Grit 2010)

FPLeatherCo

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
rooster-cogburn-coat.jpg

Anyone have some ideas on what this coat is? I've searched for military overcoats from the 19th and 20th century and all manner of wool double-breasted coat but haven't found any that match up.

Just re-watched this great film last night and started thinking about this outfit. I've not come up with anything close to this that was period-accurate. The most I found close was an old Luftwaffe mantel coat.

There are some other European army greatcoats that are close too. But they all have too much of a military look; rolled sleeves, epaulets, and generally wrong collar and cut.

Looks like a US Army Greatcoat circa 1880 with the cape removed. Possibly overdyed black. Brass buttons substituted for plain civilian ones.

Attachments

• IW-GreatCoatMntCav-VL_SMwm.jpg
    IW-GreatCoatMntCav-VL_SMwm.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 73
It appears to be a civilian coat— as pointed out, there are no epaulets or cuffs. Also note the lapel, military coats are cut differently, like the one above.

If you have an image of the back, the placement of the seams can help immensely. It may just be a double breasted frock coat.

It appears to be a civilian coat— as pointed out, there are no epaulets or cuffs. Also note the lapel, military coats are cut differently, like the one above.

If you have an image of the back, the placement of the seams can help immensely. It may just be a double breasted frock coat.

Yeah, I've been leaning toward civilian too. It looks like a pretty basic wool overcoat, double-breasted, with that specific collar and button layout. Slant pockets too.

Here are a few more pictures:

224715_0.jpg

224716_0.jpg

The costume designer for True Grit 2010 is Mary Zophres. She called it an Ulster coat in a video for the movie. Some Ulster coats have capes, Rooster's obviously does not and I found examples of both versions on the internet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back