Prop Store

Ronin : Vincent [Jean Reno] Mask

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by poormansjb, Mar 28, 2012.

1. poormansjb

poormansjb Well-Known Member

To allow for close-ups of the spectacular car crashes in Ronin [1998] without revealing the stunt crew, ultra-realistic -- the stubble and brows are real hair embedded in hand-colored silicone -- masks like these were created for each lead character, including Jean Reno's "Vincent" shown here.

I acquired the masks -- for whatever reason, they came in pairs ... mounted on stunt driver lifecasts which were in turn locked down inside steamer trunks -- during the liquidation auction of 20th Century Props in 2009.

View attachment 88794 View attachment 88795

There's no sign of use so not sure if these were duplicates or if the idea was abandoned altogether; I can't imagine the drivers agreeing in the end to wear the heavy, restrictive appliances.

2. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

VERY cool, Used or not, they're very impressive.
    A pair you say :love

3. poormansjb

Yes, alas, given how they're arranged, I can't break them up ... kind of a set. Here's the original auction listing pic:

View attachment 88923

4. terryr

terryr Sr Member

That's wild. I'll have to look closely the next time I watch it.

I know they used right hand drive cars [British] with fake steering wheels on the left, so it looked like the actors were driving.

5. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of my favorite movies. Frankenheimer was the master of filming cars being driven fast.

6. poormansjb

That there's no CGI involved in that film is pretty amazing.